Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 5'11", 180 lbs
    BodyPoints: 3889
    mad_villan will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_villan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit mad_villan's BodySpace

Lexapro (or other SSRI Antidepressants) and Muscle Gain

I recently started takin 10mg of Lexapro 2 weeks ago for my anxiety... im am becoming worried that it is going to affect my gains... has anyone takin this or other SSRI's and been lifting? I hear mixed stuff that it may lower testosterone due to the lack of sex drive and not being able to orgasm but i dont think that has ever been proven, the loss of libido has to do with sumthing about the neurotransmitters... I know some ppl are against all antidepressants and meds, (i am too for the most part, but i just said **** it and gave it a try as i frequently became very anxious, badly)...i am only planning on being on it for a few months, (maybe less depending on how i feel after 4-6 weeks)...

anyway, has anyone here used an Anti Depressant (SSRI) and lifted, or know anything about the topic ? thanks
    Goal: Get Big

Teams:
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees

mad_villan will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_villan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bump

Teams:
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees

Stats: 5'9", 169 lbs
    BodyPoints: 38904
    7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit 7Happy7's BodySpace
    im on paxil (ssri) and everytime i make a thread about this, i only get mixed answers and it ends up being a discussion about differnet types of ssris. for me, definetly lowered test levels. I have so little confidence, havent had an orgasm since i've been on it (just weak feelings and equculation) and masturbation gives me depression.

As far as gains, I've been struggling really badly. But thats cuz my diet and training sucked. Since i've picked it up, its been going well but i still feel that the meds are making me lack strengh. For example, i would lose to my friends in arm wresling and they dont even lift. Or guys that havent been working out as long have more strength.

In general, it just feels like I have a much harder time in terms of strength, losing weight, and gaining muscle / defination

Stats: 5'9", 1 lbs
    BodyPoints: 14012
    swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit swimmd99's BodySpace
    I read all sorts of incorrect information that people post on here in regards to medication. The whole thing comes down to you as an individual. Your anxiety, untreated, may inhibit your gains far more than a medication. The effects of stress on your body and metabolism are profound and probably taking quite a toll on you.

SSRI's most common side effect is weight gain, usually around 10 pounds or so. This does not happen to everyone and those who work out consistently can really reduce or avoid the weight gain. There are many theories why it happens

If you've decided the ssri is something you want to try, give it a few months and let is equilibrate in your body. That could take anywhere from 2-6 weeks before the meds start having a noticable effect. If you can't deal with the side effect of weight gain, or if you feel your libido is slipping, there are other meds to try as well. Welbutrin is not first line for anxiety, but also functions in a somewhat similar manner of blocking neurotransmitters reuptake (except this one doesnt block seratonin reuptake.....well it barely does) and its best known for not causing weight gain.....but again it's not first line. Give the lexapro a shot, 10 mg is not a high dose.....
    Last edited by swimmd99; 04-20-2007 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typed too fast - blocks reuptake

7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 7Happy7 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Originally Posted by swimmd99 View Post
    I read all sorts of incorrect information that people post on here in regards to medication. The whole thing comes down to you as an individual. Your anxiety, untreated, may inhibit your gains far more than a medication. The effects of stress on your body and metabolism are profound and probably taking quite a toll on you.

SSRI's most common side effect is weight gain, usually around 10 pounds or so. This does not happen to everyone and those who work out consistently can really reduce or avoid the weight gain. There are many theories why it happens

If you've decided the ssri is something you want to try, give it a few months and let is equilibrate in your body. That could take anywhere from 2-6 weeks before the meds start having a noticable effect. If you can't deal with the side effect of weight gain, or if you feel your libido is slipping, there are other meds to try as well. Welbutrin is not first line for anxiety, but also functions in a somewhat similar manner of blocking neurotransmitters (except this one doesnt block seratonin.....well it barely does) and its best known for not causing weight gain.....but again it's not first line. Give the lexapro a shot, 10 mg is not a high dose.....
    i've always contributed my stress to cortisol levels and stubborn belly fat. does this actually hurt in terms of muscle ?

If you've decided the ssri is something you want to try, give it a few months and let is equilibrate in your body. That could take anywhere from 2-6 weeks before the meds start having a noticable effect. If you can't deal with the side effect of weight gain, or if you feel your libido is slipping, there are other meds to try as well. Welbutrin is not first line for anxiety, but also functions in a somewhat similar manner of blocking neurotransmitters (except this one doesnt block seratonin.....well it barely does) and its best known for not causing weight gain.....but again it's not first line. Give the lexapro a shot, 10 mg is not a high dose.....
    thanks... yea its not a big dose... ive just been gettin more anxious reading about **** and lowering testosterone and stuff, but im just gonna continue usin it and lift and eat alot and see how it goes, i dont mind gainin a few pounds... im doin alot of cardio now too... i feel like alot of it is mental...

Teams:
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees

swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) swimmd99 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Originally Posted by importrev View Post
    i've always contributed my stress to cortisol levels and stubborn belly fat. does this actually hurt in terms of muscle ?
    Everyone's body will react differently to stress.....but stress does increase cortisol and some people can be very sensitive to cortisol, which can increase fat storage. Stress can also effect metabolism, what you eat, how your body breaks it down, etc.....

I'm trying to save from going into the biochemistry of it because i think that would be pointless.....

If you're highly anxious, your body is always in the "fight flight or freeze" mode. How could you ever expect your body to repair muscle from working out?

Originally Posted by mad_villan View Post
    thanks... yea its not a big dose... ive just been gettin more anxious reading about **** and lowering testosterone and stuff, but im just gonna continue usin it and lift and eat alot and see how it goes, i dont mind gainin a few pounds... im doin alot of cardio now too... i feel like alot of it is mental...
    You really wont know unless you give it a shot what (if any) side effects there will be for you. If it doesn't work, move on.....I would highly recommend some form of psychological therapy as well tho.....that could be something as simple as talking with a school psychologist all the way up to a psychiatrist.....it is basically proven that meds are most effective when used in conjunction with some sort of therapy

You really wont know unless you give it a shot what (if any) side effects there will be for you. If it doesn't work, move on.....I would highly recommend some form of psychological therapy as well tho.....that could be something as simple as talking with a school psychologist all the way up to a psychiatrist.....it is basically proven that meds are most effective when used in conjunction with some sort of therapy
    i started the meds 2 weeks ago and am seein a psych.. i am already learning ways to deal with my anxiety and its helping definitely... now i just got real anxious tonight about my test. levels and muscle gain and future ED problems, all of i know which are rediculous.. hm maybe i havent gotten over my anxiety..

Teams:
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees

Originally Posted by mad_villan View Post
    i started the meds 2 weeks ago and am seein a psych.. i am already learning ways to deal with my anxiety and its helping definitely... now i just got real anxious tonight about my test. levels and muscle gain and future ED problems, all of i know which are rediculous.. hm maybe i havent gotten over my anxiety..
    well its usually more along the lines of anorgasmia (inability to orgasm) than it is with impotence (inability to get or maintain an erection) and its far from anywhere near 100% who experience that.

Anxiety takes time to learn how to control but it seems like you're doing everything right so far. It's only been 2 weeks, you should just barely start noticing an effect of the meds.

On a side note - don't google or webmd everything.....that will cause you way too much undue stress, especially you (i can tell). You seem like the type of person where if a symptoms is possible or happens on 0.00000001% of the people taking it, your brain will make you develop it

Everyone's body will react differently to stress.....but stress does increase cortisol and some people can be very sensitive to cortisol, which can increase fat storage. Stress can also effect metabolism, what you eat, how your body breaks it down, etc.....

I'm trying to save from going into the biochemistry of it because i think that would be pointless.....

If you're highly anxious, your body is always in the "fight flight or freeze" mode. How could you ever expect your body to repair muscle from working out?

But it has to repair sooner or later right ? Or are you saying it just wont grow and itll repair back to maintence?

well its usually more along the lines of anorgasmia (inability to orgasm) than it is with impotence (inability to get or maintain an erection) and its far from anywhere near 100% who experience that.

Anxiety takes time to learn how to control but it seems like you're doing everything right so far. It's only been 2 weeks, you should just barely start noticing an effect of the meds.

On a side note - don't google or webmd everything.....that will cause you way too much undue stress, especially you (i can tell). You seem like the type of person where if a symptoms is possible or happens on 0.00000001% of the people taking it, your brain will make you develop it
    yea.. i have had no problem reaching orgasm, i feel like just reading stuff makes me feel like i have that... thanks for this advice it actaully will relax me and help me sleep tonight... i have seeen no loss in strength and actaully have gone up in weight since i started the meds 2 weeks ago... and yea, that is me lookin up symptoms for anything... i convinced myself i had many serious conditions by reading about them online (cancer, major depression, just to name a few)

Teams:
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees

shinobidoode has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shinobidoode has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shinobidoode has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shinobidoode has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shinobidoode has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shinobidoode has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shinobidoode has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shinobidoode has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shinobidoode has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shinobidoode has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shinobidoode has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have social anxiety and am definitely interested in this discussion. I spoke to import before and he basically confirmed my biggest worries about meds. The whole toll stress and anxiety puts on building muscle/losing fat is real new to me. I've made real good progress from my worst physical state, but still feel that I am not where I should be. Progress as of late has been little to none. I always figured I must have real crappy genes. Can anyone tell me if zma will do me any good? Despite the "claimed" benefits, maybe deeper, more relaxing sleep will aid my anxiety/recovery/growth?
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply. Do it.

Originally Posted by shinobidoode View Post
    I have social anxiety and am definitely interested in this discussion. I spoke to import before and he basically confirmed my biggest worries about meds. The whole toll stress and anxiety puts on building muscle/losing fat is real new to me. I've made real good progress from my worst physical state, but still feel that I am not where I should be. Progress as of late has been little to none. I always figured I must have real crappy genes. Can anyone tell me if zma will do me any good? Despite the "claimed" benefits, maybe deeper, more relaxing sleep will aid my anxiety/recovery/growth?
    zma is definetly my savior right now. In combination with no fapping, this really helps. Even when i fap, it helps with erection, interest, and agression.

Didnt notice i've spoke with you before but take my comments with a grain of salt. Everyone reacts different whcih is somethign i didnt think of until this thread.

best of luck

Stats: 5'10", 250 lbs
    BodyPoints: 3177
    kendog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kendog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kendog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kendog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kendog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kendog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kendog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kendog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kendog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kendog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kendog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit kendog's BodySpace
    Ive been on Zoloft for years and years and I can build muscle quite well. How it affects body fat, I don't know. I shuts down your nut sack aches and makes you crave the poon less though, it's really quite nice.

Stats: 5'11", 137 lbs
    BodyPoints: 8521
    Robby Coker has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robby Coker has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robby Coker has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robby Coker has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robby Coker has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robby Coker has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robby Coker has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robby Coker has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robby Coker has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robby Coker has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robby Coker has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Robby Coker's BodySpace
    When I was up to 40mg of Lexapro at one time, I just had a bit of fat gain. It increased my appetite quite a bit, and I believed it changed my metabolism as well. My sex drive was noticeably lower as well. I got up to 155 lbs and 18% BF. Since I've been off it completely, my weight and BF% have gradually been going back down (pretty much automatically).

When I was on 10mg, it was weight neutral and didn't have any metabolic effects as far as I could tell.

So I assume that any effects like these would be dosage dependent.
    Last edited by Shiva_; 04-20-2007 at 10:49 PM.
    Download Total Metabolism Forecaster at
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=114980801&p=1162685953&viewfull=1#post1162685953

Listen to my music at
    http://soundcloud.com/robby-coker
    http://www.reverbnation.com/robbycoker