jlells01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlells01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlells01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlells01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlells01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlells01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlells01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlells01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlells01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlells01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlells01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Muscle "Plateau Effect"??

Something I've heard mentioned lately is the muscle "plateau effect", whereas your body adjusts to the exercises you're doing, so over a period of time, the results are diminished...

WTF???

As long as you are adding weight to the bar, how can your muscles "plateau"?

tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    let's pretend the y axis of below graph is weight lifted and the x axis is time. After a while you will not gain as fast as before. Therefore you have plateaued.

However you change exercises, set/rep schemes, intensity, etc. you may be able to overcome plateaus and get gains more like this (where plateaus are overcome to increase strength quickly but then plateaus again so things are changed around and the cycle is repeated):

Last edited by tbush; 04-22-2007 at 03:08 PM.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jlells01 View Post
    Something I've heard mentioned lately is the muscle "plateau effect", whereas your body adjusts to the exercises you're doing, so over a period of time, the results are diminished...

WTF???

Like he said above, your body becomes accustomed to the tension being placed on it and adapts to the movement. You won't be able to add weight easily once you hit a plateau. You'll have to switch to another movement, something which your body hasn't become adapted too. There are other ways to break a plateau too.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

koss2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) koss2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) koss2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) koss2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) koss2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) koss2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) koss2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) koss2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) koss2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) koss2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) koss2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How long would it take to plateau though ? Can anyone share any experinces or anything ? just curious

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by koss2010 View Post
    How long would it take to plateau though ? Can anyone share any experinces or anything ? just curious
    Usually, if you're a newbie, it'll come in a few months, possibly. For more experienced lifters, it can be more common depending upon your training methods.

In the end, it's impossible to say when it'll strike. That's why coaches and trainers recommend switching up your routine every few months if not weeks.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jlells01 View Post

WTF???

TO me its all horse rubbish, Add weight, keep hitting it hard, your body will NOT adapt. All in all, y ou get bored, dont hit it as hard, but you think you are, so you dont progress because you got bored. Then you cry oo Iv hit a platue
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Your King

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ITHURTZ View Post
    TO me its all horse rubbish, Add weight, keep hitting it hard, your body will NOT adapt
    Well I guess you know better than all those stupid coaches, powerlifters, and bodybuilders.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I speak from personal preference. Iv done bb and dumbell bench for over 4.5yrs now, with a personal best of 365x1 and started from a 30x1

Your King

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rockhuddy View Post
    Well I guess you know better than all those stupid coaches, powerlifters, and bodybuilders.
    Doesn't everyone here?

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I speak from personal preference. Iv done bb and dumbell bench for over 4.5yrs now, with a personal best of 365x1 and started from a 30x1
    Lol, that's it? That's all you've got? 4 years of training and a 365 bench?

Dave Tate:
    "Let me explain very quickly. How much can you currently squat? If you answered 500 pounds, I'd reply, "How much more do you know about squatting now compared to when you could only squat 300 pounds? How much more will you have to learn to squat 700 pounds?"
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Dave Tate:
    "Let me explain very quickly. How much can you currently squat? If you answered 500 pounds, I'd reply, "How much more do you know about squatting now compared to when you could only squat 300 pounds? How much more will you have to learn to squat 700 pounds?"
    Well, obviously if someone is stronger, they are more knowledgeable about that exercise. But.. what if one person had a stronger BB bench, and another had a stronger DB bench.. Who would be more knowledgeable about chest training?

(Not serious)

Dave Tate:

If you understand in 4.5 years ALOT happens that can stop, or limit ur growth. And thats a 74lb increase per year, or 6.2lbs a month. Lets see you do that

Your King

Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000)
    TO me its all horse rubbish, Add weight, keep hitting it hard, your body will NOT adapt. All in all, y ou get bored, dont hit it as hard, but you think you are, so you dont progress because you got bored. Then you cry oo Iv hit a platue
    I agree to an extent. I dont like the modern day philosphy of always changing things up and variety. Personally I like to use what works best and hit it hard, I have no doubt 5 years from now I will be using pretty much the same base of excercises I do now.

Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mercerdan View Post
    Props on the great progress for 4+ years

I just wanted to get back on track and add something..

To ITHURTZ "TO me its all horse rubbish, Add weight, keep hitting it hard, your body will NOT adapt. All in all, y ou get bored, dont hit it as hard, but you think you are, so you dont progress because you got bored. Then you cry oo Iv hit a platue"

I think you might misunderstand the concept of platue... it is not necessarily about hitting a platue in regards to getting stronger.. some people stop gaining size when they hit a platue but continue to grow stronger.. that is the result of your body getting used to a movement.

Ever notice that you see great gains when you start lifting but eventually slow down.. but you can consistantly put on strength such as 6.2lbs per month.
    No if you sotp gaining size but continue to get strong it is almost certainly attributed to not enough cals especially protein cals.

I dont know what your smoking but the beggining newbie size gains and strength both tend to dip down at about the same time. If you can consistently put on strength such as 6.2 pounds a month with no size gains then something is wrong with your program.

When you get advanced both size AND STRENGTH will be harder to gain.

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)

Durrrrrr

there are other ways of breaking a plateau besides switching exercises. you can change the angle of pull, change rep scheme, change order of exercise in workout, forced reps, change tempo, change your underwear, etc... thats what makes bodybulding fun in my eyes, is that it truly is a sculpture in constant progress.
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

russ10002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mtguy8787 View Post
    Well, obviously if someone is stronger, they are more knowledgeable about that exercise. But.. what if one person had a stronger BB bench, and another had a stronger DB bench.. Who would be more knowledgeable about chest training?

(Not serious)
    Strength can also come with genes. I know people who are much stronger than me but have terrible form

SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by russ10002 View Post
    Strength can also come with genes. I know people who are much stronger than me but have terrible form
    strong 5-year bump

wtf!?

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by russ10002 View Post
    Strong bump, weak excuse
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

dbo901 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Everyone has different bodies that react differently. If you don't hit stopping points thats cool, your one of the few. Or maybe your seeing results, but found that if you did switch it up you would see that much more results.