konjic1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Chinups and Pullups -- the difference

Just wondering what the difference is between a "pull up" and a "chin up". I had always used the terms interchangeably, but I noticed some people refer to them as though they are different exercises. I had a look here and here and I really can't discern any difference. Any pointers for me?

PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Pull up - hands face away from you. Chin up - hands face you.

31F20 First in, Last out army_vet's Avatar
    army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by PROSA
    Pull up - hands face away from you. Chin up - hands face you.
    And usually the pull ups you use a wider grip than the chin ups. Also each use a different muscle group.
    If it moves, salute it; if it doesn't move, pick it up; and if you can't pick it up, paint it.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    p- palms facing awya
    c- palms facing you; more bicep recruitment

Originally posted by army_vet
    And usually the pull ups you use a wider grip than the chin ups. Also each use a different muscle group.
    not really; it's just the amount of stress bicep is taking; plus grip for both should be more or less shoulder width; so it really just comes down to wich way palms face

bukem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    p- palms facing awya

so it really just comes down to wich way palms face
    Bump to you Bruv. ( again! )

army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) army_vet has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    p- palms facing awya

not really; it's just the amount of stress bicep is taking; plus grip for both should be more or less shoulder width; so it really just comes down to wich way palms face
    I would say that chin ups are more of a bicep exercise, and if you think I am wrong about the muscle groups, I bet you can do alot more chin ups than pullups. And if they used the same muscle group wouldn't you think you could do the same amount of reps on both exercises?
    If it moves, salute it; if it doesn't move, pick it up; and if you can't pick it up, paint it.

I would say that chin ups are more of a bicep exercise, and if you think I am wrong about the muscle groups, I bet you can do alot more chin ups than pullups. And if they used the same muscle group wouldn't you think you could do the same amount of reps on both exercises?
    Hyper has said that chins use more bi's and it is true they use the same muscle groups the thing is they are both compound movements the reason pulls are more dificult is becuase they use alot of forearm and a different part of the bi.

Originally posted by bukem
    Hyper has said that chins use more bi's and it is true they use the same muscle groups the thing is they are both compound movements the reason pulls are more dificult is becuase they use alot of forearm and a different part of the bi.
    Its funny because we are all saying the same thing. We are all right. The important thing is to do the exercise, lol.

chins recruit more biceps than pullups do, thus letting you use more weight/reps. back involvement is still pretty much the same.

so really it's the same muscle groups, just differing proportions of stress

PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that using a neutral grip (hands facing each other) is also considered a chin.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that using a neutral grip (hands facing each other) is also considered a chin.
    I think you have hit a question,.... I really don't know.
    I have always called them a pull. i'm probably wrong

yea

konjic1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks.

ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    chins recruit more biceps than pullups do, thus letting you use more weight/reps. back involvement is still pretty much the same.
    Bump.

That's why I have converted from pullups to chins. I just think it's a better exercise.
    36 years old
    150 lbs
    7% bf

Originally posted by ahadabans
    Bump.

That's why I have converted from pullups to chins. I just think it's a better exercise.
    me too