Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Quaght will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quaght will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quaght will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quaght will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quaght will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quaght will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quaght will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quaght will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quaght will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quaght will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quaght will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I'm Finally Going to Have to Add Weight to My Dips!

Not that it means much to anybody else, but today was a milestone for me. Even after a full set of benching, I found that my bodyweight was not enough while doing dips! Next upper body workout will find me adding a weight belt! Woot!

Sorry, just had to post that.

/Q
    Sigh...gonna try it again.

PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: I'm Finally Going to Have to Add Weight to My Dips!

Originally posted by Quaght
    Not that it means much to anybody else, but today was a milestone for me. Even after a full set of benching, I found that my bodyweight was not enough while doing dips! Next upper body workout will find me adding a weight belt! Woot!

/Q
    That's cool. How many BW reps were you able to manage?

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    congratz

Bigpecs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bigpecs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bigpecs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bigpecs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bigpecs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bigpecs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bigpecs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bigpecs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bigpecs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bigpecs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bigpecs has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Cool, i remember when i first started i could not do 1 dip. now i can do 8 with a 45 pound plate.
    Top 10 reasons to date a wrestler
    10.Knows how to ride.
    9.Never stalls on bottom.
    8.Can score from any position.
    7. Knows how to work a 2 on 1.
    6.Knows how to use his hips.
    5.Goes hard from start to finish
    4.Endurance,Endurance,Endurance
    3.Knows when to push and pull
    2.Will eat anything.
    1.Always wears his head gear....

Originally posted by Bigpecs
    Cool, i remember when i first started i could not do 1 dip. now i can do 8 with a 45 pound plate.
    i remember when i used to do them w/ 110pds...but then i injured my sternum and havn't done them since :/

ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    i remember when i used to do them w/ 110pds...but then i injured my sternum and havn't done them since :/
    That sucks. How's that healing? I did that years ago and it took forever to recover from (not to make the cloud darker or anything).

110lbs? Damn, I can't imagine doing that much. I'm up to 50 right now and it actually hurts my hands it's do damn heavy. I have to use a towel in each hand as a cushion otherwise I can't do my set.
    36 years old
    150 lbs
    7% bf

double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250) double e has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    do weighted dips have negative affects on the shoulders?

ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by double e
    do weighted dips have negative affects on the shoulders?
    Not if you do them with good form. Go down slow and don't go past parallel. Controlling your speed is probably the most important thing to remember.
    36 years old
    150 lbs
    7% bf

Jericho-holic Spartan lionheart21's Avatar
    lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

/Q
    Congratulations. Do you do dips on chest or tricep day? You may know this, but if you do it on chest, lean forward while dipping. This will hit the lower chest pretty good. If its on tricep day, just do it straight up and down.

The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    way to go man. it always feels good to up the weight in any exercise.

keep it up man
    I will not give up. I will not stop.

I may move to a new state, but that won't stop me. I may have to start over, but that won't stop me. You will see me someday, under the lights, in the magazines, taking home the trophy. It will happen, and if you're not here to give support then get the hell out of my way - I will not stop for you.

New Year, New Job, Livin in the Same Ol' Town... just with a Lot More $$$ rollin in...

lift28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

/Q
    Congrats!

Just rember, you set a goal for yourself and you achieved it! If someone else has negative remarks about it......**** EM!
    6' 5"
    270lbs
    bulking
    I know my limitations...I just don't know when to quit!

timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by ahadabans
    Not if you do them with good form. Go down slow and don't go past parallel. Controlling your speed is probably the most important thing to remember.
    Any particular reason why?

I go all the way down.

Originally posted by timbo81

I go all the way down.
    I'm probably more cautious than I need to be. I pulled something in my chest years ago pumping out dips going past parallel. Took FOREVER to heal.

Ever since, I have been very careful about being warmed up, and doing my reps slowly and controlled. Don't think going past parallel is necessary and I find it puts a lot of stress on the shoulder anyway. So I don't endorse it.
    36 years old
    150 lbs
    7% bf

stevenh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stevenh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stevenh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stevenh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stevenh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stevenh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stevenh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stevenh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stevenh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stevenh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stevenh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    timbo: because your shoulders just arent designed to go to that position!

Arron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thats awesome bro!

I hope to do the same within the next couple of weeks too!!

Now, if I could master those pull-ups...

I sleep on a meathook iron_on_my_mind's Avatar
    iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good stuff!

Don't forget to do a set or two with elbows tucked in, so you can hit those triceps hard. Dips aren't just for the chest ;-)

Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000)
    weighted dips are great.

You have to progress slowly tho, don't slap on 2 45 plates just to brag.

Stretch and warm up throroughly. Your shoulders and wrists will reward you with comfort.
    Lastly, do some sternum massaging and warming up too.

I emphasize stretch/warm up now becuz of my f'ed up wrist.
    Appreciate your health.

kxtreme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if i can do all 3 sets of 8 for dips how much weight do i add to a belt? as of right now i cant do all 3 sets of 8 but when i get there. itll be pretty embaressing putting a tiny 5 or 10 pound plate on my belt LOL

Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by kxtreme
    itll be pretty embaressing putting a tiny 5 or 10 pound plate on my belt LOL
    Embarassing to who? Yourself? Cause that's the only person who matters when you are liftin. I'm sure BigPecs didn't start out with a 45lb plate....

Just add as much weight as you can and keep your form good, etc. Don't add an amount in which you have to cheat to get it up.
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

-ohashi

if i can do all 3 sets of 8 for dips how much weight do i add to a belt? as of right now i cant do all 3 sets of 8 but when i get there. itll be pretty embaressing putting a tiny 5 or 10 pound plate on my belt LOL
    bah, one day you'll be dipping +100

besides that, don't know what you're embarassed about; nobody cares and anybody who does and feel the need to laugh probably can't lift anywhere near what you can

Originally posted by timbo81

I go all the way down.
    can become dangerous going past arms parallel to ground; i re-injured my sternum doing that in a moment on inattention :/

Lost_my_whey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If your only doing 3 sets of 8 I wouldn't bother adding weight yet. I'm not trying to come across as a dick. I just think you should be more advanced than that before adding weight. Strapping on that belt really changes alot of factors on how the movement feels. I didn't add weight untill I could do over 40 dips in a set, but I also didn't know I could add weight either. Listen to all the people who spoke up with injuries from dips I too snapped something in my sternum once with 90# on. It was about 6 years ago so I can't remember how long it hurt, but I still remember the pain when I went straight over to the Hammer Strenght chest machine and tried to continue lifting.

Registered User Need 2Whey more's Avatar
    Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey guys I'm unsure so I'm going to ask to be on the safe side. Where is the sternum located, or does anyone have a pic. I want to avoid an injury, hope you guys are o.k. now.

Thanks.
    Jeremiah 29:13

Everyone has all the answer's, except when it comes to their own life!

Dj Ron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Need 2Whey more
    Hey guys I'm unsure so I'm going to ask to be on the safe side. Where is the sternum located, or does anyone have a pic. I want to avoid an injury, hope you guys are o.k. now.

Thanks.

Just scroll over the skelton and it'll indicate where the sternum is:

Click here
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Aray has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just recently, I too have started to add weights to my dips. I wish I did it a lot earlier, but anyway.

When I started to add weight, I could do 3x15 and i know that's probably more than I should do. The first time i added weight I started with a 10 and felt weird, but I could do that with no problem. I moved up to 25 with after that first set and had no problem. Just grab a few plates and start off low and move up to a comfortable weight.
    -Aray
    AIM: ExBlueDevil

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Lost_my_whey
    I didn't add weight untill I could do over 40 dips in a set,
    40 reps?? I would think that this would be really stressful on the joints. and um.. wouldn't do much mass wise.

Low reps I've been told? I only do 3X6 and add 10LB's to my body weight.
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

Originally posted by Lost_my_whey
    If your only doing 3 sets of 8 I wouldn't bother adding weight yet. I'm not trying to come across as a dick. I just think you should be more advanced than that before adding weight. Strapping on that belt really changes alot of factors on how the movement feels. I didn't add weight untill I could do over 40 dips in a set, but I also didn't know I could add weight either. Listen to all the people who spoke up with injuries from dips I too snapped something in my sternum once with 90# on. It was about 6 years ago so I can't remember how long it hurt, but I still remember the pain when I went straight over to the Hammer Strenght chest machine and tried to continue lifting.
    probably cartillege injury (like me) :/

-TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000)
    i was doing 4 rep sets with 90lbs, but my shoulders started hurting. Needless to say, i havent done weighted dips in a few months

aztecwolf161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aztecwolf161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aztecwolf161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aztecwolf161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aztecwolf161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aztecwolf161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aztecwolf161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aztecwolf161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aztecwolf161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aztecwolf161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aztecwolf161 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i am up to about 70lbs. for sets of 6-8, i usually do them at the end of my workout, i love the looks dudes give you in the gym when you walk around with 70lbs worth of plates to go do some dips

bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bgzee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I did a set with a 45lb plate for the first time today, that was tight