Kyle K. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lower Body Workout??

Hey guys, sorry for the long thread but I need some help!

Alright, I've been working out for around 3 years now. I'm looking for a way to get a good lower body workout without having to do squats. No, I'm not just a lazy bum that doesn't feel like doing them. Actually, in the last game of this past football season I sustained a hairline fracture in the second vertebrae of my neck, and there is also a collection of fluid slightly farther down in my neck. I basically got my neck phucked up bigtime. I couldn't touch weights for nearly 2 months and I'm just getting back into the swing of things lifting wise. Anyway, the doctor has told me NO SQUATS because the weight has to rest around there and the risk of re-injury is just too high.

Anyway, my real quesion is can I build up a really strong lower body on just deadlifts and leg extensions? This is what I've been doing for the past couple weeks and it seems to be doing alright, but I miss squatting... any exercises that are more like squatting that don't put so much pressure on my neck/shoulder area?

Thanks for the help guys! And don't whine about squats... they are the greatest exercise!!

CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    sorry about your accident, dude. I will not whine anymore while doing squats

Try heavy Leg Press, DumbBells Lunges...and what about front squats???

I'm not sure of Front Squats would be safe...I know I used to tense my neck when i was reaching failure reps...
    "Everything would have been geared for making my body able to withstand another small dose of iron on the bar for each exercise every week or two, even if it was just a few ounces. " -Stuart McRobert.

RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: Lower Body Workout??

Originally posted by Kyle K.
    Hey guys, sorry for the long thread but I need some help!

Alright, I've been working out for around 3 years now. I'm looking for a way to get a good lower body workout without having to do squats. No, I'm not just a lazy bum that doesn't feel like doing them. Actually, in the last game of this past football season I sustained a hairline fracture in the second vertebrae of my neck, and there is also a collection of fluid slightly farther down in my neck. I basically got my neck phucked up bigtime. I couldn't touch weights for nearly 2 months and I'm just getting back into the swing of things lifting wise. Anyway, the doctor has told me NO SQUATS because the weight has to rest around there and the risk of re-injury is just too high.

Anyway, my real quesion is can I build up a really strong lower body on just deadlifts and leg extensions? This is what I've been doing for the past couple weeks and it seems to be doing alright, but I miss squatting... any exercises that are more like squatting that don't put so much pressure on my neck/shoulder area?

Thanks for the help guys! And don't whine about squats... they are the greatest exercise!!
    You could try doing squats holding dumbells in your hands or there are some machines (Ground Zero) where you can load up plates onto a machine and then grab the handles and do squats so there isn't any pressure on your neck. Also lunges, leg ext, leg curl, standing calf raises would all be good. Good luck with the injury and make sure to take it slow. I had a neck injury that sidelined me for 5 months from lifting from a car accident so I know how you feel bro. One thing I would HIGHLY recommend is getting "Doctor Riter's Real ease" do a search online I think there is a website or ask your doc about a Neck Ease, it's called that too. It's amazing it takes your neck out of gravity by supporting it. You just lay down in it for like 15 min a day and it works wonders in easing tension in your neck especially. I'm not sure if that search with come up with anything but I have their catalog at work so I'll shoot you a private message in a couple days with either the webpage or the address to send away for it. It's like $35 I think and it's totally worth it. So check your PM in the next couple days for the info.

Hey man, thanks alot... right now I'm icing it pretty much every night that i lift for 20 on 20 off and 20 on. That thing sounds pretty sweet!

RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Still trying to find the magazine haven't forgot about you I would try getting heat on it too. I used to do 20 min ice, 20 min heat. Heat loosens it up. Also a good exercise to stretch neck is lay down on a bench facing it so your chest is on the bench and hang your neck over the side so you are looking at the ground then let your neck relax and hang down, let it sit there for a sec and you'll feel a nice stretch then lift your neck back up to the original position so it would be straight. It's similar to a back extension but you do it for your neck instead of lower back. Hope I explained it good enough, let me know if you don't understand what I was talking about.
    Just found it http://spanda.com/supplies/riter.html
    I'd recommend ordering one, its amazing. Even for people without neck problems it helps any tightness in back and neck and is very relaxing and feels GREAT! I usually don't hype products or anything but this has made a huge difference in my life so I figured it could do the same for others. My buddy got one because he's got a really tight back and he's loving it too.
    Last edited by McBain; 03-29-2002 at 09:00 AM.

Registered User Travis Stenersn's Avatar
    Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don't forget about Old School Hack squats.

They are pretty much a deadlift where the bar is behind your legs, so it works your quads a great deal more than the deadlift does! Also one leg bodyweight squats require no external loading(unless you're really good!).

For a description of the hack squat, lemme know and I'll post a link to an article about em.

You could also try hip belt squats.

Originally posted by Travis Stenersn
    Don't forget about Old School Hack squats.

They are pretty much a deadlift where the bar is behind your legs, so it works your quads a great deal more than the deadlift does! Also one leg bodyweight squats require no external loading(unless you're really good!).

For a description of the hack squat, lemme know and I'll post a link to an article about em.

You could also try hip belt squats.
    Wouldn't that put a tremendous amount of stress on your rotator cuff?

Hey McBain, thanks for all the help... now if I could only leech 40 bucks out of my dad

....and yeah, that sounds like it'd put alot of stress on the rotator cuffs