dragme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

whey protein good for beginer?

Hey guys,
    this has been bugging me for a while now. To start with i'm cutting so i have a six pack before i start bulking. Only got to lose about another 2 kgs (already lost 5kgs) and went out and bought some protein powder. I havn't started using it yet as i am cutting but once i start bulking i will. I bought it from the health shop but it isn't whey protein. The lady their who had competed around the world in fitness competitions told me not to use whey protein until i was bigger and wanted to go to the next step from their. Instead she reconmended a product called MASSIVE WEIGHT GAINER which i eneded up buying. Now everyone goes on here about whey protein. Did this lady know what she was talkign about or? By the way the one i bought was cheaper than whey protein so she wasn't ther trying to get me to spend extra money.

thanks

mrvaa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    damn, you got jipped by some dumbass sales person. you are cutting and you bought a weight gainer? weight gainers are good for one thing, getting fat. i hope you didnt open it up. go return it and ask for whey protein, its the one supplement that everyone on this board would take if they could only take one, its that important.

Originally posted by mrvaa
    damn, you got jipped by some dumbass sales person. you are cutting and you bought a weight gainer? weight gainers are good for one thing, getting fat. i hope you didnt open it up. go return it and ask for whey protein, its the one supplement that everyone on this board would take if they could only take one, its that important.
    No no, You missed my point. I said i was cutting and havn't started taking it yet but once i cut enough i was thinking of taking it to bulk. Surely for bulking it wouldn't be bad?? It has 300 cal per seving, 17.6g of protein, 41.9g of carbs. DOsn't sound healthy to me, so i might return it just looking for feedback.

Thanks

mrvaa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    oh well then, thats a little different. I still think a good whey protein is better than any weight gainer. and 40 carbs in one serving? thats not good at all.

bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Lightbulb weight gainer

most of the weight gainers are protien powder mixed with a ton of sugar.. see how much of the carbs on the label are sugars probably 41.9 grams carbs 39of those grams from sugar. also you say the weight gainer was cheeper, did you check how many servings you would get from the protein as opposed to the weight gainer cause the weight gainer is probably like 2 to 3 scoops compared to one scoop from the whey protien. also just cause the weight gainer was cheaper dosn't mean anything cause the profit margin might be alot higher on the weight gainer. stick to the whey protien don't let any idiots at the store try to sell you anything different..

Yeh thats what i thought about the carbs. I'm going more on looking fitter than huger ie 6 pack which i'm pretty close to now, slightly bigger arms problery ahnother inch bigger than they are at the moment (their 13" at the moment).

While i got a thread here one more thing. Genetically i have a resonably moderately sized chest area. Before cutting i was quite embarresed of it but now due to exercise every day i have lost a lot of flab around that area. Anyway after weights their looking better but still stick out a bit compared to my stomach which after losing weight my stomach dosn't stick out no where near the ammount as my chest. I still have 2 kgs to lose do you think my chest will get a bit smaller after i lose that weight or not? My stomach is 30" it used to be 32" and my chest is close to 34". Sorry about asking another question off topic but i didn't want to have to start another thread.

Thanks

Re: weight gainer

Originally posted by bubba g
    most of the weight gainers are protien powder mixed with a ton of sugar.. see how much of the carbs on the label are sugars probably 41.9 grams carbs 39of those grams from sugar. also you say the weight gainer was cheeper, did you check how many servings you would get from the protein as opposed to the weight gainer cause the weight gainer is probably like 2 to 3 scoops compared to one scoop from the whey protien. also just cause the weight gainer was cheaper dosn't mean anything cause the profit margin might be alot higher on the weight gainer. stick to the whey protien don't let any idiots at the store try to sell you anything different..
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not going to take weight gainer it only cost $20 so its no big loss.

Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Whey protein is good for everybody, it doens't matter if they workout or are elite athletes. Whey Protein will benefit anyone.

bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Post weight gainer

Originally posted by dragme
    Yeh thats what i thought about the carbs. I'm going more on looking fitter than huger ie 6 pack which i'm pretty close to now, slightly bigger arms problery ahnother inch bigger than they are at the moment (their 13" at the moment).

While i got a thread here one more thing. Genetically i have a resonably moderately sized chest area. Before cutting i was quite embarresed of it but now due to exercise every day i have lost a lot of flab around that area. Anyway after weights their looking better but still stick out a bit compared to my stomach which after losing weight my stomach dosn't stick out no where near the ammount as my chest. I still have 2 kgs to lose do you think my chest will get a bit smaller after i lose that weight or not? My stomach is 30" it used to be 32" and my chest is close to 34". Sorry about asking another question off topic but i didn't want to have to start another thread.

Thanks
    ok I am gonna have to say as far as the chest thing goes if your stomach is 30" and you are lean enough to almost see six pack and your chest is close to 34 then I don't believe your chest is too big or sticks out to far, infact even without seeing a pic of you I would recomend you do some heavy chest excersises to build it up a little and bent over rows might not be a bad idea either to get a little V taper thing going on, you know what i mean well good luck. oh yeah and by the way whey protein is awsome for post workout and all but nothing beats good clean foods for protein like chicken, steak, tunafish, egg whites.

what about turkey??

Thanks a lot for the advice

HereComesDaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: weight gainer

Disagree, combined with skim milk the whey will be richer in protein than any of those above, and low fat too! i am a vego and get no meat or seafood protein whatsoever but it doesnt stop me
    And to answer the original question, its recommended to even take protein if u dont even work out. Its good for you. Bulking or cutting.

Originally posted by bubba g
    ok I am gonna have to say as far as the chest thing goes if your stomach is 30" and you are lean enough to almost see six pack and your chest is close to 34 then I don't believe your chest is too big or sticks out to far, infact even without seeing a pic of you I would recomend you do some heavy chest excersises to build it up a little and bent over rows might not be a bad idea either to get a little V taper thing going on, you know what i mean well good luck. oh yeah and by the way whey protein is awsome for post workout and all but nothing beats good clean foods for protein like chicken, steak, tunafish, egg whites.
    It takes a big man to use roids
    It takes a bigger man not to use them

Post whey protien

dragme turkey is also very good, and HereComesDaPain you can disagree that is your right but you are wrong! anyone will tell you that there is nothing better then real foods for protien, whey is great for post workout because it is absorbed so fast infact probably too fast for regular meal replacement unless you want to have a protien drink every two hours. I think casien protien is a better choice for a non post workout protien, because it is absorbed slower and you are less apt to be in a negative nitrogen balance. also HereComesDaPain I am curious as to why you chose to give up eating meat after all we as humans are omnivores. not puting you down just curious

HereComesDaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i believe we are herbivores, as is proven with our teeth being flat and nails.
    I also think the meat of today is too dirty to be eaten, look at the current chicken disease infesting asia.
    Last edited by HereComesDaPain; 02-10-2004 at 11:16 PM.
    It takes a big man to use roids
    It takes a bigger man not to use them