Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Figure Competition Questions

Hi all!
    I've been reading this forum for quite a while under my husband's log in, but since I wanted to post I decided to join...and here I am.

I have some questions that generally I don't notice getting asked or discussed here.

I have been working out for over 10 years now but as every "newbie" does, I kinda just went thru the motions. Those bad habits followed me for years and about 2 years ago, I joined a new gym. This gym is a pretty competitive gym as a lot of the members actually compete. So I started learning how to train correctly as well as starting to actually read and get educated myself.

A year and a half ago, I learned about dieting and how to use it to my training advantage. Needless to say, I've come a LOOOOOOOOOONG way in 2 years and even more so in the past few months as I have decided to compete in my first figures competition next month.

The problem at my new gym is, the majority of the competitors are men and not sure about the figures division. The women that compete have different schedules than me and are hard to catch up with. When I do catch them, I have so many questions that I pick and chose so I don't interrupt or hold them up.

That's why I decided to ask here. The competition is just around the corner and I need some general advice.

Here goes:

*When you start dieting down for competition, generally when do you start carb depleting? I weigh 123 and week ago at I dropped my carb intake to about 100-120 daily. I am 18 days out from competition and this week I dropped them to 90ish. I know I have to "carb deplete" but I am not sure to what extent and when exactly do I need to begin dropping them even more?

*I am looking for suggestions on a good/GREAT water pill. Right now I just take one by Sundown but I'm not sure what my co-competitors are using (and again, when I catch them to ask-this does not usually fall in order of priority, so I usually don't get around to asking this one).

*"Flushing" or dehydrating. Thoughts on it? Anyone?
    One co-competitor suggested 3 gallons of water the Sunday before competition and slowly weaning myself down to almost none the day of competition. However, she looks good but never places well and I'm not sure that's the way to go or to even trust her suggestions.

*What are your thoughts on NOT weight lifting the entire week prior to competition, cardio only, eating some carbs the evening prior or morning of the show and then getting a good pump pre-show?

*Shoes-the USBF requires your shoes to be black or clear. Most I have seen wear are clear. Any suggestions on where to find great shoes at a decent price? www.trashy.com was suggested to me, but I don't see any there I like.

*Tanning products-just looking for opinions as to what works the best, looks the best, ease of using, streaks least, dries nice, etc...

Sorry for hitting you with all this at once, but at the very least it should make for great conversation!

Thanks!
    Gwennie

Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I will try to fill in what I do. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Captain Gwen View Post
    Here goes:

*When you start dieting down for competition, generally when do you start carb depleting? I weigh 123 and week ago at I dropped my carb intake to about 100-120 daily. I am 18 days out from competition and this week I dropped them to 90ish. I know I have to "carb deplete" but I am not sure to what extent and when exactly do I need to begin dropping them even more?
    At this point in my diet, I'm carb cycling. The only carbs I get are non-starchy vegetable carbs like lettuce, green beans, and asparagus. I carb-up twice a week, once on Sunday night and once on Wednesday night. For the last week I carb up on Wednesday night, normal on Thursday AM and then beef and grapefruit until the competition. This works pretty well for me. If you're not carb cycling yet, I'm not sure that I would suggest it. It may be too late in the game for you to give it a try.

*I am looking for suggestions on a good/GREAT water pill. Right now I just take one by Sundown but I'm not sure what my co-competitors are using (and again, when I catch them to ask-this does not usually fall in order of priority, so I usually don't get around to asking this one).
    I like Taraxatone and dandelion root. I have many friends that potassium load right before the contest, but that has been a disaster for me.

One co-competitor suggested 3 gallons of water the Sunday before competition and slowly weaning myself down to almost none the day of competition. However, she looks good but never places well and I'm not sure that's the way to go or to even trust her suggestions.
    I usually drink about 1 1/2 gallons per day during prep. The final week I usually do something like this: Sunday - 2 gallons, Monday - 2 gallons, Tuesday - 2 gallons, Wednesday - 1 1/2 gallons, Thursday - 1 gallon, Friday - 1/2 gallon. On Saturday I take small drinks if I need it, and of course drinks with my supps.

*What are your thoughts on NOT weight lifting the entire week prior to competition, cardio only, eating some carbs the evening prior or morning of the show and then getting a good pump pre-show?
    I lift light legs on Sunday and upper body Monday-Wednesday. This is more of a cirucuit style training, and just aimed at getting a good pump.

*Shoes-the USBF requires your shoes to be black or clear. Most I have seen wear are clear. Any suggestions on where to find great shoes at a decent price? www.trashy.com was suggested to me, but I don't see any there I like.
    Sorry, I can't remember where I got mine, and I'm not at home to look it up

*Tanning products-just looking for opinions as to what works the best, looks the best, ease of using, streaks least, dries nice, etc...
    I like Olympic tan. I also like Tammy Pie's Elite Tan. I have had bad luck with ProTan. It turns me green.

Sorry for hitting you with all this at once, but at the very least it should make for great conversation!

Thanks!
    Gwennie
    I hope that helps. The key is to have a plan and stick to it. If things don't work, change them for the next go round.

Good luck.
    Simp's Back: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165133671&page=1

Working to regain strength, muscle, endurance, and lose some blubber. Damn you drinking-wine-on-the-couch. Why are you so good?

ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi all!
    I've been reading this forum for quite a while under my husband's log in, but since I wanted to post I decided to join...and here I am.

I have some questions that generally I don't notice getting asked or discussed here.

I have been working out for over 10 years now but as every "newbie" does, I kinda just went thru the motions. Those bad habits followed me for years and about 2 years ago, I joined a new gym. This gym is a pretty competitive gym as a lot of the members actually compete. So I started learning how to train correctly as well as starting to actually read and get educated myself.

A year and a half ago, I learned about dieting and how to use it to my training advantage. Needless to say, I've come a LOOOOOOOOOONG way in 2 years and even more so in the past few months as I have decided to compete in my first figures competition next month.

The problem at my new gym is, the majority of the competitors are men and not sure about the figures division. The women that compete have different schedules than me and are hard to catch up with. When I do catch them, I have so many questions that I pick and chose so I don't interrupt or hold them up.

That's why I decided to ask here. The competition is just around the corner and I need some general advice.

Here goes:

Thanks!
    Gwennie
    getting ready to go into a meeting, but wanted to answer:

1) i cut my carb intake 2 months out from a competition. then i drastically reduce that amount 2 weeks out from the comp, and even more the week before. what works best for one person, may not work best for another. this is really something you learn as you go along.

2) i don't do water pills - i don't think they're necessary if you've cut properly for 2 or so months before the competition and if you are monitoring your water intake the week before. the only thing extra i do to lose the water is take dandelion root pills the week of the show, perhaps hit the sauna once before i put my color on, and of course start cutting water down drastically the week of the show.

3) for dehydrating the week before - i do this:
    2 gallons sunday
    2 gallons monday
    1.5 gallons tuesday
    1 gallon weds
    .5 gallon thurs
    .25 gallon friday before 6pm. after 6 pm only sips.
    sips on show day until all is said and done after finals. then i guzzle water like crazy and put on about 5lbs.

4) google figure competition shoes or something similar to that - i think the brand of mine is "elsie" - that may help

5) i like protan - no greenness for me, but this is something that is different for everyone as well!!

good luck, you're going to have fun and become an addict like the rest of us!
    I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.

Dreamscapes and Chplhillgymgirl: Year 7.

Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Captain Gwen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you both for your replies! You don't know how much it really does help me out!

Can I just get clarification on one thing from both of you though?

Simpy, what do your numbers look like each day when you cycle?

ChplHillGymGirl, what is your typical off season daily carb intake-your 2 month out daily carb intake and one week prior daily intake?

THANKS again!

Gwennie

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH!!! One more thing!!!

I'm trying to find that "IT" song for my posing routine...any suggestions?

ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thank you both for your replies! You don't know how much it really does help me out!

Can I just get clarification on one thing from both of you though?

Simpy, what do your numbers look like each day when you cycle?

ChplHillGymGirl, what is your typical off season daily carb intake-your 2 month out daily carb intake and one week prior daily intake?

THANKS again!

Gwennie

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH!!! One more thing!!!

I'm trying to find that "IT" song for my posing routine...any suggestions?

can't answer the song question as i do just figure - but maybe a funky combination of popular 80s or 90s songs would be fun...

anyway:

for the off season i am still picky about carbs because they make me hold water but generally, i'll eat everyday an apple, some whole wheat bread (2-3 slices), yogurt, oats, sometimes 1/2 sweet potato - i never measure things in grams - just base what i eat on a particular day on what kind of weight routine i'm doing (eat more carbs on leg days) and how much water i'm holding.

2 months out from the show - this is my starting cut/workout diet/routine combo:

early am - 1 hour intense cardio
    meal 1 - 6 egg whites, 1/2 ruby red grapefruit
    meal 2 - 3 oz. tuna, 3 egg whites, 6-7 spears asparagus, glutamine
    meal 3 - 3 oz. tuna, 3 egg whites, 6-7 spears asparagus, glutamine
    meal 4 - 4 oz. chicken, 3 oz. sweet tater, 1/2 cup green beans, 8-10 almonds, glutamine
    meal 5 - 3 oz. chicken, 1/2 cup greenbeans
    pre-workout - plain protein shake, 1/2 cup oats
    workout = weights, then 1 hour cardio
    meal 6 - 6 oz. fish like orange roughy, 1/2 cup green beans or 6-7 spears asparagus, glutamine
    meal 7 - 6-7 egg whites with splenda and cinnamon

i take multivitamins twice a day, drink a lot of glutamine mixed with water, take glucosamine and chondroitin for joint stablity/repair/maintenance, take BCAAs, and sometimes flaxseed oil. also drink 2 gallons of water per day.

now that i'm bigger, i'll probably have to increase my carb intake for initial cutting, but i'm not sure yet.

one week before the show i pretty much just eat asparagus and clean protein (flank steak too) like chicken and egg whites. if i remember correctly (diet logs are at home), i think i still eat some sweet tater at lunch. on friday the night before the show i'll start eating oats again combined with sweet tater and flank steak. then the day of the show i still keep everything clean with my first meal being flank steak or chicken and a little bit of sweet tater. before i go on stage i'll eat raisins.

just saw your question above about weights the week before - i do my last leg workout the sunday before the show. otherwise, i'll do regular weights up until thursday. i'll do light cardio (recumbant bike) beginning wednesday. color starts wednesday too.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to post that!

It is greatly appreciated and will be used!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to post that!

It is greatly appreciated and will be used!

you are welcome; be sure to keep a log of your cutting so you can keep track of how your body responds to any diet you choose!

breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ChplHillGymGirl View Post

2 months out from the show - this is my starting cut/workout diet/routine combo:

early am - 1 hour intense cardio
    meal 1 - 6 egg whites, 1/2 ruby red grapefruit
    meal 2 - 3 oz. tuna, 3 egg whites, 6-7 spears asparagus, glutamine
    meal 3 - 3 oz. tuna, 3 egg whites, 6-7 spears asparagus, glutamine
    meal 4 - 4 oz. chicken, 3 oz. sweet tater, 1/2 cup green beans, 8-10 almonds, glutamine
    meal 5 - 3 oz. chicken, 1/2 cup greenbeans
    pre-workout - plain protein shake, 1/2 cup oats
    workout = weights, then 1 hour cardio
    meal 6 - 6 oz. fish like orange roughy, 1/2 cup green beans or 6-7 spears asparagus, glutamine
    meal 7 - 6-7 egg whites with splenda and cinnamon
    Chphill - what was your weight/height pre-contest when you started this diet? This looks like around 1400 cals - is that right? With the two hours of cardio plus weights, did you find that you were pretty hungry between meals, or did you space them out fairly close to one another? I'm curious because I just increased my cardio and I'm finding it pretty hard to stay with my standard cal intake. Some of the women on my other forum talk about dropping cals to 1100 per day with two hours of cardio pre-contest. I have no idea how they do it. *shrug* I guess you just get used to the lower cals after a few days...

I'm not training for a contest now, but even these slight alterations in diet/training have a huge affect. I really admire people who are able to handle the rigors of contest prep. Good luck Captain!

Originally Posted by breathingsky View Post
    Chphill - what was your weight/height pre-contest when you started this diet? This looks like around 1400 cals - is that right? With the two hours of cardio plus weights, did you find that you were pretty hungry between meals, or did you space them out fairly close to one another? I'm curious because I just increased my cardio and I'm finding it pretty hard to stay with my standard cal intake. Some of the women on my other forum talk about dropping cals to 1100 per day with two hours of cardio pre-contest. I have no idea how they do it. *shrug* I guess you just get used to the lower cals after a few days... I'm not training for a contest now, but even these slight alterations in diet/training have a huge affect.
    yeh, the first two weeks of this diet are hell. after that, i didn't really feel hungry that often - but i did have bad cravings for carbs like nice fresh bread. i depended A LOT on sugar-free gum!

i've used this diet for 3 shows and i'm 5'3 and i ate about every 2 hours- with one my starting weight was 127lbs and my contest weight was 110lbs. the second i believe i started at about the same weight, MAYBE 130, and my contest weight was 112. the third and last show (took a break to really build and feel good when i get on stage) i started at 137lbs (bloated like a tick!!) and dropped to 114ish. will have to check my logs.

you DO get used to the lower caloric intake and plus, with all that activity, you're so tired anyway that you want to sleep more than you want to eat