Thread: ZMA and Milk

Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

ZMA and Milk

I know that your not supposed to drink milk with your ZMA because of the calcium, but how long do I have to wait after taking zma before i can have my protein drink at night?

ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Use water.

Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin_itm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I like to use milk before i go to sleep because it takes a long time to break down. Using water and whey, it'll be digested too quickly and it wont be an as effective bed time shake. I think milk is important to a protein drink... you need the extra calories too. Skim milk of coarse

ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChubbzterTF will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm pretty sure you're supposed to cut out calcium entirely if you're gonna use ZMA

What do you mean, cut it out? As in not take it at all? My question was how long do you have to wait after taking zma, before its safe to start drinking milk again. 1 hour? 2?

OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OneBetter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i'd say an hour is fine. that's generally what i do.
    ♛ ♛

GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GM54 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    even half an hour should be fine...
    <HTC>

Sounds like I got my answer. Any evidence to back that? Does anyone really know how long it takes for zma to be digested? or the calcium in milk.

|ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ChubbzterTF View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're supposed to cut out calcium entirely if you're gonna use ZMA
    This is not true. Calcium is an important mineral. Timing is important, though.

Magnesium (the M in ZMA) and Calcium compete for absorption in your system, and since milk digests slower than the ZMA capsules, take ZMA first (about 45-60 minutes before bed) and then your casein protein shake (or other milk product) just before bed. The ZMA will be mostly digested at that point.
    It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

Mods - my avatar is locked by the admin and can't be changed.

Jonnyboy81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonnyboy81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonnyboy81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonnyboy81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonnyboy81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonnyboy81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonnyboy81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonnyboy81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonnyboy81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonnyboy81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonnyboy81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I thought it was the zinc that competes with the calcium...

Almost everyone who bothers to take ZMA is going to have a slow digesting protein before bed, and almost inevitably that will contain some calcium.

I'm pretty sure that taking your shake with water won't make an appreciable difference, especially if you have casein in it. Just wait 45-60 minutes and hope for the best.
    Numero_uno: Criminals aren't going to walk five miles across town to a nice area, break in and steal a plasma screen TV and then carry it home.

ajzoot: You're right, they break into their poor ass next door neighbor and steal an AM radio and a digital watch.

Dixon: You're 15. How is he more successful than you, rides a bigger bicycle?

Smile

Originally Posted by little_dan View Post

Magnesium (the M in ZMA) and Calcium compete for absorption in your system, and since milk digests slower than the ZMA capsules, take ZMA first (about 45-60 minutes before bed) and then your casein protein shake (or other milk product) just before bed. The ZMA will be mostly digested at that point.
    Sounds good!

|ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Jonnyboy81 View Post
    I thought it was the zinc that competes with the calcium...

Almost everyone who bothers to take ZMA is going to have a slow digesting protein before bed, and almost inevitably that will contain some calcium.

I'm pretty sure that taking your shake with water won't make an appreciable difference, especially if you have casein in it. Just wait 45-60 minutes and hope for the best.
    I used to think that too. I did some reading up on it and while Zinc does compete with calcium, magnesium does to a greater degree. Either way, ZMA+calcium = poor absorption.
    It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

Mods - my avatar is locked by the admin and can't be changed.

Originally Posted by little_dan View Post

My fault I'll have to do some research before I give advice.