PhatGus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Recovery after Giving Blood???

Hey Guys,

I make a habit out of giving blood every 3 months or so and I definetly noticed that workouts and especially cardio are lacking for a few days afterwards. I start breathing hard if I am walking to class quickly...

Just wondering if anyone else on the board gives blood and if so what they do to recover other than eating a little more and taking in more fluids.

I gave yesterday and it really doesn't matter if I recover this week because I am taking the week off before I start my new routine anyway, but I was just wondering for future reference. It sucks when I am breathing like I ran a mile after I just walked to class...

Let me know.

Thanks,
    Eric
    20 years old
    6'2"
    ~205 lbs, ~14% BF

Max Bench 285
    Max Squat 350

Chest 45.5" Arms 17.5" Waist 34" Thighs 25" Calves 17"

I used to weigh 265 @ ~27% Body Fat...I've Come farther than most could and now nothing can stop me!

Current Supplements: Protein (Various Forms), Glutamine, Glucosamine, Centrum Performance, ZMA, Swole V.2

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm 16, so I've never given blood. It's a good question.

meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I will be giving blood for the first time next friday, and my next workout will be on the next monday. I hope this will be enough rest.
    Bulking.

Check out my Cre Ethyl Thunder Log:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=387162

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have worked out the same night after giving blood. Not full force but lighter weight, just a couple of reps and sets. I wouldn't recommend working out the same day, but I'm stubborn that way. You should be fine within 48 hours though IMO.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

PhatGus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

You will be fine if you give Friday and workout Monday.

My problem is usually just the 2 days after.

Definetly do not give blood then workout later that day...good way to pass out!!! We had a blood drive at my highschool and I was on the Basketball team, almost all of the team gave blood and nearly half of us passed out or got extremely dizzy during practice later that day.

I have worked out earlier in the day then given blood a little later. That actually works nicely because then you have a lot of blood pumping through your veins. It makes it easier for them to find the vein and you fill up the bag much quicker.

I'm just looking for ways to recover quicker in that 2 days after...
    20 years old
    6'2"
    ~205 lbs, ~14% BF

Max Bench 285
    Max Squat 350

Chest 45.5" Arms 17.5" Waist 34" Thighs 25" Calves 17"

I used to weigh 265 @ ~27% Body Fat...I've Come farther than most could and now nothing can stop me!

Current Supplements: Protein (Various Forms), Glutamine, Glucosamine, Centrum Performance, ZMA, Swole V.2