Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Edge_90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Right shoulder pain/?impingement

Started during Tuesday's workout doing DB presses. Able to finish sets/reps, but pain has persisted. Better today than yesterday on ibuprofen. Just the weight of my arm hanging at my side caused slight pulling pain. My wife is an occupational therapist and said my rotator wasn't torn or anything, and we think this could be an impingement or bursitis under the acromion. Can really feel it when I do motions like tucking in my shirt in the back with my right hand. Feels a little better today. Skipped today's session (man, the guilt!) in an effort to let it heal. Anybody ever have this?
    Age = 38
    Ht = 6'2"
    Wt = 185

Goals: more lean, athletic, fast, & strong.

Veinpopper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    These were flat bench presses? If so, its been suggested by some to forget the flat bench as they end up wrecking the shoulders down the line. Now I use an incline bench and lower it down as far as she goes to do chest. Then raise it up to do overhead press.

My shoulder started to hurt shortly after I started to lift weights when I raised the weight up to heavier weights on the Nautilus Military Press. I didn't know that you are not supposed to go down all they way and started getting a pain in my shoulder/arm area. So I gave up the machine and the pain went away. It wasn't until much later that I learned the proper form but I'm still squemish of the machine - I'd rather do the exercise with dumbells on the incline bench.

So incine bench, dips or decline bench. Forget the flat bench.

Yeah, VP it was flat bench. I also feel it on militaries. I go down all the way, too. Sounds like I may need to work on form. I like incline bench more anyway...old habits are just hard to break. I don't do machines, other than pec-dec and pullovers. Hopin' this goes away shortly, as I feel smaller already!
    Age = 38
    Ht = 6'2"
    Wt = 185

Originally posted by Edge_90
    Yeah, VP it was flat bench. I also feel it on militaries. I go down all the way, too. Sounds like I may need to work on form. I like incline bench more anyway...old habits are just hard to break. I don't do machines, other than pec-dec and pullovers. Hopin' this goes away shortly, as I feel smaller already!
    I've seen a couple people going down all the way on the military press and I mentioned the shoulder thing to them. Out of three guys I mentioned it to, two knew about the risk of injuring the rotator cuff but did it anyway. One guy didn't know and thanked me for telling him. So I'm not sure if I should keep mentioning it cuz I see it over and over. An article I read said it is bad ettiquete to correct someones form in the gym unless its asked for. But that one guy did thank me, so I don't know if I should keep doing it.

Of course, after that guy thanked me, I went to the barbell bicep curl and did EXTREMELY bad form, leaning way back and bringing the elbows up, so wtf do I know?

Do the right thing Edge and make sure you take the time to let it heal. You don't want to have to deal with this again in the future.

I'm letting my knee heal, strained a tendon, and its driving me crazy having to stay out of the gym. Even my wife said I will slip out of my routine if I don't go back soon. You gotta do what you gotta do.

goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Veinpopper
    My shoulder started to hurt shortly after I started to lift weights when I raised the weight up to heavier weights on the Nautilus Military Press.
    Ditto here. Still causes some discomfort to me now using good form. I usually stick to dumbells ...
    I'll mess with Texas.

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do the right thing Edge and make sure you take the time to let it heal.
    Agreed - take the time now to heal before you really screw something up. And when you're finished with yoru break (maybe a couple weeks), bring yourself back with some RC exercises if you're not already doing them.

And you're right about taking it easy on the total poundage and focusing on better, cleaner form. Slow down the reps, too, to make the same weight more of a challenge.

marek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

impingment rotator cuff here

i have a right rotator cuff impingment. it was a gift from my kid leaving something on the stairs causing me to fall which resulted in this injury several years ago. i got the typical steriod shot & a few sessions of PT. There are exercises to help reduce impingment and strengthen that area. I am a lot better but not 100% at least no constant or chronic pain anymore.

I agree flat bench presses with barbells my not help your shoulder joints. Dumb bell flat bench press does not cause me a problem only the barbell does. Joints are freer to move more naturally with db's.

If it hurts to tuck in your shirt much longer, I would see a doctor.
    marek
    ~~~~~
    "drink and breathe often"

motorhall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yep, I get the right rotator pain, too. Feels like something is in a bind from the top of the shoulder down into the outside of the arm between the biceps and triceps. This usually happens if I try to go heavy on flat bench or weighted dips. I've had fewer problems since I started to spend more time warming up the shoulder joints, stretching, and using a slower and more controlled movement on the negative portion of the rep.

Originally posted by zackmurphy
    Agreed - take the time now to heal before you really screw something up.
    Man, don't I hear that! Nothin like a real injury to make you appreciate the good health that you didn't appreciate when you had it!

Thanks for the feedback on this - sounds pretty common. I hate not working out, but it looks like the only option short-term. I was actually hoping to do the run/box/pullup/pushup routine Sunday, but maybe not a good idea. Thanks again fellas.
    Age = 38
    Ht = 6'2"
    Wt = 185

Re: impingment rotator cuff here

Originally posted by marek
    There are exercises to help reduce impingment and strengthen that area.
    Hope that gets better, Marek. Anybody know what to do (beyond rest) for strengthening the shoulder/rotator? I'll do a search, but thought I'd throw it out there for anybody who really likes their routine.
    Age = 38
    Ht = 6'2"
    Wt = 185

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    sounds pretty common.
    We're all in the same place, buddy. Same problems, same experiences.

More time for cardio, while you're not doing so much weights.

Good luck.

"What is the best shoulder bursitis treatment?
    The first step of shoulder bursitis treatment is to decrease the inflammation. This is best done by avoiding the problems that cause inflammation. The best rule of thumb to follow: 'If it causes pain, don't do it!' This includes simple activities such as reaching high objects or reaching behind yourself."

Above from About.com. After some reading, sure looks like what I got. Chronic Advil popping and no lifting look like the immediate plan. Great . Still looking for exercises. I might as well post them here if I find them...
    Age = 38
    Ht = 6'2"
    Wt = 185

Do the right thing Edge and make sure you take the time to let it heal. You don't want to have to deal with this again in the future.

I'm letting my knee heal, strained a tendon, and its driving me crazy having to stay out of the gym. Even my wife said I will slip out of my routine if I don't go back soon. You gotta do what you gotta do.
    You're right, VP. Hope that knee gets better soon.
    Age = 38
    Ht = 6'2"
    Wt = 185

Re: Re: impingment rotator cuff here

Hope that gets better, Marek. Anybody know what to do (beyond rest) for strengthening the shoulder/rotator? I'll do a search, but thought I'd throw it out there for anybody who really likes their routine.
    Hey bro try this one but make sure you use a very light weight. Start with like 6 lb.s after you have taken a break. You could do these and some cardio for a while just till things settle down. If theres any pain, stop doing them! This is a rehab exercise someone showed me for strengthening the rotator cuff.

Theres also a thread right here you could check out.

Re: Re: impingment rotator cuff here

after you get the pain under control you would probably find some exercises for this with a google search. I utilized latex tubing, and small dumbells movements that strengthened some of the smaller INNER muscles and tendons sournding the shoulder. I am NOT sugggesting front nor lateral side raises(they mainly work the outer delts areas). It would be hard to describe here and I am up to my neck in auditors and tax accountants today anyway. good luck !
    marek
    ~~~~~

VP 's cuff exercise

VP's example is great with db's.

I also used latex tubing tied to a door knob at work. Standing upright pull & releasing with that same movement will work the correct area too.
    marek
    ~~~~~

Thanks

Thanks VP...good stuff there. I mimicked the excercise you attached and that really seems to hit the area of concern. Good thread recommendation also.

Originally posted by marek
    I am up to my neck in auditors and tax accountants today anyway. good luck !
    Marek - sounds like you could use some serious painkillers!
    Age = 38
    Ht = 6'2"
    Wt = 185

tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

shoulder pain

I have the same issue, but w/ my left shoulder......
    reinjured it throwing (I am LH'd) a few years ago.

I have done the exercise in the video attached in the earlier post....I heard that you should not do more than 5 lbs, and do high reps.

What I do for my bench work is start w/ dumbell presses on the inclined bench. Massaging the shoulder between sets. After 4 sets (1 being a warm up), I go to the flat bench. I still massage my shoulder between sets, and my first set is always a light one to get it loose. It usually works, as I typically have any discomfort while benching.

Re: shoulder pain

Originally posted by tarman
    I have done the exercise in the video attached in the earlier post....I heard that you should not do more than 5 lbs, and do high reps.
    I was thinking that later.... I use 6 lb dumbells but I'm not injured. I just throw a couple sets of those in once in a while. I don't believe this movement is designed to put any kind of weight on the dumbells. I use it sometimes in between a couple of warm-up exercises. So maybe start with 3 or 4 lb.s to help with the circulation? You're welcome for the links! I hope it helps.

What I do for my bench work is start w/ dumbell presses on the inclined bench. Massaging the shoulder between sets. After 4 sets (1 being a warm up), I go to the flat bench. I still massage my shoulder between sets, and my first set is always a light one to get it loose. It usually works, as I typically have any discomfort while benching.

Do you just massage one shoulder with the other hand? Just to get the circulation going eh?

Originally posted by tarman
    You're right, VP. Hope that knee gets better soon.
    Thanks Edge. So far, so good. I have not gone back to the gym like a maniac and worked it like it didn't exist! That helps!!

tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Re: shoulder pain

Do you just massage one shoulder with the other hand? Just to get the circulation going eh?
    yes.....massaging it seems to loosen up the shoulder.......

Thumbs up a little follow-up...

Feels great this AM. Pain didn't wake me up once last night. Went running last PM and think that got blood flowing to the area. Nothing today, but may do the boxing workout tomorrow - depending. Thanks everyone .
    Age = 38
    Ht = 6'2"
    Wt = 185

CoreNobody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mine was so bad I had surgery to correct it,in both shoulders!Right one 6 years ago,left one Jan 30th.It was really good,but I had to test it.Mental note,don't do pullups 2 weeks after shoulder surgery.Now it's enflamed again.It will go away,but it will take time for me.It's still strong,just hurts.
    Prowling over the mountains,wielding a sharpened screwdriver,cometh CoreNobody!And he giveth a mighty bellow"I'm going to smack you until you're a parapalegic!!!"

Core,

Sorry to hear about the surgeries! Glad its not keepin you down, though. Any idea what caused you to injure them? I know one thing I've been doing is pushing them hard - going to failure every time. I think that just opens the gate to more injuries probably.
    Age = 38
    Ht = 6'2"
    Wt = 185

CoreNobody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think it's just the way I'm put together and age.LOL. I stopped going to failure about a year ago,seemed to make the left one last a little bit longer.I also do a lot of work overhead as an electrician,double whammy said the doc.He added,it's no big deal,just have to train smart.I agree.My shoulder is still real strong,just gets real sore fast.

No bench press,overhead press,pullups,dips,pushups,etc.It sucks but I can live with it for a while.Doc says I will be able to train heavy again,just not for about 3 to 4 months.
    Prowling over the mountains,wielding a sharpened screwdriver,cometh CoreNobody!And he giveth a mighty bellow"I'm going to smack you until you're a parapalegic!!!"

Dips.... yes, I can definitely can see them exacerbating this thing. Will try light weight high rep work tomorrow am.

Good to hear you'll be able to train heavy again in a bit. Injuries really stink. Talk about testing your patience!
    Age = 38
    Ht = 6'2"
    Wt = 185

One thing I've noticed about going to failure - theres a certain point where you should stop. This is for me anyway, maybe it will help someone.

You can go to failure and just keep straining and straining until your grunting instead of breathing and get dizzy after the set. I think this is too much. I try to go to failure and ok, give it 2 seconds and then slowly lower. I just feel like straining for longer than that pushes the envelope where you might get hurt.

I used to push it like that on tricep pressdowns and pec deck machine (straining for as long as possible) and I don't think its a good thing.

I pretty much hate my shoulder now. It reminded me this AM that it doesn't like me either. I'm pretty sure its from going too "deep" on db presses, incline presses, and militaries. Shortened up the ROM today and it went better. Still not healed. D?%$!!!!! Popping ibuprofen regularly. On the bright side I got a few compliments on my build today...I sure needed that today. Stupid shoulder.
    Last edited by Edge_90; 03-09-2004 at 05:47 AM.
    Age = 38
    Ht = 6'2"
    Wt = 185

Edge just to give you the heads up on what I've heard-
    The military press is the one that causes damage if you go deep on it. I haven't heard that about the other two.

Also, I read that taking ibuprofen inhibits the healing process. So the best course it would seem would be to give it a break rather than working out and taking pain pills.

Just a thought.

Thanks man. Pain worse this afternoon. Not good! Will give a break again (no shoulder work rest of week).
    Age = 38
    Ht = 6'2"
    Wt = 185