robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Inguinal Hernia, can i still lift??

welp, yea i have one now.I was wondering tho, am i still allowed to lift weights??
    People who use E-stats piss me off, because some of us actually work to get where we are.

iWish4Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iWish4Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iWish4Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    um, aint it like the more lifting of heavy weights u do, the more intestines will go in ur sack?

if so, id say no.. cuz u'd prolly even get more intestines in there, increasing the size...

Registered User oldermuscledude's Avatar
    oldermuscledude will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldermuscledude will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldermuscledude will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldermuscledude will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldermuscledude will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldermuscledude will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldermuscledude will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldermuscledude will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldermuscledude will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldermuscledude will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldermuscledude will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've had three inguinal herinas repaired. I don't remember my surgeon telling me not to lift, but I think that anything that would risk strangulating your intestine (when they slip through the hole) isn't worth the risk.

If you've got surgery scheduled to repair it, they'll prolly put in lots of mesh to stitch your abdominal wall back together, and your belly should be tougher than it was before.

You might want to ask your doctor if it's ok for you to lift, and what specific things you should avoid. I remember doing crunches when I was waiting for surgery and wondering if I was doing more damage to the hernia. It seemed to bother me the most just standing (I have jobs where I'm on my feet all day). It might be ok to do upper body lifts (arms/back/shoulders) and cals/hamstring work, but I'm not sure about lower back/quads/abs. I'd really ask the doctor what he thinks.

At any rate, if the surgery goes well, your abdominal wall will be tougher than it is now, and you should be back to lifting in a couple weeks (I think that's how long I took off from lifting.....)

Good luck, man!

STEP INTO THE DEMONS LAIR trivium9's Avatar
    trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you have the hernia now, do not lift. The additional pressure will cause it to get worse.
    When you lift do you hold your breath and bear down, The valsava maneuver. It is best to exhale as you lift anything as to not create this pressure. Also building ab strength and contracting you abs when you lift anything help prevent against a reccurring injury.

As far as your stomach wall being stronger because they put mesh in the hole is not true. You have had three hernias at a young age. does that tell you anything. Just as anything muscles, tendon ligament in the body once damage has been done and repairs made it will never be full 100% as before the injury.

Once it is repaired you can lift but you have to strengthen your core first and use proper lifting mechanics to reduce the chance of a recurring injury

Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ask your doctor. not a buncha teens. most of them havent hit college yet. and most of the teens that are in college are not in the medical field

STEP INTO THE DEMONS LAIR trivium9's Avatar
    trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) trivium9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Delgadido View Post
    ask your doctor. not a buncha teens. most of them havent hit college yet. and most of the teens that are in college are not in the medical field
    I have noticed that alot of people us, not thier doctor. I have alot of experience with athletic training and with these types of injuries but 95% of the people here wouldn't.

Why didn't you ask your doctor this question

brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    doctorrrrrr

robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robby67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my bad forgot to add that i know i have a hernia (sister is a MD) but i havent officially went to the doctor and she hasnt had time to properly diagnose how bad.So i am going to a different doctor on wednesday..
    People who use E-stats piss me off, because some of us actually work to get where we are.

Freud68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freud68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freud68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freud68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freud68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freud68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freud68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freud68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freud68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freud68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freud68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Yo

Yes, you can lift after you had it repaired. I had a hernia due to squats and deadlifts which are usually the cause of hernias. Markus ruhl said deadlifts caused his hernia. I do not deadlift or squat anymore, but still do everything else!

Just be careful and sensible!