SimplyPersian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How many grams in your shake ;) ?

Okay, one more quick question from my newbie self.. I hear everyone talking about these protein shakes that they drink post-workout.. Okay: The Whey Mix I have is this "Whey to go" (it has Phenyltalanine - I dunno if that's good or bad), but anyhow, one serving of this stuff has appx 16g of protein.. After a workout should I make a doubel serviing so I get like 32 g of protein out of it or just do the one serving? I'm talking like an hour and half workout of boxing and medium weights ... I g uess my question is how much protein can the body handle at once - and do any of you take like double or triple servings for your protein shakes.. also: what else is good to take post workout, and what's good pre-workout (In terms of supplements)

Thanks -
    -If you believe in something strongly enough to die for it, I want you on my team!

Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I go with a double serving postworkout
    Sixpack
    Official Champion Performance Forum Rep
    www.championperformance.com
    @teamchampion
    20%off all Champion products in November!

"Tough Times Don't Last, But Tough People Do"
    POPS 12-17-89
    "IN GOD WE TRUST"

GentlemanE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My protein is 22 grams per scoop, so I go with 1 and 1/2 scoops for 33 grams, plus I mix it up in a tall glass of milk for another 15 or so getting me near 50. A lot of people will tell you 30 grams is about all the body will absorb in one sitting, but that probably varies based on weight and other variables.

So I shoot for about 40 to 50, so that I get the most my body can absorb. I'd rather waste a few cents on the extra protein than save the money, and not get the maximum amount of protein in my system.
    "Time to eat again."

Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the avg. person can only absorb around 30+ grams in a sitting. the addition of carbs (dextrose, maltodextrin, oats) to your shake can increase this amount, which you should be doing anywayz.
    i wish we could have avatars.

Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally posted by Frankiexq
    the avg. person can only absorb around 30+ grams in a sitting. the addition of carbs (dextrose, maltodextrin, oats) to your shake can increase this amount, which you should be doing anywayz.
    BS.... who said that a person can only absorb 30gr protein??

it has been debated.. its alot more than that.

bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Anyone out there (eg mods or nutrition gurus) that can post a study that they have read concerning this question?

CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000)
    it's not a lot more than 30
    that's why everyone on this board gets so gassy, cause they have too much at one time.

97S281_27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 97S281_27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 97S281_27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 97S281_27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 97S281_27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 97S281_27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 97S281_27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There is really no way to say how much protein your body will absorb by this thread. Things like your weight, body composition, and how phisically active you are play a big role in how much protein your body will absorb. I weigh ~185lbs and I am fairly active and I usually shoot for 40-50 grams of protein in each meal (food or shake).

Ok - thanks for all the feedback... So what else should I be adding to my protein shake (post workout) ? Right now I'm just making it with almond milk and whey powder - but what other vitamins, aminoacids or powders would work well in the mix?
    -If you believe in something strongly enough to die for it, I want you on my team!

bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100) bigunit66 is not very well liked. (-100)
    creatine and dextrose.

Originally posted by bigunit66
    creatine and dextrose.
    OK cool - so mix creatine and dextrose with the whey shake..?

Thanks!

AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah those work PW. Avoid milk post-workout. just use water.

Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oats and whey
    Sixpack
    @teamchampion

POPS 12-17-89
    "IN GOD WE TRUST"

CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000) CanadaBBOY is a name known to all. (+5000)
    30-50 is a good ball park for most people.

30-50 x 6 = 180-300grams per day

So that's an average of about 220-260 per day if you aim between 30-50, which is about the right ammount.

Originally posted by AuggieDawgie
    Ohh okay - any recommended brand for the creatine and dextrose - I don't mind paying the bucks for stuff that's really good.... what do you you usually take in before and after cardio - for example an hour run..? After a run I feel really hungry - but don't want to overindulge and would rather bangout a solid drink - should I do whey/dextrose/creatine shake post-cardio too..? I'm assuming yes, cause cardio you do work your muscles too -

Originally posted by CanadaBBOY
    30-50 is a good ball park for most people.

30-50 x 6 = 180-300grams per day

So that's an average of about 220-260 per day if you aim between 30-50, which is about the right ammount.
    Okay - well that's definitely not the amount I'm eating these days - I better amp it up.. More tuna, beef, egss and whey I guess. Also: does protein also boost your nrg - or is that just carbs..?

Originally posted by Sixpack
    Oats and whey
    Sixpack
    Sixpack: So you do an Oats & Whey pre-workout or post-..? And do you use straight up Quaker Oats style...? How much do you mix in - a cup or so..? and just blend it up..

Originally posted by AuggieDawgie
    Thanks Auggie: Yah I don't do milk really every - mostly drink water and substitute Almond Breeze for Milk..

I usually have just a whey shake about 1 hour before I work out, and then post workout I do the dextrose,creatine, whey thing, and then 1.5 hours later have a solid meal with 50 grams of protein and 100 grams of complex carbs. I dont like to eat much preworkout bc my body will focus some of its energy on food digestion as opposed to the workout.

Prelifting- 40 grams of oats 2 scoops of whey
    Postlifting- Same as above

Pre-cardio only- 1.5 scoops of whey
    Post cardio 40 grams of whey 40 grams of oats

ALways followed by a meal 45min to an hour later 80 grams of oats with a lean protein or custom protein mix of egg and cassein
    Sixpack

Originally posted by SimplyPersian
    Sixpack: So you do an Oats & Whey pre-workout or post-..? And do you use straight up Quaker Oats style...? How much do you mix in - a cup or so..? and just blend it up..
    @teamchampion

POPS 12-17-89
    "IN GOD WE TRUST"

ALways followed by a meal 45min to an hour later 80 grams of oats with a lean protein or custom protein mix of egg and cassein
    Sixpack
    Sounds delicious -- okay, so the 40g of oats and whey : do you cook the oats or toss them in the blender with the drink and mix it up? Hope that quesiton wasn't too stupid

Thanks all of you!

Sixpack
    BTW: How do the oats benefit ya? thanks..

Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Oats are a carb. The carbs raise blood sugar. Pancreas pumps out insulin to regulate blood sugar. Creatine and protein piggyback insulin, heading straight to the muscles.

Originally posted by Veritas
    Oats are a carb. The carbs raise blood sugar. Pancreas pumps out insulin to regulate blood sugar. Creatine and protein piggyback insulin, heading straight to the muscles.
    Thanks veritas - would you just eat them dry out of the box and toss them in the shake.. or cook them..? what's the best way..

Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50) Veritas will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Dosent really matter. I cant stand the damn things so I make protein bars with them or make granola to snack on. For insulin spiking, I'm still doing grape juice. Never got off my ass and ordered dextrose. Lazy bastard....

shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Frankiexq

the average person being what? 140 pounds?

Originally posted by Veritas
    Dosent really matter. I cant stand the damn things so I make protein bars with them or make granola to snack on. For insulin spiking, I'm still doing grape juice. Never got off my ass and ordered dextrose. Lazy bastard....
    Where cna I find information on insulin spiking? What exactly it is, the purpose, etc.. Also: if you had dextrose, when would you take it and how much...?

Have a good one..

shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    good questions, many answers. I would like to know more about insulin as well, it does so much.

AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AuggieDawgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you take dextrose take it postwork out. It will give you an insulin spike to help your body absorb up the whey and creatine. I usually use and oats and dextrose. I can't stand a scoop full of dextrose in my shakes..to sweet. I use a little dextrose and some oats that I put in the blender to make into a powder. I haven been doing that for a month and it seems to work better than straight dextrose. Dextrose is cheap, and oats are too.

good luck.

Location: "What's my name, fool? What's my name?" What Ali kept yelling while winning a 1967 decision against Ernie Terrell, who had insisted on calling him Cassius Clay.
    Sher 2.DIE.4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by shanehanner
    the average person being what? 140 pounds?
    lol
    Bump
    "Float like a butterfly.
    Sting like a bee.
    Your hands can't hit
    what your eyes can't see."
    Muhammad Ali

"What's down in the darkness, will come to light".- Tupac Amaru Shakur

Evolution of Gun Control: Legislation. Registration. Confiscation. Extermination.