matth87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matth87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matth87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matth87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matth87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matth87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matth87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matth87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matth87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matth87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matth87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

How many times should you do abs a week?

My routine was to do abs every day thats and i go work out about 5-6 times a week, my friend told me that working them out more actually makes them flatter and not as defined. Is this true?

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    3000 times per week
    Who was this love of yours?

it's a good addiction Muscle-T-17yrs's Avatar
    Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Muscle-T-17yrs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well imo alot of ppl will agree that doing abs almost most days of a week is best, but though it may help i rekn actually doing them 1-2 times a week is more than enough provide that you do them right,

I rekn if you do your abs 4 + times a week, it will help but may be slow progress and wont make ur abs get deep cuts

when i was doing my ab routine period, I only did them once a week, yes once a week, for 1 hr straight minimum rest and after abt 2-3 months they were blasted out and then i just had to maintain it by doing em maybe once a month and sometimes never for abt 6 months.

Your question is regarding more abt time. I rekn, if u have the time to do them more than once a week and you enjoy doing em then go for it but not everyday maybe every 2nd day? why? cuz you need to give time for your muscles to repair istead of overtraining or damaging existing muscle.
    "Your food should be your medicine and your medicine should be your food"

"Training is nothing, WILL is everything"

"a religious person says, "i don't know." and is content to place god in that gap of knowledge. a scientist says, "i don't know." and then seeks out the answer."

GOALS: To get my...

Forearms: 35cm (14inch)
    Biceps/Tricep: 45cm (17.5 inch)
    Calves: 47cm (18inch)

APRIL 9TH 2009 - THE SHOW DOWN !!

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Muscle-T-17yrs View Post
    when i was doing my ab routine period, I only did them once a week, yes once a week, for 1 hr straight minimum rest
    why would anyone do abs for an hour straight

RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Almost everyday? Why is that people treat abs like a magical slab of muscle that's completely different then every other body part? Would you train your calves everyday?

If you're lifting, you're getting alot of indirect hittage to the core. 1-3 times max is what I've read around. Also, working them out more will build endurance. I don't see how it can make it "flatter" though. Certain exercises meet the requirement for hypertrophy. If you're doing things like sit ups, you won't see the abs gain much.

What's your ab routine look like? and if you want "bigger" abs, you have to use weights. A muscle can only get so big by doing so many body weight exercises. Also, if you want your abs to POP out you need to cut down the body fat %. That has a lot to do with definition.

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

How many times should you do abs a week?

Eleventy

writes scary stories I_love_crows's Avatar
    I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    3000 times per week
    Originally Posted by J.L.C. View Post
    Eleventy
    OUTLAW split:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1830521

Videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=MikeyTheCrow

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Seriously, do a search.

r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've never trained my abs.

Squats, pressing movement is all.

depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by RaferAlston26 View Post
    Almost everyday? Why is that people treat abs like a magical slab of muscle that's completely different then every other body part? Would you train your calves everyday?
    well , to answer your question...although it's not magical, it is complete differently than almost every other body part because you use abs almost all the time doing daily activities (bending over, laughing, etc.)...so since they're being used all the time , they can be worked more often

r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) r~iddick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    And you don't use your hands, arms, legs, bum, back,chest, shoulders and face?

superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My abs are hit with major compounds, ie. squats, deads, SLDL's, etc., but I also do one exercise at the end of each of workout to hit them directly, so 4 times a week. I like hanging reverse crunches, Swiss ball crunches, and cable crunches.
    If you can't join'em, beat'em.

RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by depo12 View Post
    well , to answer your question...although it's not magical, it is complete differently than almost every other body part because you use abs almost all the time doing daily activities (bending over, laughing, etc.)...so since they're being used all the time , they can be worked more often
    Yes, but so are your calves but you wouldn't train your calves all the time because you walk. That does not justify training your abs 4,5,6, or 7 times a week. Abs are a muscle like anything else. They do need a little more training but you use them so often during normal training (i.e. Deadlift and squatting) that training them seperately 5 more times a week is pointless. They need rest too.

TWright is on a distinguished road. (+10) TWright is on a distinguished road. (+10) TWright is on a distinguished road. (+10) TWright is on a distinguished road. (+10) TWright is on a distinguished road. (+10) TWright is on a distinguished road. (+10) TWright is on a distinguished road. (+10) TWright is on a distinguished road. (+10) TWright is on a distinguished road. (+10) TWright is on a distinguished road. (+10) TWright is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You can do abs twice a week but more important is your diet and cardio. You have abs hidden under that layer of fat for most people you just have to diet and cardio properly. Im not saying you have a layer of fat im just saying the average person does.
    "what works for me may not work for you"

Back from 2 year break! Atheimetal's Avatar
    Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RaferAlston26 View Post
    Abs recover faster than many muscles.. and your calf example is ironic because it's the same case there. You could work abs + calves 3x a week if you really wanted to. Also, squatting is absolutely not a replacement for ab work.. but yes, I would say 4 times a week may be pushing it, and more is probably a waste of time that you could be using on something else.

Anyway to the OP, I would go for 2 or 3 solid ab workouts with varying movements to hit them at different angles.
    Pennsylvania State University Alumni: Nutritional Sciences

I know they recover faster then any muscles but that doesn't make it a huge exception. I said 3 max but even 3 is unnecessary. indirect work actually does a hell lot of work:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1515405

And Terrell Owens trains his once a week:

Forever cutting..... Blake Austin's Avatar
    Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Two to three times. Sometimes with weights, sometimes not. Anywhere from 3-6 exercises, 12-20 reps.
    ~I'm an egomaniac with a inferiority complex...

~I love this crazy, tragic, sometimes almost magic,
    awful, beautiful life.........

*changes entire workout to be like TO*

SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    why would anyone do abs for an hour straight
    develope flexibility for sucking yourself off?
    Home Gym Crew
    AP4
    Pureblood

Originally Posted by danj112 View Post
    develope flexibility for sucking yourself off?
    Easier just to have your ribs removed.
    Or so I hear...

*looks around nervously*

SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Easier just to have your ribs removed.
    Or so I hear...

*looks around nervously*
    Nah, that's a really painful procedure.

*winces in pain*
    Home Gym Crew
    AP4
    Pureblood

Registered User dethmetalanimal's Avatar
    dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i do twice a week. i'd never do more than three times a week.

BakaNingen is not very well liked. (-100) BakaNingen is not very well liked. (-100) BakaNingen is not very well liked. (-100) BakaNingen is not very well liked. (-100) BakaNingen is not very well liked. (-100) BakaNingen is not very well liked. (-100) BakaNingen is not very well liked. (-100) BakaNingen is not very well liked. (-100) BakaNingen is not very well liked. (-100) BakaNingen is not very well liked. (-100) BakaNingen is not very well liked. (-100)
    Once a week, just like all my other precious muscles. Of course, I'm just a lowly beginner in his humble beginnings, beginning my journey of biggening my ever-biggening muscles.

HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    18, 894,378,754,30 TImes

Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think that is a trial and error because some develope abs easily..others do not. Once you have a good ab devlopement going on and low BF..then its maintenance
    rather be 4wheelin !

Danialbrushaan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why should people treat the abdominal muscles different to others in your body. Don't train them everyday, this means you haven't allowed the muscle to fully recover and you are going to be dissapointed in regards to no further development and point that you're the failure. Perhaps the ab routine is. You don't train back everyday why should you train abs everyday both are unique muscles to keep you up while standing, otherwise you would collapse. Over training the muscle leads to injury then you will really regret why you over trained them when you are in agony and hospital. It is all about quality over quantity in all areas of bodybuilding. I suggest them training them 2-3 times a week having two or one days off in between to be gone. Perhaps going heavy and intense will make your abdominal wall sore for a couple of days. Increase intensity by adding giant sets and rounds with no rest before first round is finished. A session with abs a few supersets, high reps and intense with low resting periods will crush your abs and the body have to change in order to adapt.

serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50) serratus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not much direct ab work is needed if you're lifting heavy for your other body part.s
    **Now offering personal training and customized diets.**
    -Natural Pro Bodybuilder
    -Certified Fitness Trainer

lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000) lca1986 is just really nice. (+1000)
    [QUOTE=RaferAlston26;35771471]Almost everyday? Why is that people treat abs like a magical slab of muscle that's completely different then every other body part? Would you train your calves everyday?

Actually yeah you could train calves everyday. They are continuosly working supporting weight all day everyday. They need a ****load of stimulation to grow them. For those that arent genetically gifted anyway. That theory has been noted in a few bodybuilding books.

SoCalSports has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SoCalSports has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SoCalSports has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SoCalSports has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SoCalSports has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SoCalSports has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SoCalSports has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SoCalSports has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SoCalSports has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SoCalSports has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SoCalSports has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    According to Arnold Schwarzenegger, abs and calfs can be worked out every day.

DTaylor1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTaylor1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTaylor1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTaylor1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTaylor1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTaylor1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTaylor1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTaylor1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTaylor1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTaylor1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTaylor1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Like any other muscle would be my advice to you.