mdude85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

why am I always hungry?

Hi everyone! This is my first post on bodybuilding.com and I hope to get some valuable info from everyone. Here is a little background on me, I don't know how much you need. I am 18 years old, weigh around 140 lbs and I am around 5'6" - 5'7". I started working out (I'm not a bodybuilder, I just want to become a little bigger) in Dec. 2002, worked out pretty heavily (3-4 times a week for about 6-8 months and gained 15 lbs of muscle). Then I stopped working out as much when I got to college (went about once a week and muscle mass decreased a bit). Now I'm in my second semester and I'm trying to build up again by going around 2-3 times per week. But college life is not easy on the body and I don't have time to eat five times a day. Okay, now there's that. Here is my question.

It seems like I am ALWAYS hungry. I wake up hungry and can't go 45 minutes without feeling hunger pains in the morning. I usually eat a decent breakfast (two bowls of cereal and two glasses of juice) and head off to class. After that, I don't get to eat a meal until 1 PM! I try to eat a banana or two between classes (would you suggest something else healthier?). But it seems like I am forever hungry...I eat large meals at the dining hall and in my dorm but end up really hungry two hours later. But it's really hard to just eat whenever I want because I have a limited supply of food in the dorm and in the dining hall. During class, it's hard to concentrate because I'm too hungry.

Does anyone know why I am always craving food? Is there anything you would suggest in my meals to make me want food every four or so hours instead of every 1 or 2 hours? Should I eat small snacks? Just general eating habits. (I know all about the foods I am supposed to eat -- large amts of proteins like fish, eggs, meat, and some carbohydrates such as breads and pasta). Is it good to go to sleep hungry or go to sleep full of food? I have heard going to sleep full just puts fat around your stomach. Any truth to that.

Wow, sorry, this is a huge post! I just have a lot of questions. Hope you can answer them. Thanks!!
    Scott

Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're hungry all the time, you are not eating enough food. Do you use fitday.com?

tinychineseguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Maybe you have a leptin disorder.
    Hard work always pays off.

sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sidewinda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Assuming that you're drinking at least a gallon of water a day, it would be my guess that you're not eating enough. Start to eat more and see what happens. If you gain fat like crazy, then you should find some more filling foods, veggies or something high in fiber. Spreading out meals over the course of the day would help too, but you said you can't do that; even eating a protein bar and a glass of milk in the morning period there would probably help a lot. Your call.
    not big yet... but im gonna get there
    the battle of the doggpound has begun

jussA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    try fasting for 12hours to shrink your stomache.

i had to do that all of nov last year for my religion, while playing hs football.

im obese and i can still handle fasting for long periods of time.
    Height: 5'5

3/10/05 240 lbs
    4/10/05 ???
    5/10/05 ???
    6/10/05 ???
    7/10/05 ???
    8/10/05 ???

Short-term Goal: Lose 8 lbs every month
    Long-term Goal: 180 lbs by the end of August '05

-={I Lift Because I Can}= oStarGazerXVII's Avatar
    oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well it doesn't sound as if this guy's obese, and fasting is a terrible idea- and I speak from experience yet again.

mdude, for college I recommend you do what I intend to in college- hoard food. Might look rediculous to other people, but to dwell on preceptions is to ride the chariot of insecurity.
    "The Fitness Insight-" www.geocities.com/ostargazerxvii

"As far as I know, I'll only be here once. I might as well make it a good experience"

AIM- oStarGazerXVII

jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you should try carring around a bag of nuts in your bag and snacking on them. they are the original functional food..fats, carbs, and PROTEIN and easier to store than bananas :-)

breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000)

This is a blessing not a disease. lol. You probably just have a fast metabolism. Eat up.

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I usually eat a decent breakfast (two bowls of cereal and two glasses of juice) and head off to class. After that, I don't get to eat a meal until 1 PM! I try to eat a banana or two between classes (would you suggest something else healthier?). But it seems like I am forever hungry...I eat large meals at the dining hall and in my dorm but end up really hungry two hours later.

To be honest, that diet sounds terrible.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

Originally posted by Atavis
    To be honest, that diet sounds terrible.
    It's the best I can do on mon. wed. fri, as I have class straight from 9 AM to 1 PM with 5 minute intervals in between.
    Scott

Wheytgain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheytgain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheytgain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheytgain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheytgain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheytgain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheytgain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheytgain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheytgain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheytgain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wheytgain is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    What happened to making food in advance? Or prot shakes/bars?
    Theres nothing to see here - move along.

Originally posted by Wheytgain
    What happened to making food in advance? Or prot shakes/bars?
    Should I invest in some protein bars and eat them between classes instead of bananas? I am not trying to build mass during this time, I just want to not be so hungry.
    Scott

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    K.

Skip the cereal at breakfast or at the very least add some food to it. Cereal is not food. It's baked sugar, unless you are eating 100% Bran or something. Add some eggs, chicken, or beef.

Then, get something better than a banana for a snack. That is just a fruity form of a fast digesting soft sugar pulp. A protein shake or bar would be perfect.

As a general rule: If you want to stay satiated, stay away from simple carbs. Instead you want to concentrate on fibrous foods and low GI carbs with lots of Protein and moderate fat inatke.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

Originally posted by Atavis
    K.

Skip the cereal at breakfast or at the very least add some food to it. Cereal is not food. It's baked sugar, unless you are eating 100% Bran or something. Add some eggs, chicken, or beef.

Then, get something better than a banana for a snack. That is just a fruity form of a fast digesting soft sugar pulp. A protein shake or bar would be perfect.

As a general rule: If you want to stay satiated, stay away from simple carbs. Instead you want to concentrate on fibrous foods and low GI carbs with lots of Protein and moderate fat inatke.
    thanks for the advice. the cereal I eat is usually rice krispies or cheerios.
    Scott