W8 Lifter 81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W8 Lifter 81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W8 Lifter 81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W8 Lifter 81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W8 Lifter 81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W8 Lifter 81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W8 Lifter 81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W8 Lifter 81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W8 Lifter 81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W8 Lifter 81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) W8 Lifter 81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question about lifting routine during a cut phase...

While cutting should you switch up your lifting routine or keep the same one used during regular bulking.

Also, since you are cutting calories and eating less, it is expected that you will not go up in weight while lifting, so should you just stick with the same weights and try to maintain strength rather than try to get stronger?

Should one expect to lose any strength during a cut phase?

itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000)
    You shouldn't change your workout, but I usually eliminate compound movements because they're very tiring and I won't have enough energy to do them well, or even progress.

You should expect to maintain strength and muscle mass, or to even lose a little.
    US ARMY Noncommissioned Officer
    OEF / OND Veteran
    CEO, BFM Enterprises International

++ Positive Crew ++

Owe Reps:
    kpd905, Oreopie, put5onyo, Derek1995

Lifetime Negs:
    DatDereVert

God of Fire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) God of Fire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) God of Fire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by W8 Lifter 81 View Post
    While cutting should you switch up your lifting routine or keep the same one used during regular bulking.

Also, since you are cutting calories and eating less, it is expected that you will not go up in weight while lifting, so should you just stick with the same weights and try to maintain strength rather than try to get stronger?

Yes, you'll lose strengh during your cut phase, but that's cause of the carbohyrdate deficit that the cutting strain will cause. You can keep the same routine, routines don't mean **** when it comes to cutting, that's all cardio and diet. If you're cutting, why the **** would you want to go up in weight?

Originally Posted by itslocke View Post
    You shouldn't change your workout, but I usually eliminate compound movements because they're very tiring and I won't have enough energy to do them well, or even progress.

You should expect to maintain strength and muscle mass, or to even lose a little.

^^ Awesome advice!! To think you're not sponsored by Prolab right now!! Stick to the normal teen lifting room and let the big boys play here, kid.
    Yeah.

itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000) itslocke is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by God of Fire View Post
    Yes, you'll lose strengh during your cut phase, but that's cause of the carbohyrdate deficit that the cutting strain will cause. You can keep the same routine, routines don't mean **** when it comes to cutting, that's all cardio and diet. If you're cutting, why the **** would you want to go up in weight?

^^ Awesome advice!! To think you're not sponsored by Prolab right now!! Stick to the normal teen lifting room and let the big boys play here, kid.
    Excuse me?
    OEF / OND Veteran

++ Positive Crew ++

Owe Reps:

Lifetime Negs:
    DatDereVert

God of Fire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) God of Fire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) God of Fire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Excuse me?
    I was making fun of your vague and stupid answer. I thought I was pretty clear in my intent..
    Yeah.

I was making fun of your vague and stupid answer. I thought I was pretty clear in my intent..
    Why? You're being completely idiotic. Everyone knows that you don't need to change your set and rep scheme because you're cutting. What determines the success of your cut is your diet and cardio.

I offered my personal opinion as well, which is that I am far too tired and have too little calories to progress with heavy compounds. How is that bad advice?

I think you have some research to do. Enjoy your negs.
    OEF / OND Veteran

++ Positive Crew ++

Owe Reps:

Lifetime Negs:
    DatDereVert

Why? You're being completely idiotic. Everyone knows that you don't need to change your set and rep scheme because you're cutting. What determines the success of your cut is your diet and cardio.

I offered my personal opinion as well, which is that I am far too tired and have too little calories to progress with heavy compounds. How is that bad advice?

I think you have some research to do. Enjoy your negs.
    Are you serious? His advice was broad and not accurate. And your advice is useless as well. Until you know what you're doing, don't comment. I've done years of research; I don't need to be called out by a 160 lb badass.
    Yeah.

Are you serious? His advice was broad and not accurate. And your advice is useless as well. Until you know what you're doing, don't comment. I've done years of research; I don't need to be called out by a 160 lb badass.
    I obviously am more knowledgeable about this than you. So go f*ck yourself.
    OEF / OND Veteran

++ Positive Crew ++

Owe Reps:

Lifetime Negs:
    DatDereVert

I obviously am more knowledgeable about this than you. So go f*ck yourself.
    Are you serious? You've got about as much knowledge as someone who just started lifting. Holy **** though. You're ****ing huge dude, look at your avatar. I should listen to you.
    Yeah.

Are you serious? You've got about as much knowledge as someone who just started lifting. Holy **** though. You're ****ing huge dude, look at your avatar. I should listen to you.
    HOLY ****!!!!! Look at yours!!!

Wait...where is it? Oh, and nice job negging me by the way. Your insane 0 reps will hurt me so much!!
    Last edited by itslocke; 04-17-2007 at 12:03 PM.
    OEF / OND Veteran

++ Positive Crew ++

Owe Reps:

Lifetime Negs:
    DatDereVert

HOLY ****!!!!! Look at yours!!!

Wait...where is it? Oh, and nice job negging me by the way. Your insane 0 reps will hurt me so much!!
    Kid, if you want to compare phsyiques just let me know. I don't make a habit of embarrassing young little ****s, but in your case I'll make an exception.
    Yeah.

Kid, if you want to compare phsyiques just let me know. I don't make a habit of embarrassing young little ****s, but in your case I'll make an exception.
    I'm waiting as*hole.
    OEF / OND Veteran

++ Positive Crew ++

Owe Reps:

Lifetime Negs:
    DatDereVert

K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by W8 Lifter 81 View Post

You may want to consider changing the reps. Depending on your diet, if your carbs are low it may not be as easy to do higher reps (12-15). If you are on a ketogenic diet reps of 6-8 may be easier to perform. Thats only if you are dropping a significant amount of carbs however. Your strength may diminish over time but it wont be immediate. Loss of strength should not be too drastic either. If you find yourself dropping 50 pounds on bench for example you know your losing weight too fast and you are in too much of a caloric deficit. Otherwise I would keep the routine the same.
    A king may move a man, a father may claim a son. But remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice. Remember that.

I'm waiting as*hole.
    What gym do you train at you Little ****. I'll gladly drive there.
    Yeah.

What gym do you train at you Little ****. I'll gladly drive there.
    Hahaha I like how you're turning this gay e-fight into something serious, meaning that you're a stupid internet tough guy.

Maybe if you took the time to read my bodyspace you could have surprised me with a visit at FIFTH AVENUE FITNESS in OLYMPIA, WASHINGTON 98501.

See you there....hahaha.
    OEF / OND Veteran

++ Positive Crew ++

Owe Reps:

Lifetime Negs:
    DatDereVert

Hahaha I like how you're turning this gay e-fight into something serious, meaning that you're a stupid internet tough guy.

Maybe if you took the time to read my bodyspace you could have surprised me with a visit at FIFTH AVENUE FITNESS in OLYMPIA, WASHINGTON 98501.

See you there....hahaha.
    Internet badass? You're the skinny little anorexic shrimp who talks like he knows what hes doing. Now you're acting tough like you want me to show up, like you could actually win a fight. Kid, I'm twice your size, but I also have more to lose.
    Yeah.

Internet badass? You're the skinny little anorexic shrimp who talks like he knows what hes doing. Now you're acting tough like you want me to show up, like you could actually win a fight. Kid, I'm twice your size, but I also have more to lose.
    Dude you just read my post and you can't remember what it said. It's "INTERNET TOUGH-GUY" smart one. I'm not anorexic, and its quite obvious that I have a good amount of muscle mass.

I'm not acting tough like I want you to show up so I can fight you, as a matter of fact I wouldn't fight you or anyone right now because I can't risk any sort of trouble with the law. I'm laughing and acting smug because I KNOW you won't come and fight me. Yes...you're OBVIOUSLY twice my size. I can tell by your pictures that you're 296 pounds.
    OEF / OND Veteran

++ Positive Crew ++

Owe Reps:

Lifetime Negs:
    DatDereVert

Dude you just read my post and you can't remember what it said. It's "INTERNET TOUGH-GUY" smart one. I'm not anorexic, and its quite obvious that I have a good amount of muscle mass.

I'm not acting tough like I want you to show up so I can fight you, as a matter of fact I wouldn't fight you or anyone right now because I can't risk any sort of trouble with the law. I'm laughing and acting smug because I KNOW you won't come and fight me. Yes...you're OBVIOUSLY twice my size. I can tell by your pictures that you're 296 pounds.
    Internet tough guy and internet badass have the same connontations. No, you don't have a good amount of muscle mass. You wouldn't have to worry about trouble with the law, because you wouldn't even be able to throw a punch. You're a limp wristed little queer who probably gets the **** beat out of him everyday; you look like you're waiting to be anally ravaged in your avatar.
    I'm not 296 lbs, I am 235 lbs. Twice your size is called an exaggeration, but I guarantee that I look twice as big as you, kid.
    Yeah.

Internet tough guy and internet badass have the same connontations. No, you don't have a good amount of muscle mass. You wouldn't have to worry about trouble with the law, because you wouldn't even be able to throw a punch. You're a limp wristed little queer who probably gets the **** beat out of him everyday; you look like you're waiting to be anally ravaged in your avatar.
    I'm not 296 lbs, I am 235 lbs. Twice your size is called an exaggeration, but I guarantee that I look twice as big as you, kid.
    Its "connotations." And yes, I do have a good amount of muscle mass. I think if you asked anyone on here they'd say I have a fair amount; that I look pretty good.

Wow, why do you feel you need to be such a dick? Well first off, I'm never beaten up at school, second off I've boxed for a few years so I know a little something, and third I'm not gay.

Well I'm waiting on those pictures. Nice e-stats by the way.
    OEF / OND Veteran

++ Positive Crew ++

Owe Reps:

Lifetime Negs:
    DatDereVert

Its "connotations." And yes, I do have a good amount of muscle mass. I think if you asked anyone on here they'd say I have a fair amount; that I look pretty good.

Wow, why do you feel you need to be such a dick? Well first off, I'm never beaten up at school, second off I've boxed for a few years so I know a little something, and third I'm not gay.

Well I'm waiting on those pictures. Nice e-stats by the way.
    If I asked anyone on here who is under the age of 15 and under 170 lbs, then yeah, they'd agree. You'd get laughed off of any other board; that is why you come to this one and act like a badass. You've boxed for a few years? I highly doubt that. You look like you'd get knocked out by a 12 year old in a wheelchair.
    Yeah.

If I asked anyone on here who is under the age of 15 and under 170 lbs, then yeah, they'd agree. You'd get laughed off of any other board; that is why you come to this one and act like a badass. You've boxed for a few years? I highly doubt that. You look like you'd get knocked out by a 12 year old in a wheelchair.
    I came to this board because i've been buying supplements off bodybuilding.com for years and decided I'd like to learn some stuff about bodybuilding/nutrition/contest prep as well as give out advice the best I could.

And yes I have boxed for a few years. Since the age of 12 to 17. My coach was Lydell Spry of The! Boxing Academy in Olympia, WA. Feel free to look him up.
    OEF / OND Veteran

++ Positive Crew ++

Owe Reps:

Lifetime Negs:
    DatDereVert

I came to this board because i've been buying supplements off bodybuilding.com for years and decided I'd like to learn some stuff about bodybuilding/nutrition/contest prep as well as give out advice the best I could.

And yes I have boxed for a few years. Since the age of 12 to 17. My coach was Lydell Spry of The! Boxing Academy in Olympia, WA. Feel free to look him up.
    Taking a punch from a 160 lb anorexic wouldn't really hurt me too much, chief
    Yeah.

Taking a punch from a 160 lb anorexic wouldn't really hurt me too much, chief
    I never said I wanted to punch you, or that I would even be able to beat you up; as I not only have no intention of ever seeing/hurting you but I don't even know you or what you look like.

I notice another red square...
    OEF / OND Veteran

++ Positive Crew ++

Owe Reps:

Lifetime Negs:
    DatDereVert

I never said I wanted to punch you, or that I would even be able to beat you up; as I not only have no intention of ever seeing/hurting you but I don't even know you or what you look like.

I notice another red square...
    Kinda cute aren't they?
    Yeah.

Kinda cute aren't they?
    I like to think so.
    OEF / OND Veteran

++ Positive Crew ++

Owe Reps:

Lifetime Negs:
    DatDereVert

jonebone will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonebone will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonebone will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonebone will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonebone will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonebone will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonebone will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonebone will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonebone will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonebone will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonebone will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wow this thread got ruined fast. No one cares about you two arguing, no need to thread jack. Back to the original question.

Answer is, you definitely won't be going up in weight while your cutting, unless you are on some crazy supplements or steriods. If you had a very intense routine when you were bulking, you definitely should change it now that you are trying to cut. If your routine wasn't that demanding, then its probably safe to keep it the same.

And actually, you should focus your energy on compound exercises. When you are cutting, isolation exercises aren't going to benefit much because you aren't going to gain any strength. Your main focus should be to maintain your current strength while loosing the least amount of mass possible. In order to do this, compound exercises are great at preserving strength in multiple muscles, plus you won't have to spend hours in the gym.