Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Question Help for pullups, army

Ok, to get the maximum 3 points for pullups in the army, one has to do 14 pullups. Currently I'm able to do 12. I still have about 5 months time to increase my pullups from 12 to 14, I'm going in on July 12th.

I have been able to do 12 pullups for a very very long time now, without getting better at all. My weight has gone up a few pounds so maybe that's why. But losing weight is not an option for me, I'll be losing plenty of that in the army.

So any tips on how to get the missing 2 pullups before July??

Thanks
    Th - And the iron rises...

Biggie V will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biggie V will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biggie V will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biggie V will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biggie V will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biggie V will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biggie V will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biggie V will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biggie V will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biggie V will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biggie V will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    simply train...do some pullups every day...thats how i got my pullups from 2-8 in 3 months =)
    If violence didnt solve anything there would be no wars.

Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So doing pullups every day wouldn't be considered "overtraining"?

Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by Thomas
    So doing pullups every day wouldn't be considered "overtraining"?
    Yes it would. You should be doing a routine for your back once a week including doing weighted pullups on that day.

And would that be all it takes?

Do you mean wide grip or regular pullups?

USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) USMuscle9403 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yip, just strengthen your lats and practice going all out on pulll-ups on back day. The only way to do more pull-ups is to do more pull-ups.
    Allen

8 pak man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 8 pak man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 8 pak man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 8 pak man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 8 pak man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 8 pak man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 8 pak man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 8 pak man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 8 pak man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 8 pak man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 8 pak man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i dont know somehow i can do 30 easy .....i would say just try to add a little more upper body strength
    shyler

"If your not gaining weight EAT MORE"

Originally posted by USMuscle9403
    Yip, just strengthen your lats and practice going all out on pulll-ups on back day. The only way to do more pull-ups is to do more pull-ups.
    Allen
    Ok, sounds like good advice, I'll try doing that. Thanks!

Originally posted by 8 pak man
    i dont know somehow i can do 30 easy .....i would say just try to add a little more upper body strength
    Yeah I'm constantly trying Thanks

marek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the key...hold for 6 seconds at the top! lower slowly !! Also do with arms spread wider than shoulders...this will build strength in your back too. or so i am told. you cheat yourself if you do not pause at the top!!

i can only do about 10 clean pull ups myself. 147 lbs
    marek
    ~~~~~
    "drink and breathe often"

Originally posted by marek
    the key...hold for 6 seconds at the top! lower slowly !! Also do with arms spread wider than shoulders...this will build strength in your back too. or so i am told. you cheat yourself if you do not pause at the top!!

i can only do about 10 clean pull ups myself. 147 lbs
    185lbs here but I never hold at the top, and I never lower slowly either.. I'm gonna try it next time though! Sounds like a good plan. Do you mean with your arms wider and reverse or normal grip? (Reverse grip=your fingers facing you.)

Do you think if I do those "no-cheat" tricks of yours the amount of my cheat-pullups will increase? Cause in the army I can do cheat pullups.

frankieny1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the marine record is 76

u think he was a pu ssy and thought he was overtrainin by doing them every day i dont think so get ur ass on the bar private and pull

LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LakeMountD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would do pullups about 3 times per week.. www.crossfit.com has an OUTSTANDING military type workout plan and if you are serious about getting fit i suggest you check it out and at least try it..

i am currently in training for military spec ops so i can assure you that i need all the help i can get and crossfit is for sure the best thing ive found out there.

marek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    185lbs here but I never hold at the top, and I never lower slowly either.. I'm gonna try it next time though! Sounds like a good plan. Do you mean with your arms wider and reverse or normal grip? (Reverse grip=your fingers facing you.)

Do you think if I do those "no-cheat" tricks of yours the amount of my cheat-pullups will increase? Cause in the army I can do cheat pullups.
    i am doing mine palms/fingers facing out & arms wider apart.
    and it should help your cheat versions most definately.
    hold & go slow is the key while training!
    marek
    ~~~~~
    "drink and breathe often"

Originally posted by frankieny1
    the marine record is 76

u think he was a pu ssy and thought he was overtrainin by doing them every day i dont think so get ur ass on the bar private and pull
    Yes sir!

Originally posted by LakeMountD

I would do pullups about 3 times per week.. www.crossfit.com has an OUTSTANDING military type workout plan and if you are serious about getting fit i suggest you check it out and at least try it..

i am currently in training for military spec ops so i can assure you that i need all the help i can get and crossfit is for sure the best thing ive found out there.
    Yeah I'm serious about getting in shape, cardiovascular shape is even more important. That's my main flaw right now as I think my upper body is in ok shape muscle-wise.

I'll be sure to check out that programme, thanks!

Originally posted by marek

i am doing mine palms/fingers facing out & arms wider apart.
    and it should help your cheat versions most definately.
    hold & go slow is the key while training!
    Allright, I'll try it out, let's hope that helps, thanks!

XtotheZ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XtotheZ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    In my routine I do 6 slow pullups for 3 sets.

ALthough I could probably do about 10 maybe 12 if I wanted too. I'll try next time I am at gym.

bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000) bucsfan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thomas you might want to try doing weighted pullups. Do those for a while then go back to normal might get ya the extra 2 reps.
    Just live your life with God inside. You wont regret one moment of it. Give all that you have for God.

madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i used to do 20 chin ups and 20 pull ups a day but some days i would do 50 of each. if you just do them regularly you will be able to do 14 and in not too long after well more than 14 (assuming u dont put on loads of weight). my record for chin ups was 42, not sure about pull ups c.35 but i remember when i first got my bar i could only do 2 or something.
    Squat: 264 lbs

*ShaGGs* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *ShaGGs* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *ShaGGs* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *ShaGGs* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *ShaGGs* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *ShaGGs* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *ShaGGs* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *ShaGGs* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *ShaGGs* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *ShaGGs* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *ShaGGs* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Re: Help for pullups, army

Ok, to get the maximum 3 points for pullups in the army, one has to do 14 pullups. Currently I'm able to do 12. I still have about 5 months time to increase my pullups from 12 to 14, I'm going in on July 12th.

I have been able to do 12 pullups for a very very long time now, without getting better at all. My weight has gone up a few pounds so maybe that's why. But losing weight is not an option for me, I'll be losing plenty of that in the army.

Thanks
    i do pullups about once every 2 months lol, and i going to go into the army also. Except i can do 24pullups, if you really wanted to do 14 you could push yourself to do an extra 2, when you've done 12, think to yourself if you dont do the extra 2 you wont make it into the military.

R_N_S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R_N_S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R_N_S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R_N_S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R_N_S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R_N_S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R_N_S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R_N_S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R_N_S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R_N_S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R_N_S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    have another person hold your feet so you can pump out a few more, or put a bench under the bar and when you get to the point where you cant do anymore cheat on it, use as little help as possible and focus on using your arms and back, but that way you can do sets of 15 or so, in no time you'll be poppin off 14 by yourself

JuviJuice8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JuviJuice8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JuviJuice8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JuviJuice8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JuviJuice8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JuviJuice8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JuviJuice8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JuviJuice8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JuviJuice8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JuviJuice8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JuviJuice8 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    also try working on your grip strength....sometimes a weak grip will cause your hands to fail before your back does, shortchanging your workout...

The University of Michigan strength and conditioning coach, Mike Gittleson, is crazy about grip work and his guys are beasts.

his philosophy is something like this : "If the men can have strong grips, then they can do many pullups.... if they can do many pullups, then they can be strong for their seated row... if their seated row is strong than it will help in their bench press... if their bench press is strong, they can knock the **** out of their opponents... So you see, it all goes back to their grip work!"
    An athlete has to go through hell to get to heaven~Vince Lomardi

Current Weight: 225
    Chest: 47 inches
    Waist: 37 Inches
    Neck: 17 inches
    Arms: 16.5 inches

Goals:
    Weight: 185 pounds
    Waist:32 inches
    Chest: 48 inches
    Body Fat: 12%

USMC infantry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    dont want to sound like a dick dude...but you don't do pullups in the army bro.....there is no pullup qualification you have to meet, and you dont do them in bootcamp for you PFT tests or anything.....i have no idea what you're talking about, but anyways..dont do pullups everyday, focus them on you back days....when i first joined marines i was doin 12 pullups at 170lbs now i do 24-25 at roughly 195lbs, focus on those lats

flamingdragon is a complete loser! (-2000) flamingdragon is a complete loser! (-2000) flamingdragon is a complete loser! (-2000) flamingdragon is a complete loser! (-2000) flamingdragon is a complete loser! (-2000) flamingdragon is a complete loser! (-2000) flamingdragon is a complete loser! (-2000) flamingdragon is a complete loser! (-2000) flamingdragon is a complete loser! (-2000) flamingdragon is a complete loser! (-2000) flamingdragon is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally posted by USMuscle9403
    The only way to do more pull-ups is to do more pull-ups.
    Allen
    bump. sounds weird when you say it, but i know exactly what you mean.

marines have the pull ups requirement and the seals
    do pul ups get wide

DumbellAndy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Help for pullups, army

Thanks
    What i do in my back workouts is have a set amount of pull ups i have to do i.e 40 or 50,then do as many sets as i have to too get that amount,thats what arnie did,soon the amount you can do in one set will increse.And im sure that in 5 months you will get that 2 no problem dont worry son.You gonna carry on bodybuilding in army?
    Workout at home:

5"9 165 1bs
    Squat 350
    Bench 250
    Deadlift 330

yes good advice
    HOO YA

Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Matt5387 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    marines come to my school like once a month witha pull up bar. yea the marine last time said that the record is 76, thats crazy. im happy that i could do more than the marines that were there though. you get like hats and lanyards if you do so many. my goal is 20 next time they come. i can only do 18 but i always do them after an intense workout. so maybe next time they come, i wont workout but i cant get myself to do that.
    Teen Body Builder of the Week #96
    www.WhatsUpWithIt.com

USMC infantry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yes good advice
    HOO YA
    what the hell is HOO YA? i hope it's not an attempt at what i thought it was........ARMY DOESNT DO PULLUPS QUIT WORRYING ABOUT THEM AND ASKING GOD DAMNIT THE ARMY IS A BUNCH OF FAT LAZY ASSES

Originally posted by XtotheZ
    In my routine I do 6 slow pullups for 3 sets.

ALthough I could probably do about 10 maybe 12 if I wanted too. I'll try next time I am at gym.
    Yeah I'll try slow pullups next time, maybe my "fast" pullups will benefit from it.

Originally posted by bucsfan
    Thomas you might want to try doing weighted pullups. Do those for a while then go back to normal might get ya the extra 2 reps.
    I'm gonna try that too. How long do you think it would take to get the extra 2?

Originally posted by madnerb
    i used to do 20 chin ups and 20 pull ups a day but some days i would do 50 of each. if you just do them regularly you will be able to do 14 and in not too long after well more than 14 (assuming u dont put on loads of weight). my record for chin ups was 42, not sure about pull ups c.35 but i remember when i first got my bar i could only do 2 or something.
    I could only do 0 when I got my bar

Originally posted by *ShaGGs*
    i do pullups about once every 2 months lol, and i going to go into the army also. Except i can do 24pullups, if you really wanted to do 14 you could push yourself to do an extra 2, when you've done 12, think to yourself if you dont do the extra 2 you wont make it into the military.
    You're probably right, especially as there is no time limit whatsoever. I'm gonna try doing it to he bitter end some time when I feel good..

Originally posted by rippednshredded
    have another person hold your feet so you can pump out a few more, or put a bench under the bar and when you get to the point where you cant do anymore cheat on it, use as little help as possible and focus on using your arms and back, but that way you can do sets of 15 or so, in no time you'll be poppin off 14 by yourself
    I've actually done that a few times, but not often, better try that one too. It could work!

Originally posted by JuviJuice8
    also try working on your grip strength....sometimes a weak grip will cause your hands to fail before your back does, shortchanging your workout...

The University of Michigan strength and conditioning coach, Mike Gittleson, is crazy about grip work and his guys are beasts.

his philosophy is something like this : "If the men can have strong grips, then they can do many pullups.... if they can do many pullups, then they can be strong for their seated row... if their seated row is strong than it will help in their bench press... if their bench press is strong, they can knock the **** out of their opponents... So you see, it all goes back to their grip work!"
    That's an interesting theroy I might want to work on my grip strength indeed. As there is no time limit I could just hang on and let my back/biceps/etc recover.

Originally posted by USMC infantry
    dont want to sound like a dick dude...but you don't do pullups in the army bro.....there is no pullup qualification you have to meet, and you dont do them in bootcamp for you PFT tests or anything.....i have no idea what you're talking about, but anyways..dont do pullups everyday, focus them on you back days....when i first joined marines i was doin 12 pullups at 170lbs now i do 24-25 at roughly 195lbs, focus on those lats
    Ok, and what about chinups? Should I do them with my biceps routine?

Originally posted by flamingdragon
    bump. sounds weird when you say it, but i know exactly what you mean.
    Yeah me too, but it just hasn't helped me past this 12 barrier.

marines have the pull ups requirement and the seals
    do pul ups get wide
    Wide indeed!

Originally posted by DumbellAndy
    What i do in my back workouts is have a set amount of pull ups i have to do i.e 40 or 50,then do as many sets as i have to too get that amount,thats what arnie did,soon the amount you can do in one set will increse.And im sure that in 5 months you will get that 2 no problem dont worry son.You gonna carry on bodybuilding in army?
    Yeah that's sounds good, yet another thing to try! Do you do the same with chinups if you use them in your biceps routine?

I'm gonna try carry on bodybuilding, as much as I am able to hit the weights I will. The lack of food worries me the most..

yes good advice
    HOO YA
    HOO YA!! heh

Originally posted by Matt5387
    marines come to my school like once a month witha pull up bar. yea the marine last time said that the record is 76, thats crazy. im happy that i could do more than the marines that were there though. you get like hats and lanyards if you do so many. my goal is 20 next time they come. i can only do 18 but i always do them after an intense workout. so maybe next time they come, i wont workout but i cant get myself to do that.
    76 is crazy indeed! 18 is not too shabby either.

Originally posted by USMC infantry
    what the hell is HOO YA? i hope it's not an attempt at what i thought it was........ARMY DOESNT DO PULLUPS QUIT WORRYING ABOUT THEM AND ASKING GOD DAMNIT THE ARMY IS A BUNCH OF FAT LAZY ASSES
    Gotta worry, gotta... get... 14...

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Alternate weighted pullups with regular pullups for reps ( try to 14 )
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

Mase_00_7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

what is the difference between pull-ups and chin-ups???
    6' , 17 years old and too fat!

Started Cutting: 1st February @90kg (@ 2.2lb's/kg)
    19th February: 86kg
    1st March: 80.5kg
    ....1st April: 75kg

Hey!! Bring Back My Six-Pack!!!!!!