GimmePump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How's this look for a 3 day split?

How does this look for a 3 day split? Here's what I've come up with...
    Suggestions welcome!
    Thanks

Note anywhere there's a "/" These exercises will be alternated
    every other workout.

Day 1 - Chest, Lats, Back

Butterfly / Flat Bench
    Incline Bench
    Decline Bench
    Behind Neck Wide Grip Pull Down
    Close Grip Front Pull Down / V-Bar Pull Down
    Wide Grip Front Pull Down

Day 2 - Shoulders, Upper Arms, Fore Arms

Cable Curls
    Low Pully Row
    Behind Back Shrug / Front Shrug
    Tricep Pushdown (Rope Attatchment)
    Cable Hammer Curls
    Barbell Curls / Close Grip Barbell Curls
    Weighted Rope Wind Up
    Weight Plate Pinch

Day 3 - Legs

Squats
    Standing Calve Raises (Toes on a Box)
    Lying Leg Curls
    Stiff Legged Dead Lifts (Smith Machine)
    Roman Dead Lifts
    Rocking Standing Calve Raises
    Barbell Lunges

(10 Min. Cardio Daily)

This would be repeated twice weakly with sundays off.

Abs daily or every other day?
    Last edited by GimmePump; 03-01-2004 at 09:22 AM.

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: How's this look for a 3 day split?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GimmePump
    How does this look for a 3 day split? Here's what I've come up with...
    Suggestions welcome!
    Thanks

This would be repeated twice weakly with sundays off.

Abs daily or every other day?
    [/QOUTE]

Twice weekly, like you'd do that split twice in 7 days?

No way. Too much. You need more rest between those days, since you're putting triceps and shoulders on the day after chest, and youve' got biceps right after a back workout.

I would humbly suggest one of two things.
    1. If you insist on those muscle groupings, swap day #2 with day #3, and throw a day or rest between your new day #2-#3 and #3 to #1, so you'd have:
    day 1: chest, Lats, Back
    day 2: legs or rest
    day 3: legs or rest, whichever you didn't do on day 2
    day 4: arms, delts
    day 5: rest
    and maybe even (but this could be dropped if you feel good with only 48 hours rest)
    day 6: rest

OR

2. Pair the more logical groupings, like triceps, chest, delts together and biceps, lats, traps together, etc, like:
    day 1: triceps, chest, delts
    day 2: legs or rest
    day 3: legs or rest, whichever you didn't do on day 2
    day 4: lats, biceps, forearms, traps (and do the pull-ups first)
    day 5: rest

something like that. You don't want delts-triceps-chest separated and on consecuive days. Too much. And ditto on back and biceps.

And abs, everyone thinks something slightly differently on that, btu I don't think every other day is necessary as long as your leg and back workouts include some deadlifts and squats. Maybe once or twice/week if you like doing abs.
    Last edited by zackmurphy; 03-01-2004 at 09:32 AM.

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey - Check out the BRIT_BEEF splits for general food for thought on splits, workout frequency, and intensity.

Lots of info to digest there, but it's good stuff. It's on this page, at the top.

Thanks for the input, does this look more reasonable?

Day 1 - Chest, Arms

Butterfly / Flat Bench
    Incline Bench
    Decline Bench
    Cable Curls
    Cable Hammer Curls
    Weighted Rope Wind Up
    Weight Plate Pinch

Day 2 - Legs

Squats
    Lying Leg Curls
    Roman Dead Lifts
    Barbell Lunges

Day 3 - Back ,Shoulders, Traps

Low Pully Row
    Tricep Pushdown (Rope Attatchment)

Day 4 - Rest

Day 5 - Repeat

10 Min. Cardio Daily
    Abs Every Other Day

Another question is how effective is decline bench since I don't see it included in alot of rutines?

Massive improvement. We'd all do things differently from each other, so please know I'm not trying to make your routine match mine. And you SHOULD design your own, so you stay excited about doing it.

That said, a couple things, small things.

Day 1: There isn't much for the triceps there. Maybe some close grip bench presses and/or some dips to hit your tris a little more. Those could replace the decline bench, to answer your other question. Decline bench is a nice one, but I'd trade it for dips any day. Dips hit the lower pec and tricep better (imo), and you need more tricep anyway. Good trade. You don't ever need lots of very similar movements. So once you have incline presses and flat presses, declines are not necessary. You're already hitting the pec with those. You have tri push downs on day 3, but that's all. I'd do tris with chest, if it's all the same to you.

Day 2: You may want to add more quad work, but it's up to you. You're heavy on hamstrings on your leg day, and you could swap out the roman dead lifts for leg extensions to balance it a little more. Up to you, though. That's not a big deal.

Day 3: I'd definitely move your pullups / pull downs (the majot arm and back builder) to the top of the order that day. Preferably actual pull ups, but either way. First. Then your other back work, rows, whatever. And delt work - you have no pressing motion. Overhead DB presses? Lateral raises? You could easily drop one of the three pull downs you'd doing and add a few sets each of lateral raises and overhead DB presses for shoulders, maybe some bent over raises for the rear delt to add to your back workout.

You do have things arranged a little differently than most, but it's okay. See how it works for you. Your delt workout, if you add two or three exercises, three sets each, shouldn't interfere with your chest and tris two days later. Should be okay.

I need to stop talking so much.

O.k., another revision, and as far as your talking goes, the more the better, the help is much appriciated...

Day 1 - Chest, Arms

Butterfly / Flat Bench
    Incline Bench
    Close Grip Bench Press / Bench Dips
    Tricep Pushdown (Rope Attatchment) / Reverse Grip Tricep Pushdown
    Cable Curls
    Cable Hammer Curls
    Weighted Rope Wind Up

Day 2 - Legs

Squats
    Barbell Lunges
    Lying Leg Curls
    Leg Extensions

Day 3 - Back ,Shoulders, Traps

Seated Lateral Military Press
    Low Pully Row

Day 4 - Rest

Day 5 - Repeat

10 Min. Cardio Daily
    Abs Every Other Day

And as far as delts go, I've added seated lateral military press to the list, but they're growing faster than anything else on my body just from the exercises listed already so I think just that for now.
    Will the Smith Machine work o.k. for the lateral military?
    Last edited by GimmePump; 03-01-2004 at 06:47 PM.

I like it. I think it's a good routine. You MIGHT need/think about more rest than that, perhaps a day thrown between 1 and 2 or 2 and 3, but otherwise, I like it.

I think the Smith Machine for military press is fine, but not great. Maybe a 80% effectiveness, relative to a plain bar, but certainly a good workout. I think it's fine if tfat's the method you want to use and it works for you.

Looks good. Good routine.

Talking

Good stuff, I'm greatfull I had someone who seams to know his stuff to help me revise this. I've done a bit of studying but getting others opinions really helps. I'll give this a shot and see if I get some improvements. Much appriciation!
    k... Bed Time...