Adam_xx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wrist/Forearm and Elbow Pain (Pics included)

Ok, so I have two seperate problems:

Problem #1 - Forearm Pain:
    While performing relatively heavy sets of barbell curls and especially EZ Bar curls, my forearm feels like the bone is about to snap at the Ulna bone (the forearm bone that is on the inside of your body when your palm is facing up) and when I put the bar down the pain amplifies greatly when I let go unless I release my grip very slowly.
    I have taken a picture of the area of pain that occurs, and have highlighted the painful area with my trusty fluro yellow zink (sunsafe, oh yeah!).

Image here:
    http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1663/image007hk6.jpg

Why is this? Is this because of weak forearms (my forearm muscles dont really grow up my forearm bones that much at all and as a result are quite small), or is it bad form, or is it something that just happens?

I have recently purchased some wrist support straps for my next gym session so I'll let you know how it goes, but is there anything else that I should be worried about? I haven't seen the doctor yet but I'm considering asking him about it, thought I'd ask here first.

Problem #2 - Elbow Joint / Funny Bone pain
    Ok, this happened about 2 weeks ago when I was doing some incline and decline dumbbell press sets, and this was the first time I had moved up in dumbell size (I added an additional 5kg to each d.b.) After the set were over I noticed that same kind of aching pain I have in my forearms just on the inside of my funny bone. This is the elbow bone that is on the inside of the elbow when your palms are faced upwards and your arm is stretched outwards. When you curl your hand up to touch your shoulder it is the bone that sticks out of your elbow at the inside-bottom corner.

Image:
    http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3815/image008ry8.jpg

In the image I have marked both the bone I am talking about, and in yellow I have marked where the bone aches. Just on the inside of the bone there.

Any idea what this is? When I press it now it sort of aches like I'm pushing a bruise.

Was this just because my bones aren't used to the additional weight? Was I lifting bad form? Any idea? etc...

Cheers guys thanks for your time

kush has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kush has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kush has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kush has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kush has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kush has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kush has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kush has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    same thing happened to me, with the forearm pain. It slowly started going away. Just make sure you are using good form, get the set done quickly and then slowly put the weight down and slowly release, I started working out biceps only once a week, and also only did about 4 working sets when I did workout biceps of about 4-6 reps. Try that, only other thing that you could do, which I know is disappointing is take a month break or so, or use lower weight
    all work no play

Registered User strivingforsize's Avatar
    strivingforsize has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is the exact problem I was searching for on the 'injury recovery and prevention' forum.
    I have this problem right now, but it goes away and comes back. Straight bar curls seem to aggravate the worse.
    I talked to a physical therapist at the gym I work out at, and he said it is almost like a 'shin splint effect' on the ulna. They make a strap that applies pressure to area, or wrap it prior to lifting. Exercises that seem to irritate it should be avoided asap.

Jim Jerriko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by strivingforsize View Post
    This is the exact problem I was searching for on the 'injury recovery and prevention' forum.
    I have this problem right now, but it goes away and comes back. Straight bar curls seem to aggravate the worse.
    I talked to a physical therapist at the gym I work out at, and he said it is almost like a 'shin splint effect' on the ulna. They make a strap that applies pressure to area, or wrap it prior to lifting. Exercises that seem to irritate it should be avoided asap.
    Using a wrap before you lift does make this go away over a week or two. If I do curls without them, my elbows start to hurt again.

ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had a similar case about 18 months ago. It was particularly bad during EZ Bar curls, just as you had, and the location was the same as your photograph. If memory serves me, there was a name I found for it, something along the lines of ulnar stress syndrome. The cure for me was pretty easy - wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, once per week. After about three-four weeks of this, I had no more issues.

Good luck.

ScubaDave

skeetskeetskeet is on a distinguished road. (+10) skeetskeetskeet is on a distinguished road. (+10) skeetskeetskeet is on a distinguished road. (+10) skeetskeetskeet is on a distinguished road. (+10) skeetskeetskeet is on a distinguished road. (+10) skeetskeetskeet is on a distinguished road. (+10) skeetskeetskeet is on a distinguished road. (+10) skeetskeetskeet is on a distinguished road. (+10) skeetskeetskeet is on a distinguished road. (+10) skeetskeetskeet is on a distinguished road. (+10) skeetskeetskeet is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am bumpin this old thread bc this exact elbow problem is really holding me back when it comes to any pressing movement and has really hampered gains over the last two weeks since I cannot use heavy weight anymore....

See a doctor or use a lot of glucosamine +chondritin??? ideas??

chasn w8t's like its pu$y Jamps's Avatar
    Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000)
    1. Warm it up pre training (use something like bengay or tigerpalm)
    2. Ice it for 15-20 mins after training

3. Do 100 reps of bi curls and tri ext. on non bi/tri days. Don't do all 100 at once. Do sets throughout the day. ex: 50 reps am, 50 reps pm. or break it up into 4 sets doing only 20 reps. Key is to not go to failure here. This will increase the blood flow around the elbow joint which should help the healing process. (you can also do things like wrist curls/ext, or a really light gripper. But make sure you don't go to failure and that is real light. I think it would be something that is 30-40% of your 1RM

5. Get something like this http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/celadrin.html and massage it into the area 2-4x/day (if you don't get this then get something that atleast has Arnica in it). I use this daily, and i use tiger balm only on heavy pressing days.

6. After training (prior to icing), do elbow and forearm/wrist/finger stretches.
    7. Do the ART (active release therapy) thing that the guy above recommended. If you cant do this then get a foam roller and roll that shyt out, or get a tennis ball.

8. Wear wrist wraps and also get some elbow sleaves/wraps

9. Take a break from lifting for a week or 2 (deloading) and if you must lift then go really light and not to failure (that is if you want to minimize the detraining effect of deloading)

10. Stop doing exercises that hurt and try to reduce the ROM on presses. Also, try to use Dumbells where u would typically use barbells (that is if you still insist on working out). Also make sure you are getting a good warm up prior to your working/main Set (2-4).

Lastly.....

Check out this link: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=475832

check out at the way bottom, they show you how to do it with the triceps. I think you can also do it with your forearms. But like i said earlier, i believe you can use a tennis ball (but try to invest in the foam roller)

Also read this: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1270397

Supplements:

glucosamin+chondroitin+ msm mix
    cissus
    bosweli (or 5-loxin. Anything that is an anti-inflamatory)
    MCHC (for bones...)

Check out these 2 products:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/san/bone.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/olabs/in.html

Diet- spices....

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by jampsifit; 06-24-2007 at 06:17 PM.

awolsystems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wraps and Support lifts

I had/have this problem aswell. I purchased a set of harbinger gloves with the wrist wraps built in and i love them. they support my wrist and help to bolster my forarms. recently i've also added two more major forarm workouts to strengthen the entire area. All of these combines things have really helped to build muscle and reinforce my forarms, which has led to less pain and more gains. Like alot of the other posts have said though, form is a huge part aswell as a slow release of the bar after a set.

chasn w8t's like its pu$y Jamps's Avatar
    Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000) Jamps is just really nice. (+1000)

Red face

Originally Posted by awolsystems View Post
    I had/have this problem aswell. I purchased a set of harbinger gloves with the wrist wraps built in and i love them. they support my wrist and help to bolster my forarms. recently i've also added two more major forarm workouts to strengthen the entire area. All of these combines things have really helped to build muscle and reinforce my forarms, which has led to less pain and more gains. Like alot of the other posts have said though, form is a huge part aswell as a slow release of the bar after a set.
    I have the same gloves......and love em!

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I am thinking some type of nerve irritation as the most likey culprit to give the symptoms you describe. I shall look into it more though, but it is a consideration.