Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Bench Press reps- How does this look?

I am trying to maximize my bench press, and this is what I have been doing:

Warm-Up Sets-
    95# x 10
    135# x 10

Bench-
    155# x 8
    175# x 6
    185# x 4
    200# x 1

Does this look like a good routine for maximum gains?

Eric.

IronEagle86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    before your muscle building sets, add in at least 2 acclimation sets

for the muscle building sets, I dont suggest adding on weight after each set.. like pyramiding... put on a heavy weight you can only do 4-6 times, thats how you overload a muscle properly

Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So you are saying something like this would look better?

Warm-Up Sets-
    95# x 10
    135# x 10

Bench-
    175# x 6
    175# x 4
    175# x 2-4
    200# x 1

I always like to finish with a one rep max.
    Eric.

IronEagle86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    WARM UP:

first set - 12 reps
    second set - 10 reps

ACCLIMATION (MUSCLE PREPARATION) SETS:

first set - 6 reps
    second set - 3 reps

MUSCLE BUILDING SETS:

however many sets you're going to do.. 4-6 reps each

if you want to do a 1 rep max at the end, go for it

but I find 4-6 reps each set, with the same heavy weight works best

But I only wanted to tone Viking22's Avatar
    Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My bench routine:

135: 1x8

245: 3x6

When I can complete 3 sets of 6, I'll bump it up 5 lbs

Simple and effective for me. Not sure why people do all these sets at a weight they can handle easily. Wasted time imo.
    Green: It's the new Red

Let's just pray we're still allowed to vote in 2012.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    for maxing i would do a couple armup then a couple of 3 reps then build up doing single three or four sets....on the last hitting you full max...

muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i usually do a warmup set then 3working sets with 8-10 reps.
    So youre saying that for my chest to grow i should do reps in the 4-6range?why is this better?

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally posted by muscleandgains
    i usually do a warmup set then 3working sets with 8-10 reps.
    So youre saying that for my chest to grow i should do reps in the 4-6range?why is this better?
    well the original question was for maxing...

everyone has their ideal rep range for them...

BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    if you go to a one rep MAX every workout your CNS will hate you and your gains will cease to exist

muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleandgains will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by scott_donald
    well the original question was for maxing...

everyone has their ideal rep range for them...
    so whats ideal for muslce building?4-6 or 8-10?

Originally posted by muscleandgains
    so whats ideal for muslce building?4-6 or 8-10?
    everyone is different but i find for me it is 6-8... but yet again i am getitng great gains right now trying a differnt method....of using two rep schemes.. guess it trial and error....

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree that pyramiding is not the way to go. Start out with a heavy weight that you can do no more than 8 times. Do as many reps as you can (ie go to failure) with each set, keeping the weight the same. You will be able to do less reps each set.