MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Putting On Size - Diet Considerations

I'm new to the board but have a problem that more than one of us may be facing.

I'm almost 54, been lifting for 2 years, have already competed in my 1st show end of 2000 and in the process did everything wrong
    going from 210 lbs. to 150 in 5 months (too much cardio, too few calories!!!).

Now the question.......... after rebounding from a serious illness I'm back to 185, lifting heaving using AST's MAX OT routine with a 5 on, 2 off split............I'm gaining in weight lifted, but size seems to be at a stall. What are some of you doing to put on size with diet, but not put on too much fat at the same time? Thanks!
    Keep tryin' and never, ever give up!

Nehemiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would suggest training no more than 4 days per week. 5 in a row is a bit much on the joints, tendons and recovery time even with a split routine. In theory, one might be able to train more often if they had fairly high testosterone and/or GH levels. But once we get past 35 to 40, we have to be a bit more careful regarding recovery time.

In regards to routine, I prefer to do a 4 day routine with a upper and lower body split (an example of what I am currently doing is listed under my PH Stack question on both this board and the supplement board). It is a sound routine and worth a try for anyone either as a change of pace or for a strength/size program. My training partner is around 6'0'' tall, low bodyfat and currently is at 210 lbs. He has gained 5 lbs. since training with me over the last 10 to 12 weeks. His strength has went up considerably and he is most pleased with his results. This guy is also the owner of a local martial arts school and is a 2nd degree black belt along with being a deputy sheriff K9 guy (only saying this to let you know that he had been working out with both cardio and weights...but not with anywhere near the intensity or regularity that he is now).

Regarding diet, I have always been a big fan of high protein, moderate to high fat and low to moderate carbs. Beef, eggs, chicken, fish, cheese, protein powder and more eggs (I eat a lot of eggs!). My cholestorol hovers around the 200 mark and blood sugar ranges from 80 to 90. Also, it seems that by adding more fat into your diet it is easier to get both strength and size along with a little better recovery for my joints (just my experience, although I have heard others say the same).

Supplements are important...back in my steroid days I could train pretty much however often I wanted (usually 6 days a week with very heavy weights and to failure on most movements) and do great in regards to both size, strength and recovery time. Today, I am a fan of the PH products...which seem to emulate some of what steroids used to do for me. With that being said, it seems that "less is better" regarding frequency of training as long as I train brutally hard.

Precontest dieting is successful for many by simply restricting carbs a great deal and increasing water intake as you approach your contest date. One would also want to restrict their fat intake a great deal during the last 8 weeks as well.

Hope something here can be of some help. Train hard!

MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks, Nehemiah.

It's apparent that your experiences have developed your wisdom. I'm following much of what you said in the areas of diet and supps. I think I may consider altering the frequency of training if I don't get unstuck quickly.

Again, thanks for responding.

ojs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Putting On Size - Diet Considerations

MAX MADMAN,

Originally posted by MAX MADMAN
    .......... after rebounding from a serious illness I'm back to 185, lifting heaving using AST's MAX OT routine with a 5 on, 2 off split............
    If your over 50years old your seriously over-training. I didn't start gaining size until I backed off to 2 to 3 days a week. That's when I started gaining a lot of size. And I mean muscle weight.

If I had to do it all over again my routine would look like this: Squats, partial deadlifts, heavy bent-over rows, DB bench press and DB overhead pressess. That's it. Nothing more. Twice a week REAL hard.

UpperBody once a week:
    Starting with partial dead-lifts; 3 light warm-up sets then 5 sets of 5. And 2 to 3 light warm-up sets and 2 working sets on the rest

LowerBody once a week:
    Calves, standing leg-curls and 5 sets of 35 light sqauats super-setted with some breathing pull-overs.

Then upping lower body to twice a week after 2 to 4 months. I would do this for about 4 to 6 months. I could have shortened my 2-1/2 year gains to 1-1/2 years guarenteed! Absolutely no small muscle waste-of-growing-time distractions. Last year from February until October I did not work my arms, abs or traps just to prove my point.
    Last edited by ojs; 04-09-2002 at 08:14 AM.

Smile

Thanks, OJS>

Appreciate your time and words to help me out. I'm still relatively new to all of this after lifting for only 2 years. What you've told me I haven't heard before....except for overtraining which I tended to do at first. That's why I switched to the MAX OT program. Even though the 5 on 2 off schedule sounds tough, and sometimes it is esp. with LEGS, I'm only doing approximately 7-8 heavy sets (4-6 reps) per body part utilizing 3 exercises. That all being said, I think that I may switch to a 3 or 4 day schedule and incorporate some of your thinking.

I'm so headstrong about bodybuilding, that's often what gets me through it all................my desire, intensity and drive.............that far exceeds, at this point, my size. That's why I chose the MAX OT routine..........heavy & efficient with simple, compound movements. I'm 54 but sure don't feel, think or look it and I'm starting to hear and realize that some of the hard core and intennse training, supps and diet may not work as well for us "older guys" based on our body physiology. I guess I'm out to try and disprove that! Aren't most of us???????

Again, thanks and genuinely respect your insight and experience.