slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Ugh! I've got a ulser!

Yep, doc checked it out, i've got a stomach ulser. everything points to it, spiting blood, dark stool, rapid weight loss (which would be great....if it wasn't related to this damn ulser! lol)

Anyways, its the doc i've known forever, since i was born (yes, hes really old). basicly he told me that since the symptoms have only happened recently, i should be ok. said i didn't even need a prescription, just needed to pick up a pack of prilosec otc, follow the directions. and if i'm the symptoms persist after the 14 day supply, to see him again. but he siad 95% of ppl with ulser's in my situation are usually healed easily

He also told me to take things easy, watch what i ate, don't get too full. and definetly not to stress my self out too much (which i have been lately).

What i forgot to ask him, is if it would be ok to workout? like mebe some simple cardio? small jogging for 30mins? his office is closed by now, so i won't find out until tommarow morning when there opened and i can call them. but does anyone have any idea?

also, anyone who happened to have ulsers in the past, how was it? how long did it take you to heal? and did you workout?

Thanks guys

forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50) forcasa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if he said take it easy, then take it easy. rest = recovery.

tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by tweaked17 View Post

Changing gears... KRISTA! I did not know your ulcer was that bad. I gave myself a terrible ulcer a few months ago while I was trying to work every day and take winter classes. You must stop drinking coffee so often, at least until it goes away. Try to eliminate things that cause you gastric distress. Look into short-term use of enzymes and probiotics (specifically, acidophilus - live culture yogurt as well). Take the probiotics ESPECIALLY if you've been put on an anti-biotic (that's what I assume your "ulcer medication" is - correct me if I'm wrong). Do not take NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen (advil, motrin(?), acetaminophen (tylenol), etc.). Once you have an ulcer, eating foods you're allergic to can aggrivate it; I notice you're eating PB again - didn't you say you were allergic in the not-so-distant-past?

The glutamine is a good move, don't know who recommended it to you, and it doesn't always work, but keep it up (worth a try IMO). Consider upping your Vit. C dose (if you take it separate from your multi) to 2-4g (whatever you can handle). Seriously though, cut the coffee out. I would also cut back on the dextrose until you're healed, though I may get yelled at by a few people for suggesting that .

Also, sounds weird, but consider cabbage or cabbage juice. Helps some people recover the mucous lining that will allow the damaged area to heal. Milk may also help you produce some mucous, but may or may not irritate your stomach.

stress reduction, avoidance of aggrivating food/drink, and supplementation can help you shake it in no time. no NSAIDs, no coffee, don't eat large meals, try to eat things you know will be easy on your stomach, etc.

i wouldn't stop jogging, though you may cut it down to 20 minutes for a quick session with the goal of stress relief without overexertion.

unfortunately, i had to keep up certain bad habits that caused mine for a few weeks after it appeared, but when i was done with that crazy lifestyle and focused on the ulcer it took me about 1.5-2 weeks to heal it.
    2007 INBF Long Island Experience:
    1st Place Novice Lightweight & Overall
    Best Legs
    ----------------------

Disclaimer: The above can at best be considered an opinion or an offering of advice, and should be treated as such.

Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I swear I did stop the coffee, too.

*hides in shame*.
    "Every woman should have four pets in her life: a mink in her closet; a jaguar in
    her garage; a tiger in her bed; and a jackass who pays for everything." ~Paris Hilton~

The "diet" industry is the only business in the world that succeeds by failure.

tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TricepGirl View Post
    I swear I did stop the coffee, too.

*hides in shame*.
    ahahaha... how IS yours? improving I hope.
    Best Legs
    ----------------------

Disclaimer: The above can at best be considered an opinion or an offering of advice, and should be treated as such.

slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slag has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    well, i have no trouble stopijng all that stuff. just i finnally got my shipment in from bb.com, and i want to use all these supps!!!!!!!!lol

ohwell, they can wait a few weeks

instead of running, what would you guys think about possibly a swiming session instead? few laps?

nothing is wrong with jogging for a while if it doesn't discomfort you or aggrivate your condition.
    Best Legs
    ----------------------

Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ahahaha... how IS yours? improving I hope.
    It's getting worse!! I can't wait for my goddamn biopsy.
    "Every woman should have four pets in her life: a mink in her closet; a jaguar in
    her garage; a tiger in her bed; and a jackass who pays for everything." ~Paris Hilton~

nothing is wrong with jogging for a while if it doesn't discomfort you or aggrivate your condition.
    cool cool

so question, how did you know when your ulser was healed? i'm guessin when you stoped spiting dried/black blood in the morning and your stool wasn't black?

Originally Posted by slag View Post
    cool cool

so question, how did you know when your ulser was healed? i'm guessin when you stoped spiting dried/black blood in the morning and your stool wasn't black?
    Count your blessings that yours is one that was brought on quickly, and that your doctor believes it will heal quickly. Some of us aren't, and have them much, much worse. I'd take spitting blood, if it meant relieving my symptoms.

I can't say how long it will take you to heal, but I would give running a shot. Working out only hurt me when the ulcer symptoms hurt, so, um, if you're in pain, clearly you shouldn't be working out. If you find that running "loosens" your ulcer, or gives you cramps that are NOT because you're doing cardio, then stop, stretch, and do give swimming a shot.

Do you know what caused it?? I can't recall seeing that in your posts.

Originally Posted by TricepGirl View Post
    Do you know what caused it?? I can't recall seeing that in your posts.
    no, no idea. but i have a feeling that its cause i have been trying new supplements lately. that, i used to suffer from bulimia a few years back, so of course my as****us (sp?) probably isn't up to par

"eso****us"

Hmmm, that's suspicious. I don't know TOO much about the causes of ulcers, tweaked is a nutjob like that he might know, but I would really look into the cause a lot more in depth. It sucks, doesn't it?? You don't want it to happen again, eh?? Try to find the common variable in your supplements, or if they're causing an imbalance in your ph levels that are so bad, they're causing this acid. Maybe you just naturally produce an excess of acid. Don't just put a bandaid on it and treat the symptoms--find the cause.

Let me know how it goes, eh?? I'd gain some faith if I knew of somebody who was "healed."

Also, check what foods you were eating around the time you first had symptoms.

slgalberth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If working out help you relieve stress then workout just don't go overboard. I have three ulcers and I do workout. Ulcers are no fun but for me ulcers are the least of my problems I hope they heal quickly for you!

Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Anyone with that kind of problems may want to, if he has not already done so, read up on Helicobacter Pylori. You will get about 1 million hits from google on this issue.

See: http://www.cdc.gov/ulcer/

? Most ulcers are caused by an infection, not spicy food, acid or stress.
    ? The most common ulcer symptom is burning pain in the stomach.
    ? Your doctor can test you for H. pylori infection.
    ? Antibiotics are the new cure for ulcers.
    ? Eliminating H. pylori infections with antibiotics means that your ulcer can be cured for good.
    If he hasn't done so, ask your doctor to test for Helicobacter.

Regards,
    Aquilius

PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Get a blood test for helicobacter pylori. If positive you need antibiotics for a short time. I'm surprised uy doctor hasnt done this, its the standard treatment.

BTW, this cure was found by two Australians:
    http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/m...005/press.html
    Last edited by GregT; 04-17-2007 at 03:00 PM.

yea i hope it'll heal quickly too.

i've decided to take the week off, since i want to give my body a rest every 5 or 6 weeks. an i couldn't remember if it was this week, or next week that i needed to take off. lol

how are your guy's ulcers? i'm still spitting blood in the morning, little bit of wheezing. definetly black stool. and i get the ocassional random chest and back pain that makes me feel like my muscle's were ripping

lol i was hanging out with a buddie last night. when it hit me, my face started to cringe and i stoped talking. she thought i was having a seizure. until i told her its my ulser. thank fully she had some pepto bismol and i was able to take that to subside the pain for a little bit tell i was able to get ahold of my prilosec.

j/w what you guy's are goin threw too

Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Geeze..i feel for ya...I have had a few..the first time I had no clue what to eat and everything seemed to make it worse. Used to take 10 days to heal..now about 4 bad days if i get one.Now I know if one is coming on and I eat really BLAND..no fruit...no seedy things..no roughage...no spices..steamed soft foods(veggies)...protein releases alot of acid..i would stop any protein for two days. Eat low acid foods. also...the helicobacter pylori test and treatment is worth a shot..even if negative..ask for the treatment. These ulcers are sooo painful
    rather be 4wheelin !

Originally Posted by Kate~ View Post
    Geeze..i feel for ya...I have had a few..the first time I had no clue what to eat and everything seemed to make it worse. Used to take 10 days to heal..now about 4 bad days if i get one.Now I know if one is coming on and I eat really BLAND..no fruit...no seedy things..no roughage...no spices..steamed soft foods(veggies)...protein releases alot of acid..i would stop any protein for two days. Eat low acid foods. also...the helicobacter pylori test and treatment is worth a shot..even if negative..ask for the treatment. These ulcers are sooo painful
    good idea. low acid foods.

so whey releases alot of acid?

reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yep, doc checked it out, i've got a stomach ulser. everything points to it, spiting blood, dark stool, rapid weight loss (which would be great....if it wasn't related to this damn ulser! lol)

Anyways, its the doc i've known forever, since i was born (yes, hes really old). basicly he told me that since the symptoms have only happened recently, i should be ok. said i didn't even need a prescription, just needed to pick up a pack of prilosec otc, follow the directions. and if i'm the symptoms persist after the 14 day supply, to see him again. but he siad 95% of ppl with ulser's in my situation are usually healed easily

He also told me to take things easy, watch what i ate, don't get too full. and definetly not to stress my self out too much (which i have been lately).

What i forgot to ask him, is if it would be ok to workout? like mebe some simple cardio? small jogging for 30mins? his office is closed by now, so i won't find out until tommarow morning when there opened and i can call them. but does anyone have any idea?

also, anyone who happened to have ulsers in the past, how was it? how long did it take you to heal? and did you workout?

Thanks guys
    To be honest with you I am baffled at the fact that doctors seem to go too easy on ulcers... A friend of mine had a lot of pain in the stomach area... He went to the Dr. and he prescribed something for ulcers and started treating it as such... Of course the pain continued and then he ordered additional test... It turns out it was not an ulcer but some other untreatable herniation of the eso****us or something like that IDK...

The test for H. pylori is very important in this case... Lots of ulcers turn to be H. pylori... However, H. pylori can be a coincidental finding b/c its very common... So dont stop bugging the Dr. until you feel he has nail down your problem... Your symptomps do sound like an ulcer but unless they do additional test (i.e. barium contrast x-ray aka barium swallow), nothing can be discarded for sure...

HTH
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)
    -Not a Dr. in Nutrition or any other Human Biology Field-
    Fish Scientist / Computer Geek / Gymaholic
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Ovolactate Pescaterian and scientist.

yea, my main idea is that if this doesn't heal by monday of next week (when my prilosec runs out), i'm gonna go in and asked to have blood tested. or go get a 2nd opinion

reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yea, my main idea is that if this doesn't heal by monday of next week (when my prilosec runs out), i'm gonna go in and asked to have blood tested. or go get a 2nd opinion
    If the Dr. suspects it is not an ulcer, I think he will have some more tests for you... Usually a blood test and some kind of radiography/endoscopy. I am just amazed at the fact that it seems its a standard protocol for dr.'s not tu run the tests for ulcers and just play it by the ear based on symptomps... Like I said, your physician is not the only one. I know of at least two or three similar cases...
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)

i got into a argument today with a co-worker. preety much she was telling me that a stomach ulcer never heals, it can be treated. but not healed, you just have to avoid foods that irritate it

while everything i've been told and read, says that ulcers are completely healable.

who is right?

I did something simple... I went to WebMD... I found out that your co-worker is wrong... Nowadays, one can make ulcers go away but you have to stick to a treatment regime... Also, if the ulcer is caused by H. pylori, you can get antibiotics and you will feel better right away...

HTH
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)