Thread: Help I'm New!!

TheGeek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help I'm New!!

Hello everyone. I just signed up for this website because I want to make a change in my life and am not sure where to begin.

A bit of history about myself may be in order and some embarrassing stats....

First I am 39, 40 later this year. I have been married for 18 years and work in the computer industry. Unfortunately I have put on 100 lbs in those 18 years. My wife is a good cook.

When we met I was 170lbs and now I am at 262. I want to change this and in fact tried a couple of years ago with Body4Life. I did well on the program but I did not really have any muscle gain to speak of.

I ended up going to the Doctor and he tested my Testosterone levels and let me know I was low low low, but not below the lowest point before they actually do something about it.

That sort of bummed me out because I was busting my butt to put on muscle and it just wasn't happening.

Anyway fast forward to today, and my son is showing an interest in working out. Which I think is awesome for him and me. He doesn't have weight issues but is wanting to add some muscle.

So here I am, I want to be able to work out and actually show some gains and drop some of this weight.

From BFL I learned that muscle mass burns fat, and that's what I want. On top of all of that, I am sure my wife wouldn't mind either.

Are there any products out there that naturally boost Test? What else in the way of supplements would help me to build muscle considering my low Test?

How often should I be thinking of actually working out? I am thinking that 3 times a week might not be enough time for my body to recover. Should I be thinking of 2 times a week instead?

I know I got a bunch of newbie questions and I apologize for being dumb about all of this. But I want to do it right this time and not feel like I have wasted my time.

edible_eye has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) edible_eye has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) edible_eye has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) edible_eye has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) edible_eye has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) edible_eye has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) edible_eye has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) edible_eye has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) edible_eye has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) edible_eye has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) edible_eye has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm relatively new here myself, but the bottom line remains the same. I suspect you're new to chat forums in general. A good rule of thumb is to look around first and get a feel for a place before you start posting. Given the fact that patience and perseverence is key, that's a good way to start practicing both.

For example - at the top of the 'Over Age 35' section is a thread devoted entirely to new members.

Also, there's an entire section in the main forum area dedicated specifically to supplements - relate this to your testosterone enhancing supplement question.

Supplements, Supplement Reviews, Supplement Wars, Supplement Science, etc. Any and every question you could conceivably concoct within that space between both ears is likely asked and answered there.

As far as your question about the number of times to train, my suggestion would be to first establish a clear goal.

I assume this is yours - "So here I am, I want to be able to work out and actually show some gains and drop some of this weight."

Fair.

There are three dimensions to this goal, as I see it - 1.) setting aside time to train and attempting to keep it consistent, 2.) dedication to your goal will inevitably lead to showing some gain, especially given the fact you've got a base of knowledge from your BFL days, and 3.) establish a diet or nutrition plan.

Read through some of the threads already in existence, including the journals at the top, top of the Over Age 35 section.

And good luck.
    Last edited by edible_eye; 04-18-2007 at 09:26 AM.

baldman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baldman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baldman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baldman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baldman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baldman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baldman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baldman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baldman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baldman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baldman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you dont need supps other then maybe protein you dont want your son to learn about taking supps so i would stay away from them, i dont know about boosting your test levels, but it does take lots of hard work and dedication and most of all time there is no quick fix, i think if you get your diet in order and hit the weights hard im sure your body will respond.
    A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot

PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
    How often should I be thinking of actually working out? I am thinking that 3 times a week might not be enough time for my body to recover. Should I be thinking of 2 times a week instead?
    The opposite, I think. In the beginning, you are training you nervous system, your metabolism, and not just the big muscles.

There is a big difference between someone starting to work out for general fitness and weight loss, and a bodybuilder who wants to put another inch on his arms, or a lifter trying to break through and add twenty lbs to a specific lift... the intensity and volume required to do that is huge in comparison, and someone who may already be close to overtraining could easily go over the edge.

Most of us use the words 'overtraining' and 'recovery', very loosely. Overtraining actually has a very narrow definition, and most recreational lifters and bodybuilders with jobs, a family etc. (in other words a life) never reach that stage, fortunately.

I don't think recovery is an issue when you start working out, because in my opinion, it is best to start with light weights, higher reps, and get used to doing the different exercises. Since you also want to lose a lot of weight, it means doing more cardio than people who lift for size and definition.

You have to get stronger before you can get bigger, and fortunately, increasing strength while losing fat is a lot easier than increasing muscle volume.

When you start lifting weights (or come back after a few years), most of the muscle fibers in the big muscles (arms, legs, back etc.), are not even being recruited by the nervous system to do work. In other words, the muscles are weak, not just small. You tire out and reach failure on an exercise well before most of the muscle is even engaged.

Longer sets and more frequent sessions give the nervous system a chance to recruit a larger percentage of the muscle fibers. Second, but also more important, longer sets increase the heart rate, and stimulate metabolism to burn more calories.

A few minutes of moderate cardio (eliptical, or treadmill) following a weight lifting session also helps to purge the lactic acid from the muscle, which helps recovery a bit, and burns a few more calories. I believe there is an article on bb.com which claims that 10 minutes of cardio purges about 50% of the lactic acid, another 10 minutes purges another 25%.

As for the test, I would establish a good workout pattern, lose a few lbs (like 20 or so) and then see where it is. If it is still low in a couple months, and you can't get a prescription, find another doctor (I don't mean to be blunt, but it's you body, not his).

lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000)

1:- So here I am, I want to be able to work out and actually show some gains and drop some of this weight.

2:- From BFL I learned that muscle mass burns fat, and that's what I want.

3:- Are there any products out there that naturally boost Test? What else in the way of supplements would help me to build muscle considering my low Test?

I'll try and answer a couple of your questions.

1:- Probably your first priority is to reduce your weight, as muscle and health will come along with it. To do that you have to get your diet in check and do some cardio. While you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time it is easier to loose some of the fat first, at least when you are not familiar with tweaking your diet. As you lose weight your energy levels will improve as well.

2:- Muscle does burn fat but you burn fat by reducing your calorie intake so that can happen. It does not matter how muscled you have if you are taking in more calories than your body burns. Once again it's diet.

3:- There is a simple way to boost your test level - SQUATS, squats and more squats. OTC supplements have just not been shown to boost test even though they make huge claims to that end. Save your money.

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The advice has been good so far, let me add my .02. I'm 6 weeks in from where you are now and here are some of the things I've learned:

You need to do more homework on diet than on anything else. Folks here can tell you what to eat but it means nothing if you don't put in the time. Record what you are eating and figure out what you should be eating. Here is where I'm learning and keeping track: http://myfooddiary.com/main.asp and it is making it sooo much easier.

Give your self time...it took 18 years to get where you are but you can undo most of that in 12 to 18 months if you figure out nutrition.

Leave your ego at the gym door. Start with a standard full-body workout about 3 times per week. Lift light to moderate weights until your body responds and then slooowly increase your weights. Injury is a needless setback. Listen to your body, it will tell you a lot.

Come here often, participate in discussions, ask lots of questions and report your progress. This is a world wide support group and a bunch of great people.

Take progress pictures. Even if nobody ever sees them but you it will make a huge difference! If you keep at it your progress will be noticeable very quickly.

My personal opinion on supps. Avoid them for now, they are for when you have done everything else humanly possible and you still need a little help.

Starting is the hardest part and you've already done that.
    Last edited by Nikonguy; 04-18-2007 at 10:58 AM.
    " ----------I`m your Huckleberry......'"

John Adams

rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Okay, so here is my take.

As I understand it, you are new to working out, you want to loose about a 100 lbs and want to build some definition as far as muscle growth is concerned.

Couple of points... although having extra mussel will increase you metabolism, hence burn more calories, it is not the "silver bullet" for someone who wants to loose allot of weight. What you will need is a good diet + a cardio plan to meet your goals.

Basically, loosing weight is simple math. You have to burn more calories each day than you take in. Rule of thumb is, for each 1500 calories you burn, you will loose 1 pound of fat.

The most effective, "long lasting", and proven way to loose weight is a combination of a proper diet with consistent cardio exercise. The formula is easy but the implementation is a b*tch! :-)

First thing you need to do is go out to a local gym (that's good) and have them measure your metabolism. The number they give you will indicate roughly how many calories your body burns on its own, if you did nothing, i.e. the number of calories your body will burn if you just laid in bed all day long.

Take that and add a few hundred extra calories to estimate your real metabolism rate (since you do more in a day than just lay in bed).

Then look at your diet very, very, very carefully. Meaning, you want to be eating every two hours to keep you metabolism up and "moving" (i.e. food is fuels for your metabolism) but at the same time take in a relatively low amount of calories each day. This means eating healthy. Not starving yourself or eating carrots and celery all day long (hence slowing your metabolism down to a screeching halt), but eating healthy.

So, although you want to keep the calories down, you want to take in allot of protein because it is the protein in your diet that will help kick-start the metabolism. But you will still need carbs and a bit of good fat. (Read up on this for extra detail.) You can use supplements to help with this but it’s really not required.

Then get yourself on a cardio machine that you like and try to stay on for as long as you can (should be at least 20 minutes but more than an hour is not recommended). Don't be afraid to start slow. You will be up to 20 minutes + in no time at all. When I started I could barely stay on the machine for more than 5 minutes.

You can also lift to increase your muscle mass and in turn increase your metabolism (i.e. burn more calories per day naturally) but to be honest, cardio will help you reach your goals much more than lifting weight. Do both but if you have to skimp on something, don't do it on the Cardio.

So now you have all the variables for the formula:

Calories you take in each day (your diet plan) – Your natural metabolism – Calories burnt from exercise = Calories burnt each day (if it's a negative number. If not, then you have to tweek something.)

Based on the number of calories you burn each day and the estimated 1500 calories that need to be burn to loose a pound of fat, you can estimate how long it will take to loose the extra weight. By then, you will of course be hooked on the lifestyle and will start envisioning yourself and working towards being lean(er) and mean!!

Good luck, it's hard work, but it is definitely do'able. Many of us here in this section of the forum are living proof of that. Just have patience.
    Last edited by rmomjian; 04-18-2007 at 11:48 AM.

Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Welcome aboard, Geek!

First of all, not everything works for everyone. You will have to find your own path, to a certain extent. But the core basics apply to everyone. You will need to learn those, and this forum will help you there.

Secondly, go to the journals and have a look around. You'll get a sense for what some folks go through with food and dieting and training, etc.

Third...start a journal of your own. It will help, surprisingly.

~Athena

stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000)

When we met I was 170lbs and now I am at 262. I want to change this and in fact tried a couple of years ago with Body4Life. I did well on the program but I did not really have any muscle gain to speak of.

I ended up going to the Doctor and he tested my Testosterone levels and let me know I was low low low, but not below the lowest point before they actually do something about it.

That sort of bummed me out because I was busting my butt to put on muscle and it just wasn't happening.

From BFL I learned that muscle mass burns fat, and that's what I want. On top of all of that, I am sure my wife wouldn't mind either.

Are there any products out there that naturally boost Test? What else in the way of supplements would help me to build muscle considering my low Test?
    You need to clean up your diet first. That you gained 100 undesirable pounds means that you are eating horribly (that's not a judgement on your wife's cooking, by the way), and supplements aren't going to do anything until you get your nutrition under control.

Plan for 48-72 hours of recovery time for any given body part, and let the rest fall into place depending on your schedule and motivation level. You could work out on consecutive days, if you wanted to and it wasn't the same body part(s).

lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by rmomjian View Post
    Rule of thumb is, for each 1500 calories you burn, you will loose 1 pound of fat.

Based on the number of calories you burn each day and the estimated 1500 calories that need to be burn to loose a pound of fat, of the forum are living proof of that. Just have patience.
    Thought it was a typo until I read it twice but everything else id fine... So to be correct........

There are 3500 calories in 1 lb. of body fat
    Last edited by lukamar; 04-18-2007 at 06:47 PM.

TheGeek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks everyone for the information.

Not necessarily what I was wanting to hear. I guess I was looking for a golden egg.

But nonetheless, it is what I needed to hear.

Eric?! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric?! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric?! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric?! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric?! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    First of all, not everything works for everyone. You will have to find your own path, to a certain extent. But the core basics apply to everyone. You will need to learn those, and this forum will help you there.

Secondly, go to the journals and have a look around. You'll get a sense for what some folks go through with food and dieting and training, etc.
    I agree with everyone so far but, I like how Athena made it short and simple as stated above.

Goodluck...?!
    "The Code of Bushido". Bushido Literarily Means Way Of The Warrior. It Was The Samurai Code Of Honor And Way Of Life. There Are Seven Essential Principles That A Samurai Must Follow:

~ Gi ~ Yu ~ Jin ~ Rei ~ Makoto ~ Meryo ~ Chugo ~

rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmomjian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by lukamar View Post
    Thought it was a typo until I read it twice but everything else id fine... So to be correct........

There are 3500 calories in 1 lb. of body fat
    yup... my bad.... the number came in my head and stuck there throughout the message.... thanks for the correction

kinda funny, if 1500 calories is all it takes, by now i should be a stick with the 30 minutes of cardio i do after an hour workout 5 days a week.
    Last edited by rmomjian; 04-19-2007 at 09:36 AM.

Not necessarily what I was wanting to hear. I guess I was looking for a golden egg.

if there was a "golden egg" everyone would be doing it!!! welcome to the top 1%

that said, there is a golden egg, it is "focus" + "perseverance" + "persistency" + "motivation" + "knowledge"

Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thank you for taking it all seriously. Many people ask for advice and info and then basically tell us it's not what they wanted to hear so they'll keep asking until they hear that "golden egg" they've been seeking.

We don't like that very much around here.

If you ever need dietary advice, ChocoChick is the premier resident expert in that area. She will want specifics, and she is not someone you'd want to argue with.

stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000)

Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    If you ever need dietary advice, ChocoChick is the premier resident expert in that area. She will want specifics, and she is not someone you'd want to argue with.
    +1