Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Allergic to Whey Protein?

I think I am allergic to whey protein. I started taking it over Christmas and got a bad case of tonsillitis. I got that cured, then got back on the protein. Within 3 days I got an abcessed tonsil which caused me to have to have that tonsil removed. I am now back on it and within a day I have that good old fashioned itchy feeling in my throat. Have there been studies that show that some people are allergic? I refuse to take it anymore. Is there another source of protein supplement I may be able to take?

Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    bump... anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have never heard of a connection between whey and tonsils. The most common allergy people encounter with whey protein is stomach upset. It is usually only a problem with the "cheaper" proteins. You might consider trying a whey protein isolate. Two I typically recommend these days are Syntrax Nectar and Bioplex Pure WPI.

Regarding your tonsils, your immune system may be weakened. You might want to see a doctor. (I am serious.) L-Glutamine will help your immune system, although when you take it only a small percentage makes it into your system. (People say it is not that effective for this reason, but I do believe it works.) Good luck.
    Always learning.

I have seen a doctor. I spent a few days in the hospital after having the tonsil removed. What do you mean it may be weakened? It only happens when I take the Protein. To me that aims towards the whey protein being the cause, not the immune system.
    Last edited by Brego; 02-10-2004 at 11:19 AM.

Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What brand?

-Bill
    Start weight 337 pounds
    Current weight 262 pounds
    Goal Weight 185 pounds
    Down 75 pounds, 77 more to go!!!

"Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he will have to touch to be sure."

I am using GNC 100% Whey Protein.

Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I read a couple weeks ago whey made a guy sick. Are you lactose intollerant?

Try a better brand then GNC, Isopure, ON, Pro Rated.

-Bill
    Start weight 337 pounds
    Current weight 262 pounds
    Goal Weight 185 pounds
    Down 75 pounds, 77 more to go!!!

"Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he will have to touch to be sure."

Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by Brego
    I have seen a doctor. I spent a few days in the hospital after having the tonsil removed. What do you mean it may be weakened? It only happens when I take the Protein. To me that aims towards the whey protein being the cause, not the immune system.
    By weakened, I mean that you do not have the same resistance as "normal" people do. That does not mean that you cannot recover. It merely means that for this time you are more susceptible to infection than others are.

Since you had your tonsils removed, I would expect your resistance to be down. That is, your body uses your tonsils as part of its "defenses." When the tonsils cannot cope, they become infected and have to be removed.

One thing you did not mention is how long you have been bodybuilding. If you started within the last few months, I would expect your ability to recover would be lower since your body is being exposed to a greater task of recovering than it is used to. This is not meant as a criticism, but is merely an observation.

Once your system fully recovers from the tonsillectomy (and the bodybuilding if you are new), your immune system should be back to full strength.

Let me add that I cannot say for sure that it is not the protein, but I have never heard of anyone getting a cold, the flu, a sore throat, or any other bacteriological/viral problem from consuming whey protein.
    Always learning.

I have been lifting for years now. I had to take 3 weeks off thought. Yesterday was my first day back. I can drink milk and other products just fine. While in the hospital, the blood tests would reveal anything that may weaken my immune system correct? I hope I'm not dying or something, heh......

exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000)
    it's possible, I have seen strange things coming from food allergies.

Originally posted by Brego
    I have been lifting for years now. I had to take 3 weeks off thought. Yesterday was my first day back. I can drink milk and other products just fine. While in the hospital, the blood tests would reveal anything that may weaken my immune system correct? I hope I'm not dying or something, heh......
    You got tonsillitis, got a tonsillectomy, and now you are recovering. I do not find it hard to believe that you would have problems with your throat for a month or two--including discovering a variety of things that will hurt your throat during your recovery. Good luck in any case.
    Always learning.

Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Z3R0-CooL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    u sure u dont have a cold?? make sure u dont have phenyloketonuria although it rare u might want to look into it...

Patrick Arnold said something to me a while back and i quote
    "if you are prone to allergies from certain protein species (like the beta-lactoglobulin in whey) then I am not sure but LPC may exacerbate this."

Originally posted by Z3R0-CooL
    u sure u dont have a cold?? make sure u dont have phenyloketonuria although it rare u might want to look into it...
    I am pretty sure I do not have phenyloketonuria as I am not mentally retarded or have any metabolism problems. Nobody in my family does either.... I seriously think it is a food alergy to somethign in whey protein.

AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I breakout on whey. So I guess my skin is allergic to it.
    Relax & Sleep is a plant-based liquid sleep aid that I have helped develop using my 30 years of experiencing different levels of sleeplessness. Proper sleep is critical to our overall health in numerous ways including immunity support, recovery, rejuvenation, and energy level. If you have trouble sleeping please PM me and I will do my best to help your situation.

bump- any other thoughts?

AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    other thougths would be to go to healthboards.com

Its a free site, they dont sell anything, and have a HUGE category on just about every health related issue. You could probably just type "whey" into the search field and come up with a ton of info.
    Relax & Sleep is a plant-based liquid sleep aid that I have helped develop using my 30 years of experiencing different levels of sleeplessness. Proper sleep is critical to our overall health in numerous ways including immunity support, recovery, rejuvenation, and energy level. If you have trouble sleeping please PM me and I will do my best to help your situation.