jjjw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjjw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjjw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjjw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjjw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjjw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jjjw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lower back pain when arching/ bending backwards

Ok, I'll try to keep this brief, my story.

Basically squatting 170kg. Unaware to me the surface I was suqatting on (the mat) was not a stable surface. It slipped underneath me as I pushed up meaning as I pushed up i pushed away from the bar and it fell off my back. Luckily I used to OL weightlift back in the day so knew the best thing to do in the situation was to move my weight forward and away from the bar, letting it drop. Even then, the surprise of it all meant my spine arched slightly and took the full 170kg (about 380lbs) for a split second. I felt a mild shooting pain and immediately collapsed to the floor, assuming the worst. To my surprise, I could move and then pain was not severe and surprisingly mild. Anyway, that was Monday and on Monday I felt pretty stiff and in some mild pain. The paint itself was not enough to warrant a doctors appointment but the nature of the accident made me think I should go. Anyway, the doc said if I'm in no major pain and can bend forward with ease I should be ok, just rest up a few days, but here's my problem.

I told the doc the pain only really kicks in if I bend backwards. As soon as I go beyond my natural arch it feels bad on my lower joint, as if a joint or something is retracting or something is slipping/ becoming unstable. All the doctor seemed interesting in is tell me its not serious as I can be forward but what about backwards dammit! Anyway, I cannot see another doctor for two weeks as my hometown clinics are fully booked and I don't go back to college for 2 weeks.

Basically, I have poor flexibility leaning back and cannot lean back much at all. Imagine the lockout of a deadlift, basically I wouldn't dream of hyper extending beyond a neutral lockout at this point as it would probably kill me. My back hurts and feels if something is slipping/ retracting if I hyperextend even slightly. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this or knows anything which might help till I can get to my regular doc. I planned on taking two weeks off from the 15th September but now I'm taking this week off, with the aim of lifting very,very light next week then taking one week off from the 15th in case this injury is serious. Always taken the view you only get one back, treat it well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

shar431 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I'm in the same boat buddy!

So I have the same problem bending backwards but once I stretch my lower back, the pain decreases a lot. After my body cools down the pain is back. I'll be going to an Orthopedic next week but I still would like to know what did you end up finding or how did you get back on track(I'm assuming you did ).

Thanks in advance!

bbufflikebroly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bbufflikebroly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bbufflikebroly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bbufflikebroly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bbufflikebroly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bbufflikebroly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bbufflikebroly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bbufflikebroly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bbufflikebroly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bbufflikebroly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bbufflikebroly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jjjw View Post
    Ok, I'll try to keep this brief, my story.

Basically squatting 170kg. Unaware to me the surface I was suqatting on (the mat) was not a stable surface. It slipped underneath me as I pushed up meaning as I pushed up i pushed away from the bar and it fell off my back. Luckily I used to OL weightlift back in the day so knew the best thing to do in the situation was to move my weight forward and away from the bar, letting it drop. Even then, the surprise of it all meant my spine arched slightly and took the full 170kg (about 380lbs) for a split second. I felt a mild shooting pain and immediately collapsed to the floor, assuming the worst. To my surprise, I could move and then pain was not severe and surprisingly mild. Anyway, that was Monday and on Monday I felt pretty stiff and in some mild pain. The paint itself was not enough to warrant a doctors appointment but the nature of the accident made me think I should go. Anyway, the doc said if I'm in no major pain and can bend forward with ease I should be ok, just rest up a few days, but here's my problem.

I told the doc the pain only really kicks in if I bend backwards. As soon as I go beyond my natural arch it feels bad on my lower joint, as if a joint or something is retracting or something is slipping/ becoming unstable. All the doctor seemed interesting in is tell me its not serious as I can be forward but what about backwards dammit! Anyway, I cannot see another doctor for two weeks as my hometown clinics are fully booked and I don't go back to college for 2 weeks.

Basically, I have poor flexibility leaning back and cannot lean back much at all. Imagine the lockout of a deadlift, basically I wouldn't dream of hyper extending beyond a neutral lockout at this point as it would probably kill me. My back hurts and feels if something is slipping/ retracting if I hyperextend even slightly. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this or knows anything which might help till I can get to my regular doc. I planned on taking two weeks off from the 15th September but now I'm taking this week off, with the aim of lifting very,very light next week then taking one week off from the 15th in case this injury is serious. Always taken the view you only get one back, treat it well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Did you solve your problem? I just experienced a shooting pain while doing romanian deadlifts, and I also cant extend my back much or bend backwards because it hurts. Basically flexion movements of the spine don't hurt but extending movements do hurt. Now I don't know what changes should I do to my routine (I was doing a fullbody HST style routine)