GrecoWrestler-Kickboxing MastaM's Avatar
    MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Dips - Shoulder Pain

I have recently added tricep dips to my workout and have been doing them for about 3 weeks now. I have seen significant results, but when doing the dips, I get some shoulder pain. When I reach the point of the upper arm being about parallel to the floor, I get a stabbing pain in my left shoulder (more near the anterior portion of it). I was wondering if you are suppose to hold the position when your upper arms are parellel to the floor or are you suppose to slightly bounce when going parellel (like a full squat)? Any responces are appreciated. Thank you.

USAF BB, One of the few. J_White1's Avatar
    J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Maybe its just me, but I NEVER bounce anything. Period. Not stretch, exercise, or otherwise.

But to answer your question, stabbing pain is never a good sign. How is your form? And yes, the general concensus here is to go until your upper arm is parallel, although I like to go just a bit further. It doesn't bother my shoulders. Are you doing them weighted or not?

If it is a problem with your body not being able to handle dips, there are many other very good tricep exercises to choose from. For example, my gym has a dip machine that I find pretty decent, but it depends on how strong you are. Also, decline CGBP would probably be a decent alternative.

JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You may simply not be built to go past parallel on dips. I would definitely not continue doing something that feels unnatural and causes pain. Just because people on this site tell you are "suppose" to go to parallel or past doesn't mean you have to. The same goes for squats and everyone's fascination/obsession on this site with going "ATG."

I also would not bounce down and out of parallel, that is just asking for an injury imo . Do the most complete range of motion you feel comfortable with while staying in control and pain free. There is a big difference between an exercise being hard, and something causing sharp pain. Like the above poster said there are many alternate exercises that effectively target the tri's/pecs/delts. No exercise is absolutely mandatory for bodybuilding.

buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffmanjohnson is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yeh i had the same problem, i had a really bad pain in my collar bone and so stopped doing them. found out its usually caused by a pre-existing shoulder injury and that u shuld avoid it if u get bad pain in that area.

Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Check your form. Don't let your shoulders "shrug" up on your way down. Keep them solid and locked just moving your arms.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter

-Winston Churchill

GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs down

I never had any issusues with bodyweight dips. I recently got my dip belt, and discovered that using it with 10lb made my shoulder hurt. I went down to 5lb, and it is fine. Apparently this is something that requires slow progress by small increments.

Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000)
    At my gym, the dip machines allow for 2 different grips, wide and narrow. Wides tend to make my shoulder hurt in the area your describing but the narrow grip does not. If you have the option, maybe try the narrow.
    "Never let weakness convince you that you lack strength" -

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Make sure your decline portion of the movement is SLOW and CONTROLLED. Don't crash down on your shoulders. In addition, if it hurts, try not to go past parallel.

Have you ever had a rotator cuff injury before?
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by MastaM View Post
    I have recently added tricep dips to my workout and have been doing them for about 3 weeks now. I have seen significant results, but when doing the dips, I get some shoulder pain. When I reach the point of the upper arm being about parallel to the floor, I get a stabbing pain in my left shoulder (more near the anterior portion of it). I was wondering if you are suppose to hold the position when your upper arms are parellel to the floor or are you suppose to slightly bounce when going parellel (like a full squat)? Any responces are appreciated. Thank you.
    No bouncing. Descend under control. Give your shoulders some time to become more flexible so stop shy of parallel for a while and see how you go, but if the pain persists as you try to increase the ROM, drop them. It's not worth it when you've got other options (CGBP, dip machine, etc.)

zackday30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zackday30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zackday30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zackday30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MastaM View Post
    I was having the same problem, and it was because my rotator cuff was extremely tight, along with my anterior deltoids. Try stretching your rotator cuff on a flat bench with 2.5 lb weights. Let your arms hang with a 90 degree angle at the elbow, palms up with the weight in your hands. That should loosen you up... Also you can stretch your delts by placing each arm behind you, one at a time (don't do both at the same time) on an incline bench bar, and kneel down at your own comfort level. I use both of these stretches everyday now, and have no discomfort. (It helps to have a mom as a physical therapist). Try that out and let me know if that helps...

My Business Is Serious InternetsUser's Avatar
    InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InternetsUser is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I had collarbone pain from dips that was building up a few weeks back (see my post history if you want to read more). Yesterday I hit the dips for the first time in several workouts. When I did not go down very far (arms parallel or above) I felt nothing wrong.

jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    Make sure your decline portion of the movement is SLOW and CONTROLLED. Don't crash down on your shoulders. In addition, if it hurts, try not to go past parallel.

Have you ever had a rotator cuff injury before?
    X2.....I never go past parallel. I stopped doing dips for a while becuase it was hurting my shoulders and once I stopped going past parallel and slowed down the move, the pain went away.

mikeincarolina has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Take this advice with a couple of pounds of salt, but I think I have the same pain and have made a few successful adjustments. I feel it during dips but more when I'm doing close grip presses with the EZ bar(superset after doing tri extentions with the same bar).

The way I adjust during the dips is with my leg positions: I started with my legs in a 'scorpion' position (one ankle tucked behind the other foot, knees bent, heel almost touching butt). I noticed if I kept my legs straight when doing the excercise, it was less pain. I've taken that a step further and have recently been dipping with my knees bent/tucked towards my stomach.

I guess the legs change the ROM/center of gravity.

I'm not sure how important leg position is to proper form..it just worked for me as it relates to my shoulder pain. Definitely wait for(or seek) more feedback if you plan on trying my suggestn.

liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liverpool4ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    you are leaning forward to much
    Last edited by liverpool4ever; 04-23-2007 at 12:40 PM.

GrecoWrestler-Kickboxing MastaM's Avatar
    MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks for the help everybody. Keeping my legs straight and just going a little bit above parellel makes a huge difference.