ckboxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Need help with chronic pain in brachialis (lower bicep near joint opposite elbow)

I have had this injury for at least 5 months. Taking 10 days off during Christmas obviously didn't heal it, though it made it less painful for a few weeks. It seems to be getting worse each week during the past two months. The injury is in my lower bicep muscle opposite the elbow (basically the area near the vein where one would stick a needle when they are giving blood but about an inch towards the bicep).

It does not hurt on bench (barbell or dumbells), rows (seated and bent over), and back but does during bicep curls (most painful), skull crunches, and what ever that exercise is called when you are working deltoids (weight from hips to extended in front of you, second most painful). The first sets are the worse (extremely painful) with an eventually numbing of the pain with successive sets. Flexing my biceps is just pure pain. Picking up just 5-10 lbs is also painful.

Taking time off from the gym is not an option so lets please eliminate that as an option. My stomach doesn't do too good with naproxen or ibuprofin for more than a day so anti-inflammatories are most likely out. Basically I want to know if this can be treated with a shot? I don't mind going to a doctor, but I don't want to go through a battery of tests to be told that I should take time off from the gym or do some stupid exercises which have never worked for any injury I have ever had. Also, if a shot doesn't sound possible, can I reduce my weight and do more sets? Currently I do 3x8 with 50 or 55 lb (just 6-7 reps with this weight) dumbells in each hand. Can I drop to 30 lbs each, which would still be painful, but obviously less, and just lift to failure with the eventual result that the injury will eventually get better?

I am basically interested in the opinions of those who have dealt with this. Ultimately I want to know if this can be healed with a steroid shot or be reduction in weight??? THanks!

ckboxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Still looking for advice on this with anyone who has suffered this.

WSsucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSsucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSsucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSsucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSsucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSsucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSsucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSsucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSsucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSsucks is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSsucks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i currently have a grade 2 brachialis tear. I'm done lifting for a while until it heals. The dr is having me do some stretching and empty curls for now.

AJCUDA02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AJCUDA02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AJCUDA02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AJCUDA02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AJCUDA02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AJCUDA02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AJCUDA02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AJCUDA02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AJCUDA02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AJCUDA02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AJCUDA02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It sounds like you may have pulled or strained your bicep tendon. I had pain in the same area you are referring to because I used to do a lot of bicep concentration curls (preacher curls barbell and dumbell). Even pullups and bent over rows hurt like hell (palms facing down). It took months for it to go away. But come on, who really wants to lay off the weights for months? I say lay off the concentration exercises if your doing those or just drop the weight to a painless level. Go see the Dr. too. The Dr. should always be your frist step.

darrenjensen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

injury recovery and prevention

Ive had pain in the brachialis in the past also, what has worked for me was drinking alot of water throughout the day(staying hydrated) / (for curls) dumbells only(one at a time, so that the pressure is off each tendon between each rep rather than constant flex) /warming up very light 25-30 reps , gradually(5 lbs at a time) increasing the weight for each set and staying in the 10 or more rep range. I know you dont want to hear it but if the pain is bad enough you might want to lay off the lifts that hurt and focus on your other muscles for a few weeks(that way your not givin up) but when you start again dont go right to heavy , thats what Im tryin right now with some shoulder pain, ive been just doin back/bis/tris/legs and no chest and shoulders. anyway not sure if the water thing will help ya , but it worked for me. Oh ps(for the brachialis) i was also trying to avoid things like holding weight with my arm in a fixed position ( like carrying boxes, holding a baby ect.) and i think playing ps3 and guitar agravated it also

Registered Camel Eater low blow's Avatar
    low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000)
    have you got any tests yet? ultrasound/MRI?

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Put your arm into flexion (passive.. no contraction) so you'll probably have to lie down and make it limp.. and really massage the heck out of your brachialis as well as biceps.

That should help significantly. Do it at least 2-3 times a day if not more.