Vamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question about carbs at night when cutting..

Ok, so I'm cutting, and I'm 190 lbs. So I read somewhere that with that weight, I should be eating 1900 calories per day.

So tonight, I was pretty low going into dinner, at 1200 calories on the day. Then, a neighbor brings over some really good looking pizza and pasta, and I couldn't resist, and I eat about 700 calories of pure carbs (and feel bad about it).

Now, I still stayed at 1900 calories, but I just ate a bunch of carbs at night. I know carbs at night are evil, but is it acceptable if I still stay within my calorie limit?

AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You most likely want to focus on a 40/40/20 split still.

That and if you do cheat, slug down a gallon of water to dillute the carbs.
    Relax & Sleep is a plant-based liquid sleep aid that I have helped develop using my 30 years of experiencing different levels of sleeplessness. Proper sleep is critical to our overall health in numerous ways including immunity support, recovery, rejuvenation, and energy level. If you have trouble sleeping please PM me and I will do my best to help your situation.

XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you dont make it a habit dont worry....
    The 1337 site of the decade http://s7.invisionfree.com/Breaking_The_Pain/index.php?act=idx
    - Got a tattoo question go here---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207339&highlight=XEastCoastHateX
    ***http://s7.invisionfree.com/Breaking_The_Pain/index.php?act=idx***
    -If you post your maxes they are fake and you are full of crap....
    -07-19-2002......In Memory of the Great List......04-29-2004

nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

carbs arent evil

carbs at night is BS. It really is all about your total caloric intake, certain foods are not as thermogenic as others because they dont take as much to break down, but whole grain and low gi carbs with fiber do take some effort to break down. Remember its just about your total caloric intake, the pizza however probably spiked your insulin and then your blood sugar would have gone low and maybe you would feel hungrier in the morning causing you to eat more cals, other than that processed carbs really cant do anything to you, fat turning into carbs is a rare thing, carbs making you hungry\tired due to insulin effects and causing you to eat more is not, not to mention the processed ones have little to no thermogenic effect. As long as you stick with whle grains though carbs are fine anytime because you can then really listen to your body.
    Nathan

AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Re: carbs arent evil

Originally posted by nathan101085
    carbs at night is BS. It really is all about your total caloric intake, certain foods are not as thermogenic as others because they dont take as much to break down, but whole grain and low gi carbs with fiber do take some effort to break down. Remember its just about your total caloric intake, the pizza however probably spiked your insulin and then your blood sugar would have gone low and maybe you would feel hungrier in the morning causing you to eat more cals, other than that processed carbs really cant do anything to you, fat turning into carbs is a rare thing, carbs making you hungry\tired due to insulin effects and causing you to eat more is not, not to mention the processed ones have little to no thermogenic effect. As long as you stick with whle grains though carbs are fine anytime because you can then really listen to your body.
    That is the most nonsense thing you could say. So if I am on a 2000 cal per day diet your saying no matter how I get there is fine? Crisco??
    Relax & Sleep is a plant-based liquid sleep aid that I have helped develop using my 30 years of experiencing different levels of sleeplessness. Proper sleep is critical to our overall health in numerous ways including immunity support, recovery, rejuvenation, and energy level. If you have trouble sleeping please PM me and I will do my best to help your situation.

Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Carbs at night is not BS. The reason you should avoid carbs at night is because it spikes insulin levels and when your body is at rest (sleeping) it is more easily stored as fat. Whereas protein and fat cause little or no insulin spikes.

dilly has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Very stupid thing to say! What you eating during the day and when you eat is more important then calories in vs calories out!
    " Never eat more then you can lift" - Miss piggy
    " If at first you don't succed, find out if the loser gets anything" - Bill Lyon

nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nathan101085 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

rebuttle

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Anyway, as you can see de novio lipogenesis does not account for much of the overall fat gain with carbohydrate overfeeding ect, instead a higher level of glucose oxidation causes dietary fats to just sit there. Regardless it doesnt change the fact that before bed if you are not eating over your daily caloric intake then no there is not more "chance" they will be turned to fat, and as far as the crisco question yes if u burned 2000 calories of energy a day and you ate it in crisco you would not get fat, however i cant suggest this for so many reasons such as the lack of protein\carbs being the foremost, but also vitamins antioxidants fiber omega 3 ect ect. What you eat is more important than cals in and cals out cause certain foods can make you hungry ie. high glycemic carbs that spike insulin, that can make you eat more and when you eat more obviously you get more cals, and if what you eat is more high glycemic carb the process simply compounds itself.
    Nathan

Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh37 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Re: Re: carbs arent evil

Originally posted by dilly
    Very stupid thing to say! What you eating during the day and when you eat is more important then calories in vs calories out!
    Exactly!

Re: rebuttle

Articles are from 1982, 1984, and 1988...so they were probably on ******* first of all. And then stuff changes in 20yrs.

okay okay

heres some more recent 2003....

this one i find very interesting

this one doesnt quite relate directly but i think you'll find it interesting anyway

Only when CHO energy intake exceeds TEE does DNL in liver or adipose tissue contribute significantly to the whole-body energy economy. It is concluded that DNL is not the pathway of first resort for added dietary CHO, in humans.

anyway i can pull up some more if u need but that should do it for now
    Nathan

taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000)
    if your going to eat carbs at night, try making in them in low GI vege form
    like broccoli will complement your chicken nicely and has a GI of under 15!

AD8513 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Carb Problem

I have always had problems with my Carbs... My body does not handle them very well. I don't really get fat, but it all goes to my stomach and i get love handles. I try and get on atleast a 40/40/20 diet and sometimes a 35/45/20. My question is how many carbs should i take in and what kind of carbs after i workout ( and keep in mind, the only time I can workout is at 8 o'clock at night, and I hear that carbs at night are bad). Also I am about 6' tall and weigh 167 lbs. Since I have been keeping a close count on my carbs I have cut down on my stomach, but haven't been gaining too much muscle in return. It is probably because I havent been taking in any carbs after I workout at night. So what do i take after I workout to recover?

ekco will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekco will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekco will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekco will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekco will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekco will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekco will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekco will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekco will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekco will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekco will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So how many grams of carbs at night is too much carbs?

I wouldnt take over 15g right before bed and probably under 30 w/in two hour of going to bed.

After workout

Post workout muscles are starved of glycogen. Insulin pulls carb receptors into action so that cells take in more carbohydrate but after workout most of these receptors are already present due to the fact that the cell needs glucose therefore not as much insulin is needed to drive it in, so dont worry about eating carbs after u workout at night or anytime really. If carbs seem to make you "fat" it probably means that your insulin resistant to some degree and that will begin to go away as you lose weight, but again dont worry about carbs right before bed after a workout like that, and even if you are insulin resistant if the carbs your eating dont send you over your caloric expenditure how can you possibly make fat out of calories that you have burned? I mean if every gram of carb you ate turned right into fat, (this process itself takes calories) then for 20 grams of carbs you can be left with a max of about 9g of fat some calories however will be used to store it as fat, so not quite 9. Same for 40 grams of carbs even if EVERY calories turned right into fat which cant happen you can get a max of about 18g of fat, and if you burn off those calories while you sleep ect then you've gained 0 fat and 18g is really not that much anyway, i think a pound is like 434g. Still make sure the carbs are low GI as low GI take less insulin.
    Nathan

Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gareth has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Nathan u are correct.

It's as simple as that.

I'd like 2 see a study that shows our BMR decrease towards bedtime. But DNL will only occur (doesn't apply 2 endos) when our glycogen stores are full.

Hence it would make more sense to consume large carb meals at time when we are most active where glycogen is used as primary fuel and our carb food become direct replacements. In other words, no chance of fat storage.

It would be very silly to immediately consider carb before bed as taboo.

When we sleep, our body continues using liver glycogen for primary functions. Not only that but a full liver tank also allows the sparing of valuable aminos. Carbs consumed before bed will just serve as a direct replacement of the usable liver glycogen. Of course our enery usage isn't as high as when we are awake. We should keep this in mind when deciding how much carbs 2 consume. Most importantly, carbs should be low GI.
    Last edited by Gareth; 02-08-2004 at 08:19 AM.