Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Do guys have a problem with women lifting weights?

I have not been training that long but in the brief time that I have been I have noticed a certain attitude coming from my family about weight lifting.
    My partner whilst not saying anything directly to me about it always points out how 'manly' chicks with arm definition etc look.

My brother constantly tells me how to perform exercises and that I should drop the weight because my form isn't perfect. Whilst I am definitely one to focus on form I don't know why he thinks he is expert enough to comment on it. For goodness sake he goes to a gym where all the guys only train upper bodies and look like freaks who are going to topple over any minute lol He also argues about set/reps etc when I tell him that if the guys at his gym trained in a more effective way they wouldn't have to take err enhancers.

Makes me mad and also makes me think that the attitude women have about training is not just a consequence of getting scared they will look huge it comes from society telling them they will look like a man and not like an anorexic model! Sorry but I am so sick of looking at sickly thin 15 yr old models in mags....and I refuse to try and look that way.

I am also sick of getting flack for weight training and its the main reason I do so at home.

[/rant]
    "The supreme irony of life is that no one gets out of it alive." -Robert Heinlein

"I don't care if it ruins my career; I'd rather be smart than a movie star" - Natalie Portman

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think a woman lifting weights sincerely and with true effort, like a typical man does in a gym, is hawt!

-She thinks independently and knows the truth over what social mores tell her.

-She is a doer who wants to better herself.

-It makes her body more attractive and shapely.

-She is strong and fit enough to do sports and other outdoor activities I like with me.

-Being a sister in iron, she understands that I am not there purely out of vanity.
    Time To Re-Schedule

=M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) =M= has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by valby View Post
    I have not been training that long but in the brief time that I have been I have noticed a certain attitude coming from my family about weight lifting.
    My partner whilst not saying anything directly to me about it always points out how 'manly' chicks with arm definition etc look.

My brother constantly tells me how to perform exercises and that I should drop the weight because my form isn't perfect. He also argues about set/reps etc when I tell him that if the guys at his gym trained in a more effective way they wouldn't have to take err enhancers.
    Right, because we all know that flappy, flabby arms are DEFINITELY where it's at.

As far as decreasing weight until form is perfected, this is not awlays a bad idea, as injuries can occur when technique is off. But he should mind his own damn business!

Makes me mad and also makes me think that the attitude women have about training is not just a consequence of getting scared they will look huge it comes from society telling them they will look like a man and not like an anorexic model! Sorry but I am so sick of looking at sickly thin 15 yr old models in mags....and I refuse to try and look that way.

[/rant]
    I hear this a lot...I have co workers who tell me that they CAN'T lift weights because they will get too muscular, and their huband/BF/whatever won't like that.

Personally, my husband prefers me to have some muscle. He told me that sex with a skinny woman is no fun...too many pointy bits, and that makes it uncomfortable!
    too bad stupidity isn't painful

The Germans have always had a diabolical streak in them when it comes to their machine's repairability. Krautcars should have a sticker under the hood that says: "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here with tools, and a schedule to keep."

"Leave me alone, I know what I am doing." Kimi Raikonnen

FlyingMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FlyingMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FlyingMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FlyingMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FlyingMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FlyingMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FlyingMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FlyingMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FlyingMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FlyingMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FlyingMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes, many guys have a problem with women lifting weights. Specifically many men lift weights in order to define their masculinity. I find it completely legitimate but it could put such men in a conceptual problem when they encounter women who also lift weights (and do it well).

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by FlyingMan View Post
    Yes, many guys have a problem with women lifting weights. Specifically many men lift weights in order to define their masculinity. I find it completely legitimate but it could put such men in a conceptual problem when they encounter women who also lift weights (and do it well).
    yeah they do, but I find that kind of strange. I don't mind at all. I think weight/resistance training is something to be used by everyone to better their health and improve their physiques.

Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    I think a woman lifting weights sincerely and with true effort, like a typical man does in a gym, is hawt!

-She is strong and fit enough to do sports and other outdoor activities I like with me.

-Being a sister in iron, she understands that I am not there purely out of vanity.
    x2 couldn't have said it better.

also: women who do squats > women with pancake butts

bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000)

Very well said.
    "The best-laid schemes o mice an men Gang aft agley." Robert Burns

"You can believe in stones as long as you don't throw them at me." -

"Some say he can swim seven lengths under water and he has webbed buttocks. All we know is, he's called The Stig."

"Some say that his skin is the texture of a dolphin's and that he has his own satellites. All we know is, he's called The Stig."

ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Most people don't know crap about excersize and dieting and assume your going to get ripped overnight if you even touch a dumbell thats not pink and under 5lbs.

Forever cutting..... Blake Austin's Avatar
    Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't mind it. Do women mind it if men do cardio??
    ~I'm an egomaniac with a inferiority complex...

~I love this crazy, tragic, sometimes almost magic,
    awful, beautiful life.........

fireman4000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fireman4000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fireman4000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fireman4000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fireman4000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fireman4000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ewitte View Post
    Most people don't know crap about excersize and dieting and assume your going to get ripped overnight if you even touch a dumbell thats not pink and under 5lbs.
    AMEN........If you look around the gyms most people have little to no idea what they are doing. I see people all the time doing isolation exercises when they weigh 80lbs. Most men see that women have more dedication than men and will stay true to their goals, also I think it is a lot like a bar, if a women has been working out for a while men are scared of them just like the good looking girl in a bar. All men know the good looking one is a dyke or a bitch with out talking to them

...and your point WAS???? lopaw's Avatar
    lopaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) lopaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) lopaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) lopaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) lopaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) lopaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) lopaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) lopaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) lopaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) lopaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) lopaw will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Who @#$%^& CARES what they think!!!!!
    Why oh WHY do women let others define & decide WHO THEY ARE & WHO THEY SHOULD BE?????

giuliagoolia will become famous soon enough. (+50) giuliagoolia will become famous soon enough. (+50) giuliagoolia will become famous soon enough. (+50) giuliagoolia will become famous soon enough. (+50) giuliagoolia will become famous soon enough. (+50) giuliagoolia will become famous soon enough. (+50) giuliagoolia will become famous soon enough. (+50) giuliagoolia will become famous soon enough. (+50) giuliagoolia will become famous soon enough. (+50) giuliagoolia will become famous soon enough. (+50) giuliagoolia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My brother constantly tells me how to perform exercises and that I should drop the weight because my form isn't perfect. Whilst I am definitely one to focus on form I don't know why he thinks he is expert enough to comment on it.
    It seems to me that your brother is trying to show you support, though maybe not in a great or tactful way, by sharing with you what he knows. My brothers did the same thing to me when I started lifting, after I realized they were sharing with me what they knew because they were happy I had an interest I found that even though not everything they said was true or accurate, I did learn some things from them and now they ask me for my input about training.

I am also sick of getting flack for weight training and its the main reason I do so at home.

[/rant]
    Personally, I've had far more encounters with women expressing their distaste of female bb's, then males. I've had female co-workers tell me how ugly my muscles are, how 'stupid' lifting weights is and how I can better spend my time, money and effort doing something constructive instead of wasting it on a gym and lifting.
    And at the gym, there have been several times when a gaggle of cardio bunnies gawk at me point and laugh or look me up and down with dirty looks as they walk by me and depending on my mood I either ignore, point and laugh back at them, give them a cold stare or just flash a great big smile.
    Bottom line: you'll always find supporter's and hater's of the sport, men and women alike, I think it's important to remain true to yourself. I have yet to meet a female bb that does it because someone else wants her to do it, we do it for ourselves. So keep lifting and to hell what society thinks!
    Personally for me, no matter what anyone says or does it will NEVER deter me from going to a gym and lifting heavy @ss weights!! (well, heavy for me anyway)

Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was just about to majke an intelligent post, but in retrospect I really can't be ****ed
    They say you are what you eat, so I eat chunks of steel and bodybuilders.

sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000) sixzebra is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by =M= View Post

I hear this a lot...I have co workers who tell me that they CAN'T lift weights because they will get too muscular, and their huband/BF/whatever won't like that.
    i've hear so many women say that. i'm like, you've got to be kidding, right?
    National Competitor

Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Geno has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have no problem at all with a woman lifting weights. It's sad that some men aren't comfortable enough in their masculinity.

LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i totally agree with what someone else has already suggested:
    - i have heard FAR more women complain 'about women lifting' then
    i have heard from men.

in fact, almost all the men i know support it.

best,
    ~lifer

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The gym I go to is a real bodybuilders gym, and I'm often the only woman in the pit. I've never had a single problem with men giving me attitude. In general I feel they are supportive, and if I occasionally ask someone to spot me, he always does.

There are a few women who spend hours on the treadmill (walking slowly) and I occasionally hear them discussing me and wondering if they'll look like me if they lift weights. And I'm not that ripped!
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't normally have problems with guys in the gym. They usually respect me a bit more than the women do. So many women have the misconception that we'll get huge if we lift. I blame a certain infomercial for some of that. Lifting has helped me so much with my own self-confidence.

ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    I have no problem at all with a woman lifting weights. It's sad that some men aren't comfortable enough in their masculinity.
    ditto - screw what anyone else thinks. if you want to have muscle, build it. if people don't like it, they don't have to look. maybe you should start carrying a spoon around with you so that when someone says they don't agree with what you're doing or don't like what you're building you can hand it to them and say "here's a spoon, now eat my a$$!!"

(note: i am usually more vocal than most - this approach may not work well for everyone )
    I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.

Dreamscapes and Chplhillgymgirl: Year 7.

Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee.J.K will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ChplHillGymGirl View Post
    "here's a spoon, now eat my a$$!!"
    with a spoon?
    They say you are what you eat, so I eat chunks of steel and bodybuilders.

ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000) ChplHillGymGirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Lee.J.K View Post
    with a spoon?
    or whatever works
    I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.

Dreamscapes and Chplhillgymgirl: Year 7.

sawalke4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sawalke4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sawalke4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sawalke4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sawalke4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sawalke4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sawalke4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sawalke4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sawalke4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sawalke4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sawalke4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i think its cute

Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000)
    or whatever works
    Hopefully they'd at least need a steak knife for us!

bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    screw what anyone else thinks. if you want to have muscle, build it. if people don't like it, they don't have to look.

Exactly!

If I ever worried about what other people thought I should or shouldn't be doing I'd never have done any of the things in my life that I enjoy. I've just never been one to give a rats ass about what some call social norms. If it looks like fun and I want to do it, I'm in!

I'm 42 yo and I still lift, ride motorcycles, play lunchtime hoop with the boys and do whatever I want to do. Some people make comments about my sanity and what they consider a lack of concern over personal safety, I just agree with them and carry on. I have learned that it does no good to argue your point because they will never get it.

Maybe it's just my contrarian nature but the more someone says I shouldn't do something, the more motivated I am to do it WELL!

As far as men's preference, I've found that men, just like women all prefer different things. Some men like skinny women, some like muscular, some like heavy, same way women prefer their men.

I would have to agree with your bro on lowering the weight to obtain good form but I've been training my 14 yo son for the past several months and I'm a stickler for form. He keeps trying to add weight and if his form isn't there I make him strip it off.

TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    valby, see this:

These are all characteristics of a stabile, secure, mature, firm human male.

Sadly, many human males are insecure, immature, unstabile, and hardly firm. Part of that comes with age/growing up, part of that never develops.
    Such human males tend to seek out physically and mentally inferior females whose inferiority will make them feel a bit less insecure and scared in the big bad world that surrounds them. Such human males cannot cope with the idea of a female (or other males) being better or matching in any way, and SPECIALLY with ideas of women being physically fit, attractive, more shapely or independant. Such a woman could better them, or worse, realise what losers they are and find somebody else.
    You understand, that an insecure, immature, unstabile and unfirm person cannot cope with such prospects and will do anything to hold you back.

I agree, it's sad that some men think they have to "proove they're men" in some way or the other, and aren't really sure what sex they are. Since there are only 2 sexes, you'd think it'd be easy enough for them to make sure.
    Last edited by TurbulentFluid; 04-18-2007 at 03:23 PM.

Current stats:
    67 kg / 167 cm / 25-27 %bf / 28 yo
    max lifts:
    bb bench press: 7 x 55kg
    lat pulldown: 5 x 60 kg
    squat: 8 x 60 kg

darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by lopaw View Post

Who @#$%^& CARES what they think!!!!!
    Why oh WHY do women let others define & decide WHO THEY ARE & WHO THEY SHOULD BE?????
    I think that sums it up right there. When are women gonna stand up for themselves and quit letting other people run their lives? I just got an earful from a coworker about two female acquaintances who are miserable in marriages to controlling, manipulative men and they're still knocking themselves out to please the men. It boggles my mind.

I'm the only female on heavy free weights in my gym. I do my thing and ignore everyone else. When my husband's with me, I'm the one instructing HIM on proper form. I actually had a trainer, older guy, come over and compliment me on my squat form. I guess he'd never seen a woman squatting in the cage before.

Sponsored by APT PRO GEAR RImuscle's Avatar
    RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I get a lot of crap from men I work with for being a powerlifting. I often get told Im destroying my body because I am so muscular and that woman should not do things like that. I also get a lot of shocked looks when I walk around my gym in my squat suit and I've even had trainers there tell me I have no business powerlifting and that maybe fitness would be more appropriate for me. Im 5'5" 180 lbs and 20% bodyfat, not exactly fitness material. I've learned to just ignore them, I love lifting heavy and I love building muscle. I would never give that up just because someone else doesn't like it. Its what makes me happy.
    Sponsored by APT ProGear

It's later than you think EMISGOD's Avatar
    EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't differentiate at all, to be honest. The same principles apply, which are correct and solid form, dedication and intensity. It's like driving a car, in many ways. It makes no difference to me who is driving the car as to whether I like it or not...same thing with the weights. It doesn't matter to me, as long as they "operate" them correctly...

I personally wish more people in general, not just strictly women, took a more active interest in their health and I applaud anyone who is trying to improve, empower and better themselves.
    Ongoing Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=106420991

Come here and open your mouth, S103/Syntrax, I gotta take a piss: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3569901

maddy629 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    It's been my experience that some guys are just overly competitive (or just flat out insecure) and feel threatened by anyone who's stronger than them - ESPECIALLY when it's a woman. Any other girl ever had a guy try to copy what you were doing, even though it was clearly beyond their capabilities? Silly rabbit, weight training's for everyone!

TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by RImuscle View Post
    I get a lot of crap from men I work with for being a powerlifting. I often get told Im destroying my body because I am so muscular and that woman should not do things like that. I also get a lot of shocked looks when I walk around my gym in my squat suit and I've even had trainers there tell me I have no business powerlifting and that maybe fitness would be more appropriate for me. Im 5'5" 180 lbs and 20% bodyfat, not exactly fitness material. I've learned to just ignore them, I love lifting heavy and I love building muscle. I would never give that up just because someone else doesn't like it. Its what makes me happy.
    ...while boozers, druggies and smokers and other suicidal maniacs like that often get "you GO bro/sis" for getting drugged or stoned.... sad worlds it is.
    I think we should all apply the old one: "If you have nothing nice to say, shut up".

Current stats:
    67 kg / 167 cm / 25-27 %bf / 28 yo
    max lifts:
    bb bench press: 7 x 55kg
    lat pulldown: 5 x 60 kg
    squat: 8 x 60 kg

LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TurbulentFluid View Post
    ...while boozers, druggies and smokers and other suicidal maniacs like that often get "you GO bro/sis" for getting drugged or stoned.... .
    ah, but TF, ONLY from OTHER boozers, druggies, and smokers and suicidal maniacs, NOT from the mainstreamers, or fitness fanatics like us

so the world isnt THAT screwed...... yet

best,
    ~lifer