MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Question for the smarties

So I'm trying to cut/lean out. I went from 200 to 160 and now, since I've been lifting for 2 years I'm up to 185 and sitting at 5'7 (obviously a lot of that is fat I've gained back from going on and off diet) however I am definitely bigger, muscle wise, than I have ever been in my life I just want to shed about 15-20 more pounds. Lately I've been noticing myself getting leaner up top, on the back and in the legs but the gut just seems to be packing on the fat still.

My diet is about 2000 calories a day sometimes 3000 if I eat bad (going out or making a massive burger with fries, etc.) Again...my diet isnt the best. I eat great and light during the week and ruin it all on the weekends. I go to the gym a good 5 days a week but have cut out cardio completely. I used to run ALL the time, especially over the summer when weather is better, but have since cut it all out and just weight train. I do the typical 10 reps and 3 sets, sometimes 4, have different days for different parts of the body, you know, all that good stuff.

My question is, and I can probably answer my own question, but what do you guys think is holding me back but losing the gut? Like I said, I feel and look like I'm leaning more everywhere else EXCEPT the stomach which, I swear, is getting bigger. My guess is its going to be my diet and I really need to knuckle down on it more than I have been. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by MattATL; 03-06-2013 at 01:51 PM.

theflyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theflyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theflyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theflyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theflyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theflyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theflyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theflyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theflyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theflyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theflyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try to eat clean as possible and CARDIO is your friend! 3-4 times a week should be sufficient..

fat2fit4real will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat2fit4real will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat2fit4real will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat2fit4real will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat2fit4real will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat2fit4real will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat2fit4real will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat2fit4real will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat2fit4real will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat2fit4real will become famous soon enough. (+50) fat2fit4real will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You already know the issue is your diet but since you want to hear it from other people too I'm happy to tell you that it's your diet.

Luckily you're already aware of this and know what the issues are with your diet so it should be pretty easy for you to fix and achieve what you want. Count your calories/weigh your food, figure out your TDEE, calculate your macros and all that jazz and you will be well on your way to reaching your goals.

MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You already know the answer. From the way it sounds you don't exactly know how many calories you eat per day. And those 3000 cal days are not helping at all, you don't need cardio to burn fat but the lack of tracking combined with not bothering to create a buffer by doing any cardio will lead you to a ridiculously hard time leaning down. The abd is the last place most of us lose fat.

j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No, you don't need cardio to lose the extra fat.

I'd say diet, it always comes down to that for me, always, always. What I put in my mouth has just as much impact as how much when it comes to my body and how I look / feel. Personally I'd also lift a bit heavier, like sets under 10 reps but I have nothing to back that up except personal preference.
    "When you fall into a pit, you either die or get out."

bmillah788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmillah788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmillah788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmillah788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmillah788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmillah788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmillah788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmillah788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmillah788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmillah788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmillah788 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MrM27 View Post
    You already know the answer. From the way it sounds you don't exactly know how many calories you eat per day. And those 3000 cal days are not helping at all, you don't need cardio to burn fat but the lack of tracking combined with not bothering to create a buffer by doing any cardio will lead you to a ridiculously hard time leaning down. The abd is the last place most of us lose fat.
    x2 diet diet diet take account for EVERYTHING you eat and you will succeed for sure.

Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MattATL View Post

My diet is about 2000 calories a day sometimes 3000 if I eat bad (going out or making a massive burger with fries, etc.) Again...my diet isnt the best. I eat great and light during the week and ruin it all on the weekends. I go to the gym a good 5 days a week but have cut out cardio completely. I used to run ALL the time, especially over the summer when weather is better, but have since cut it all out and just weight train. I do the typical 10 reps and 3 sets, sometimes 4, have different days for different parts of the body, you know, all that good stuff.
    Until you fix this no one will be able to help you.

MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattATL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

I hate to bump this back up to the top as it seems things come and go pretty fast in these forums but I just wanted to say thanks for all the input. Yeah I knew it was the diet but just need that other "input" to make me feel better about it in my head. I'm going to go back to using a calorie counter and writing them down (did that about 2 years ago when I was really losing weight) and go from there. I'll also look up this TDEE that you guys have mentioned and take everything everyone said into account. Thanks again for the help guys!