Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Jiggly/soft fat vs Hard Fat

Does anyone know why some people have jiggly/soft fat, while others have hard fat?

The fat on my abs are soft and jiggly...anybody know how different losing this fat is to losing hard fat?

Willy Beans has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Re: Jiggly/soft fat vs Hard Fat

Originally posted by EnergyGate
    Does anyone know why some people have jiggly/soft fat, while others have hard fat?
    Aliens put that on them.

DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd say it has to do with the amount of skin tightness...but that's my assumption.

Derek
    Current Cutt after 6 mo bulk
    206-177

Summer Last year 04':
    161@10%BF

Summer 05' goal
    Goal 165-167@10%BF.

Transformation photos:
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=270629[/url]
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=193621[/url]

Mr Nasty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is all in the muscle cells. Some have more cells than other. Its a desity issue.

My buddy's belly is huge, however, it doesnt jiggle or shake allt hat much. Its hard to grap and pinch. My belly is equally as big, however, I can grap hand fulls and it shakes with the greatest of ease.

Our body fats (BF%) are the same. His fat just seems to be more dense than mine.

EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnergyGate will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by DeezGst
    I'd say it has to do with the amount of skin tightness...but that's my assumption.

Derek
    I don't know about that, cuz when I pull my stomach back and tighten it, it's still soft and muchy...
    Last edited by EnergyGate; 02-12-2004 at 12:29 PM.

C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally posted by Mr Nasty
    Is all in the muscle cells. Some have more cells than other. Its a desity issue.

My buddy's belly is huge, however, it doesnt jiggle or shake allt hat much. Its hard to grap and pinch. My belly is equally as big, however, I can grap hand fulls and it shakes with the greatest of ease.

Our body fats (BF%) are the same. His fat just seems to be more dense than mine.
    What are u doing grabbing and pinching your " buddy's" belly?
    Please "neg" me...I love it!

DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just know that as I have lost weight mine has become less dense...as stated above. So I don't know. I always just assumed skin tightness.

Derek
    Current Cutt after 6 mo bulk
    206-177

Summer Last year 04':
    161@10%BF

Summer 05' goal
    Goal 165-167@10%BF.

Transformation photos:
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=270629[/url]
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=193621[/url]

RLRUSK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RLRUSK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RLRUSK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RLRUSK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RLRUSK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RLRUSK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RLRUSK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RLRUSK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RLRUSK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I've read that squishy fat is acumulated just under the skin and hard fat is intermuscular (in the muscle). Hard fat is believed to raise your risk of heart disease.

Gloggy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gloggy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gloggy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gloggy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gloggy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gloggy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gloggy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gloggy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gloggy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gloggy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gloggy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hard fat is fat that hasn't seen a good deal of blood circulation in a loooooong time. The fat tends to settle nicely and gets relatively hard. Remember fat needs very little maintenance so the body doesn't bother providing much circulation to the tissue. It's therefore common for people that haven't had much exercise to have hard fat (or rather, it's just firm). Once you start getting plenty of cardiovascular exercise however your circulation improves dramatically. Your body needs to open all the capilliaries at the surface of your skin to get the blood moving around. This means capilliaries through subcutaneous fat. So as you get fitter, your fat turns more jelly-like (it's quite nasty, trust me ). However, it's a great sign. The more blood vessels going through your fat, the more readily your body can access those fat stores and the healthier your body is becoming.

It's all the same stuff, but the soft fat is the one that's disappearing and the hard fat will just hang around.

nabrudigam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Gloggy
    Hard fat is fat that hasn't seen a good deal of blood circulation in a loooooong time. The fat tends to settle nicely and gets relatively hard. Remember fat needs very little maintenance so the body doesn't bother providing much circulation to the tissue. It's therefore common for people that haven't had much exercise to have hard fat (or rather, it's just firm). Once you start getting plenty of cardiovascular exercise however your circulation improves dramatically. Your body needs to open all the capilliaries at the surface of your skin to get the blood moving around. This means capilliaries through subcutaneous fat. So as you get fitter, your fat turns more jelly-like (it's quite nasty, trust me ). However, it's a great sign. The more blood vessels going through your fat, the more readily your body can access those fat stores and the healthier your body is becoming.

It's all the same stuff, but the soft fat is the one that's disappearing and the hard fat will just hang around.
    This is very interesting to me because I have lost 23 pounds and my body looks worse than before because the fat that I still have to lose is now hanging like blobs of tapioca on my thighs and belly. My calves and arms look good which only exaggerates the jiggly thighs and belly. My hips are now smaller than my belly as I don't seem to lose from the belly as fast as the butt & thighs. It's driving me nuts. Any suggestions?

N

RoAR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RoAR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RoAR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RoAR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RoAR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RoAR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RoAR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    no no wait..i really want to know why that guy was grabbing his friends belly!!!???
    You can do w/e you set your mind to doing.. beeeleedat

deono has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    wouldnt it have to do with just retaining water and water density in the fat
    --

jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by deono View Post
    wouldnt it have to do with just retaining water and water density in the fat
    Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I came across this and I am wondering if there are any new ideas on this. The fat on my waistline is soft. I have a bit of sag on both sides of my navel, whereas most people I see with belly fat, the fat looks harder and sags evenly across their waistline.
    Trying to go from keg to 6 pack!!!
    June 7, 2009 242 lbs
    March 30, 2010 179 lbs

NedoCTB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NedoCTB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NedoCTB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NedoCTB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NedoCTB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NedoCTB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NedoCTB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NedoCTB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NedoCTB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NedoCTB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NedoCTB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have this problem mainly on.... Inner Thighs, hips, lower stomach. Kind of sucks and it is quite disgusting.
    07/22/08 - 260

older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jhbrotherton1 View Post
    Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I came across this and I am wondering if there are any new ideas on this. The fat on my waistline is soft. I have a bit of sag on both sides of my navel, whereas most people I see with belly fat, the fat looks harder and sags evenly across their waistline.
    This comes from people misspelling the word "lose". All the people coming onto this board and saying they want to "loose fat" has caused it to come true. Their formally firm fat becomes loose fat.

(Actually, I'm pretty sure it's just because of looser skin. Same thing happened to me when I lost 20 lbs. My stomach fat, or what's left of it, became a lot jigglier. From reading others on this board, this is common. I suspect, or hope, that this is also temporary.)
    05/24/2009, 186.2 lbs
    04/01/2010, 159.4 lbs

Loose rhymes with goose. Lose rhymes with ooze.

jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhbrotherton1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by older2533 View Post
    This comes from people misspelling the word "lose". All the people coming onto this board and saying they want to "loose fat" has caused it to come true. Their formally firm fat becomes loose fat.

(Actually, I'm pretty sure it's just because of looser skin. Same thing happened to me when I lost 20 lbs. My stomach fat, or what's left of it, became a lot jigglier. From reading others on this board, this is common. I suspect, or hope, that this is also temporary.)

Mine was loose and jiggly before I lost any weight though. I guess it is just that we are all different. I can't wait for it to be gone though. Any other ideas on the differences?
    June 7, 2009 242 lbs
    March 30, 2010 179 lbs

csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Don't know of the actual truth behind the differences, but it sure seems to be a common phenomenon when getting leaner:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...uishy-fat.html

GShonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GShonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jhbrotherton1 View Post
    You may want to look into fat and visceral fat.

Originally Posted by GShonen View Post
    You may want to look into fat and visceral fat.
    Visceral fat is around organs. I am speaking of subcutaneous fat.
    June 7, 2009 242 lbs
    March 30, 2010 179 lbs

SirRhosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirRhosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirRhosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirRhosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirRhosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirRhosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirRhosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirRhosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirRhosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirRhosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) SirRhosis is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I always wondered this too. I have several friends that are fat... I'm an American, I would be surprised if all of my friends were skinny and fit. I'm also a bit on the heavy side, lol, but I'm squishy like some of my friends. My fat jiggles, it hangs more, it is soft to the touch, etc.

I have a couple friends that can flex and their "huge belly" feels has hard as many 'rock hard abs' on fitness people. You can even almost make out their muscle definition somehow, even though they stick out so far.

My guess has always been that it is genetic, some fat is "under" the muscle, but after reading this thread, I'd guess that intra-muscular fat is a good term. I'm glad I'm not one of the 'hard fat' ones though, if the cardiovascular health thing is true.

finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) finOx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Gloggy View Post

Wow, I'm happy this thread got bumped. I've always wondered to myself as I continue to lose fat why I notice the soft spots when I never did before the diet. Makes perfect sense! thank you

kikinz24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kikinz24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kikinz24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kikinz24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kikinz24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kikinz24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kikinz24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kikinz24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kikinz24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kikinz24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kikinz24 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good info here cuz I always wondered. My fat is all squishy n soft n my friend has a huge gut that's as hard as a damn rock. My guess has always been genetic. But if its true bout the heart problems I'm glad I'm squishy!
    You start with an intention, but you must constantly remind yourself to keep applying enough focus to achieve that outcome. Follow through. When you've given enough attention to the matter, you"ll have the result...

Feb1 to may1 challenge
    2-1, 166.6
    2-8
    2-15
    2-22
    2-29
    Month Total:

3-1
    3-8
    3-15
    3-22
    3-29
    Month Total:

4-5
    4-12
    4-19
    4-26
    Month Total:

Final Weigh in:
    5-3

95whtgst is on a distinguished road. (+10) 95whtgst is on a distinguished road. (+10) 95whtgst is on a distinguished road. (+10) 95whtgst is on a distinguished road. (+10) 95whtgst is on a distinguished road. (+10) 95whtgst is on a distinguished road. (+10) 95whtgst is on a distinguished road. (+10) 95whtgst is on a distinguished road. (+10) 95whtgst is on a distinguished road. (+10) 95whtgst is on a distinguished road. (+10) 95whtgst is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by finOx View Post
    Wow, I'm happy this thread got bumped. I've always wondered to myself as I continue to lose fat why I notice the soft spots when I never did before the diet. Makes perfect sense! thank you
    Yeah, i'm quite happy this thread got bumped - the fat in my chest is starting to soften up a bit. I honestly thought it was something I just didn't notice before. It also sheds some light as to why some of my belly fat is relatively hard while the fat on my lats/arms is much softer.

On a side note - does this perhaps mean if there was some way to restore blood flow to the "hard areas" ie, massage, you could sort of shift fat loss to that general area? I realize this sounds dangerously like spot reduction...
    H: 5'6" W: 176

Goal: 170
    Program: 5/3/1
    Diet: cutting

Squat - 1 x 363 @ 186lbs
    Dead - 1 x 405 @ 173lbs
    Bench - 1 x 225 @ 173lbs
    Press - 1 x 160 @ 173lbs
    USAPL (9/11) - 363/225/363/951 @ 186lbs

ChrisWorrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWorrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWorrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWorrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWorrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWorrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWorrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWorrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWorrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWorrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisWorrell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    people are missing the most important question in this

why was he "grabbing" his friends belly?

Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pump_30 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    fat jiggles.....muscle does not....

Originally Posted by EnergyGate View Post

The fat on my abs are soft and jiggly...anybody know how different losing this fat is to losing hard fat?

Fit_4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fit_4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fit_4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fit_4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fit_4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fit_4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fit_4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fit_4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fit_4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fit_4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fit_4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    the softer and more stretchy it is the less dense it is.. less fat cells... its basically easier to burn so keep burning that fat!!!!

Originally Posted by EnergyGate View Post

cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i have no idea what this thread is about

fat is fat. burn it. kill it with fire.
    Vegan

"there are ZERO conclusive and definitive peer-reviewed studies proving detrimental effects of phytoestrogens in dietary soy intake"

spedfrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spedfrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spedfrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spedfrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spedfrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spedfrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spedfrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spedfrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spedfrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I will add that I have been doing weights for 6 months but started running a few weeks ago and have noticed the fat on my stomach has become much more loose or softer. Glad to hear that is a sign of progress. MOTIVATION!

Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It comes from how much your fat vacuoles are filled

squishy = more intra & extracellular water, hard = less intra & extracellular water

You'll get squishy when you start to break down fat as h2o is a byproduct of metabolism, which is why bodybuilders take diuretics before a comp.

freedevil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freedevil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freedevil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freedevil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freedevil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freedevil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freedevil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freedevil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freedevil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freedevil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freedevil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What about marbles of hard fat surrounded by jiggly, soft, squishy fat? I've got those
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01/01/2009 - 196.4
    01/01/2010 - 166
    01/26/2010 - 169.4
    03/31/2010 - 158
    05/25/2010 - 156.4
    06/23/2010 - 158.8

Total - 40 lbs
    Goal - 150 lbs
    ------------------------------------------------------------

**Traditional Wet Shaving Crew**