DanielNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Do u urinate more on a high-protein diet?

I began body building last summer and I increased ( probably tripled) my protein intake.
    I notice that I wake up at night to pee( it never happened before ) and also during the day I have to pee more frequently than before( 6-7 times a day). I red about this and found out thet higher protein uptake leads to increased diuresis, but I want to know if other people experience this.I am a bit worried because this could also be symptoms of Prostate or bladder disease.

Thank you for your replies.

Loose Cannon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you are fine...i eat 250g of protein a day and piss 10 times or more a day...plus i drink a gallon or more of water a day...

sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As long as you're drinking enough water, you shouldn't have to worry about a high-protein diet. This increased water intake will, in turn, make you go to the bathroom more. If you're having problems with peeing at night, try cutting off water intake at a certain time, maybe around 7:30, so that you aren't full when you go to bed.
    not big yet... but im gonna get there
    the battle of the doggpound has begun

hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    yeah i wake up bursting to go to the toilet and i cant go back to sleep until i have been its pretty freaky and i drink at least 6 liters of water a day to try and stay on top of the supplements etc

Todd84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd84 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd84 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have the same situation. I drink lots of water during the day, and hardly any at night, yet I have to piss like crazy at about 5 am every morning

Mike83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mike83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mike83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mike83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mike83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mike83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mike83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mike83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mike83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mike83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mike83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i wake up at night with an erection all the time and I have to piss bad, i think its like a stabalizing device to prevent me from pissing in sleep or something.
    Motivation/Dedication/Time=Results

-"Command And Conquer" -

AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    yep i do pee more often nowadays since i've increased my protein intake lately, which also goes with an increase in water consumption.
    "Knowing is not enough, one must apply" ~ Bruce Lee

ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I definetly notice and increase when consuming higher protein intake.
    Aug 1 - Nov 1 Comp:
    8-1: xxx.x | 8-8: xxx.x | 8-15: xxx.x | 8-22: xxx.x | 8-29: xxx.x | Month Total:
    9-5: xxx.x | 9-12: xxx.x | 9-19: xxx.x | 9-26: xxx.x | Month Total:
    10-3: xxx.x | 10-10: xxx.x | 10-17: xxx.x | 10-24: xxx.x | 10-31 xxx.x | Month Total:
    Final Weigh-in | 11-1: (Goal: 210 lbs)

hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hiphop has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i guess it just goes to show how good drinking water is for the body. but im thinking of now getting up at say 4 in the morning and having a snack and a wee. cos whenever i wake up at 7 i can feel my body in a catabolic state and the despereate need to piss is there and i cant shake it

sousou91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sousou91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sousou91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sousou91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sousou91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sousou91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sousou91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sousou91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sousou91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sousou91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sousou91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Smile

Yes you urinate more. Proteins are made of amino acids, when you have a high protein diet you have excess amino acids. Your body therefore takes the amino group of these amino acids and converts them into urea. Protein is usually broken down into water, carbon dioxide and nitrates( urea). This explains the frequent urinating and the drinking more water.

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Quality answer. I'm sure op has been waiting 8 years for it. You will be very valuable around here. Welcome
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

Genetically Challenged Determ1ned's Avatar
    Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by psychodiver9 View Post
    Quality answer. I'm sure op has been waiting 8 years for it. You will be very valuable around here. Welcome
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but I was doing some research on Google and this came up.

I too have this issue but high for me would be relatively low for most of you. I've been tracking my calories and protein intake for a while and frequent urination tends to occur on days I consume over 100g of protein. Forget trying to hit 1g/lb of body weight or even LBM. At 184lbs if I eat half my body weight in protein I'm up several times per night having to pee.

I then question if consuming higher protein is worth it if my sleep is being disrupted so often. You need both to build muscle and honestly I feel like crap with little to no sleep. I do good to get 6 hours as is.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Determ1ned View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but I was doing some research on Google and this came up.

I too have this issue but high for me would be relatively low for most of you. I've been tracking my calories and protein intake for a while and frequent urination tends to occur on days I consume over 100g of protein. Forget trying to hit 1g/lb of body weight or even LBM. At 184lbs if I eat half my body weight in protein I'm up several times per night having to pee.
    You're probably drinking a lot of fluids. Try drinking less.

And you only need 0.7 gram protein per lb.

Also try having more of your protein earlier in the day.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 11-19-2019 at 12:33 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Anecdotally, yes it does. I get up in the night if I have an evening protein shake. Once is manageable but I would be looking to change my approach if it's several times, sleep it more important than getting overly particular about protein timing or quantities. As mentioned, you don't need an excessive amount of protein and should spread it through the day.

Genetically Challenged Determ1ned's Avatar
    Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50) Determ1ned will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    You're probably drinking a lot of fluids. Try drinking less.

And you only need 0.7 gram protein per lb.

Also try having more of your protein earlier in the day.
    My fluid intake really isn't high. I don't log it like I do my meals but I'm not consuming anymore fluids on "higher" protein days than I would otherwise.

I recently took a 3 month break from working out due to our business, family, life, etc... During this time I really didn't monitor any food intake or anything but some days I would drink a few beers along with my regular fluids for the day and still wouldn't have to urinate as much as I do when consuming above 100g of protein for the day.

I've seen this trend too many times and have realized my body cannot tolerate much protein.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Determ1ned View Post
    My fluid intake really isn't high.
    Maybe not from drinking fluids but vegetables, fruit, dairy also contain a lot of water.

It's a combination of factors: total fluid intake, total food intake, protein intake, protein distribution.

I recently took a 3 month break from working out due to our business, family, life, etc... During this time I really didn't monitor any food intake or anything but some days I would drink a few beers along with my regular fluids for the day and still wouldn't have to urinate as much as I do when consuming above 100g of protein for the day.

I've seen this trend too many times and have realized my body cannot tolerate much protein.
    Try 120 gram of protein with lower fluid intake (from liquids and foods).

And shift most of your protein intake to earlier in the day.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/