Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking The case for leg extensions

Ok so heres the deal, I am getting kinda annoyed by reading SO many articles that basically say "leg extensions are for panzies, if you want big legs and your a MAN, then squat!" I am so sick of this b/s >.< These stupid jocks need a little knowledge dropped on them so here goes.

The Case for Leg Extensions
    Here are the main reasons why I believe leg extensions are one of the best excercises out there for training quads.

1. Leg extensions are the only isolation excercise out there for quads. If you are doing a split that trains quads and hams on a differnt day, this can be quite valuble.

2. Leg extensions are much safer than squats, period.

3. Leg extensions are great for rank beginers as they are easy and safe to perform and, in rank beginers at least, they can be used to add mass quick.

4. Leg extensions are a GREAT warm up excerise for quads to really get the blood flowing to that area.

5. Leg extensions are wonderful if you are attemting to do the "finish pump method" or just to get a great pump in your quads at any time.

6. Leg extensions really burn(if performed correctly) this is due to the build up of lactic acid in the muscle. When this release of lactic acid occurs, it also greatly stimulates the production of HGH(human growth hormone) a HIGHLY anabolic hormone.

7. The leg extension machine is just that, a machine, making it very conveint for things like suppersetting and drop sets(especially if its an easy machine loaded version)

8. Find me a PRO bodybuilder that dosent utilize leg extensions at all...cause i dont know any.

9. Leg extensions are GREAT for rehabing the legs from injury. If one leg is injured it can be rehabed though unilateral leg extensions, u cant do one legged squats lol....well maybe hacks but i dunno if thats such a good idea =/...

10. Leg extensions are most certainly NOT for pansies. Try to complete multiple sets with heavy weight or say super 21's at the end of a hard leg workout...yea that is PAIN! the leg extension, if used properly, is one of the most intense and torturous excercises known to man.

11. The leg extension is more versatile than you may think, just like how you can vary your foot placement during squats to hit certain parts of your quads harder than others, a similar thing can be done with leg extensions. Pointing the toes outward during extensions puts more emphasis on the Vastus Medialis, pointing the toes straight up puts more emphasis on the rectus femorus, finally, pointing the toes inward puts more emphasis on the vastus lateralis.

12. From what i have read of the pros, leg extensions are great pre-contest in order to etch fine detail and seperation in the quads, and really bring out those vaunted "cross striations."

13.(just added) Because extensions are an isolations excerise, for many it is easeir to "feel" the quads working on this excerise than the squat where, the hamstrings, lower back, and calfs, are also involved. This feeling may help establish the all important "mind-muscle conection" that some say is very critical in sparking and sustaining growth.

14. Finally, and this is the biggest point of all, leg extensions can be used IN CONJUCTION WITH squats to get the benifits of both, its not an either or situation like these articles will have u belive. "Quit the leg extensions and do squats" why can't you just use both for the syergistic benefits that they may have on each other? We all know squats are great for putting on mass, not just on your quads, but your entire body. We all know that squats help release testosterone and are great for building strength. So sure SQUAT...AND USE LEG EXTENSIONS TO COMPLIMENT THOSE SQUATS!

So there you have it, the case for leg extensions, and btw if any one wants any sources from where i got that info, post or pm me and i will give them to you, i just didnt feel like finding them now. Whats sad is though...I still fully expect to see plenty more articles calling me a p**sy for using leg extensions lol.

P.S. sorry about spelling/grammer
    Last edited by Progressive8; 04-08-2007 at 01:54 PM.
    Peace and Love

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i concur

UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with point 13.

We have a national-level powerlifter at our gym, he's a small guy but squats 5 plates and change. On his squat day, the last thing he does is a set of leg extensions.

But I'd never do 1) only leg extensions 2) heavy leg extensions, those can hurt your knee

Also, if you're a recreational lifter, your time is much better spent on squats than on leg extensions.

johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    #2 is not true, they are much harder on the knees. If you use them as a warmup as you have in your list that is one thing, but if you go all out the chances of damaging your knees is greater than if you are doing squats.

Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I love leg extensions but whenever I do them..my knees hurt when I try to run the next few days..anyone else have this issue?
    rather be 4wheelin !

johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Kate~ View Post
    I love leg extensions but whenever I do them..my knees hurt when I try to run the next few days..anyone else have this issue?
    Yes, and sea above.

Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by johnsbod View Post
    Yes, and sea above.
    HA..I was posting ques at that time...lol..okay..bummer..
    rather be 4wheelin !

UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    #2 is not true, they are much harder on the knees. If you use them as a warmup as you have in your list that is one thing, but if you go all out the chances of damaging your knees is greater than if you are doing squats.
    True. But leg extensions as warmup for squats? I'd do them after compound leg exercises.

Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Progressive8 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Maybe, and your right about one thing, i should have stated that as my opinion,i think squats are much more dangerous simply because of the heavy barbell supported on your back, many people dont have spotters(which are uneccesary for leg extensions) and thus its hard to go heavy on squats, because if your form is off, not only are your knees at risk, BUT YOUR ENTIRE BODY IS. Also many people train to failure, what happens if u cant clear the bar from your body safely, your spine,neck lower back, are all ask risk from everything from breaking,tearing,hearniating, u name it.
    Last edited by Progressive8; 04-08-2007 at 01:18 PM.
    Peace and Love

Originally Posted by UtahRocks View Post
    True. But leg extensions as warmup for squats? I'd do them after compound leg exercises.
    I simply don't do them anymore to be honest, but either way as long as you aren't going all out most people are OK.

Originally Posted by Progressive8 View Post
    Maybe, and your right about one thing, i should have stated that as my opinion,i think squats are much more dangerous simply because of the heavy barbell supported on your back, many people dont have spotters(which are uneccesary for leg extensions) and thus its hard to go heavy on squats, because if your form is off, not only are your knees at risk, BUT YOUR ENTIRE BODY IS.
    A spotter isn't really necessary in a power rack either, and that one thing has to do with damaging your knees so it's pretty important IMO.

remember leg extensions are so easy to control as your locked into a machine, with squats any number of things could go wrong. This is much less of an issue with DB squats or hacks(free weight), but froont, and especially back squats have to be some of the most dangerous excersise out there.
    Peace and Love

Maybe, and your right about one thing, i should have stated that as my opinion,i think squats are much more dangerous simply because of the heavy barbell supported on your back.
    That's what the safety pins in the squat rack are for. If you dont have a squat rack, use sawhorses instead.

Also nobody in their right mind tries to squat more than they can know they can handle.

remember leg extensions are so easy to control as your locked into a machine, with squats any number of things could go wrong. This is much less of an issue with DB squats or hacks(free weight), but froont, and especially back squats have to be some of the most dangerous excersise out there.
    I understand where you are coming from, but the same reasoning you are using to claim they are safe I can use to say you are building core strength and stabilizer muscles when you squat while at the same time not putting as much direct stress on the knee joint. If you happen to drop the barbell or can't come back up with the weight, the power rack will protect you.

squats any number of things could go wrong. But froont, and especially back squats have to be some of the most dangerous excersise out there.
    Just yesterday I failed a max attempt at front squat--couldnt get up. Guess what, I simply dumped the bar on the floor (bumper plates).

As to back squats, just lower the bar on the pins. No problem whatsoever other than a big noise.

Benchpress is much more dangerous than the squat

i agree for the most part however, a few important notes, not all gyms have power racks(mine included) and only recently got one crappy squat rack, and those wont always protect you, not only are the knees always at risk(just like they may be during extensions) it is very easy to hurt yourself using porr form, the leg extension is so simple an excerise that a noob is much less likey to do it wrong than a full squat. All excersise come with a certain amount of risk i guess, some of us may not warm up properly or use proper form (probably those who havent discovered bb.com yet lol), but my main aserction is, i think leg extensions are far safeer than quats, but its a matter of degree as both can hurt u. One final point about building core strengh, many people use belts and wraps so yea...
    I understand where you are coming from, but the same reasoning you are using to claim they are safe I can use to say you are building core strength and stabilizer muscles when you squat while at the same time not putting as much direct stress on the knee joint. If you happen to drop the barbell or can't come back up with the weight, the power rack will protect you.
    Peace and Love

JoKing will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoKing will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoKing will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoKing will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoKing will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoKing will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoKing will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoKing will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoKing will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoKing will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoKing will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yea. The most amazing growth I ahve and probally will ever experince is when I supersetted heavy ATG squats, with Very slow, perfectly done, leg extensions.
    Squat-3X5
    Leg extension-3X8

i agree for the most part however, a few important notes, not all gyms have power racks(mine included) and only recently got one crappy squat rack, and those wont always protect you, not only are the knees always at risk(just like they may be during extensions) it is very easy to hurt yourself using porr form, the leg extension is so simple an excerise that a noob is much less likey to do it wrong than a full squat. All excersise come with a certain amount of risk i guess, some of us may not warm up properly or use proper form (probably those who havent discovered bb.com yet lol), but my main aserction is, i think leg extensions are far safeer than quats, but its a matter of degree as both can hurt u. One final point about building core strengh, many people use belts and wraps so yea...
    I just noticed your location. I used to live in Stamford BTW. You need a new gym and I could recommend one! j/k

I get your point, but using still the best thing for newbies is to work mainly on compound free weight exercises to develop stabilizer muscles and build core strength. Of course the leg extension machine has its place in the gym or it wouldn't be there anymore, but I really think people need to go extra easy on them to prevent injury and if it bothers your knees at all, simply NOT do them anymore.

yea tell me about, planet fitness sucks and speaking of squats...well ya know u kinda involuntarily grunt while doing them...well im not allowed to grunt at planet fitness, it messes with my airfloew trying to hold it in >.< lol. When i was first told to "keep it down during some leg presses i was confused...then he told me no grunting, and i looked at him in disbelief, he then said "sorry i dont make the rules i just inforce them lol" *rolls eyes* but yea any recommendations would be appreacited lol thx =)

ok and back to the debate your right, if it bothers your knees dont do them, everybodys geneitics are differnt, personally i had alot of joint promblems before i ever started lifting, and most of those problems have improved since working out, my knees are fine(with the exception of the occasion popping noise lol) though because im lucky and have OCD about form lol I agree partly about the stabilizers muscles although when i was a beginer i just started with extensions and the amount of mass i put on was crazy lol O.O so maybe thats where my affinity for them came from, however now i use them only at the ends of workouts for burning out my quads. Something i forgot to mention to and i should put in my first post was the importance of the mind-muscle connection. Because leg extensions are an isolation, for most people they are easy to "feel" the quads doing what they were made to do, extend the knee. Developing this connection is very important, in addition to hitting the stabilizer muscles with squats.

I just noticed your location. I used to live in Stamford BTW. You need a new gym and I could recommend one! j/k

I get your point, but using still the best thing for newbies is to work mainly on compound free weight exercises to develop stabilizer muscles and build core strength. Of course the leg extension machine has its place in the gym or it wouldn't be there anymore, but I really think people need to go extra easy on them to prevent injury and if it bothers your knees at all, simply NOT do them anymore.
    Peace and Love

yea tell me about, planet fitness sucks and speaking of squats...well ya know u kinda involuntarily grunt while doing them...well im not allowed to grunt at planet fitness, it messes with my airfloew trying to hold it in >.< lol. When i was first told to "keep it down during some leg presses i was confused...then he told me no grunting, and i looked at him in disbelief, he then said "sorry i dont make the rules i just inforce them lol" *rolls eyes* but yea any recommendations would be appreacited lol thx =)

ok and back to the debate your right, if it bothers your knees dont do them, everybodys geneitics are differnt, personally i had alot of joint promblems before i ever started lifting, and most of those problems have improved since working out, my knees are fine(with the exception of the occasion popping noise lol) though because im lucky and have OCD about form lol I agree partly about the stabilizers muscles although when i was a beginer i just started with extensions and the amount of mass i put on was crazy lol O.O so maybe thats where my affinity for them came from, however now i use them only at the ends of workouts for burning out my quads. Something i forgot to mention to and i should put in my first post was the importance of the mind-muscle connection. Because leg extensions are an isolation, for most people they are easy to "feel" the quads doing what they were made to do, extend the knee. Developing this connection is very important, in addition to hitting the stabilizer muscles with squats.
    I used to work out at the New York Sports Club in Stamford. They have a great facility if you're looking for a new gym.

o i cant commute that far man, i baically workout at PF, sometimes at my college down the street if they are open, and in my basement lol. The only other option here is world gym which is twice the price and from what i hear, only slightly better. I wish they had a gold's here =/. That one from the fit show/war of the worlds, is incredible O.O NOW THAT is a gym lol.
    I used to work out at the New York Sports Club in Stamford. They have a great facility if you're looking for a new gym.
    Peace and Love

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    extensions are a must for most people to adequately develop the tear drop

anyone who says they are for sissies and real men should only squat should be pushed off a tall building
    Who was this love of yours?

Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    extensions are a must for most people to adequately develop the tear drop

anyone who says they are for sissies and real men should only squat should be pushed off a tall building
    That's not what I'm saying. What really helped that part of my legs though was lunges.

o i cant commute that far man, i baically workout at PF, sometimes at my college down the street if they are open, and in my basement lol. The only other option here is world gym which is twice the price and from what i hear, only slightly better. I wish they had a gold's here =/. That one from the fit show/war of the worlds, is incredible O.O NOW THAT is a gym lol.
    When I first joined that New York Sports Club is was a Gold's Gym.

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That's not what I'm saying.
    wasn't directed at you bro-was responding to the OP's comment that he has read artcicles saying that
    Who was this love of yours?

wasn't directed at you bro
    Just making sure.

yea i think im gonna look and post a few, i remember one was from a magizine though, something about an "Iron brotherhood" i doubt that ones online now but i will look for that too.
    wasn't directed at you bro-was responding to the OP's comment that he has read artcicles saying that
    Peace and Love

Peace and Love

here's another from bb.com where they are reffered to as a pansie excercise even though he says they are good for developing certain parts of the quads
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/phano73.htm

and another, read the poem at the end lol
    http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/sean2.htm
    Peace and Love

Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000) Lion Heart is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just making sure.
    With ya on that chris hansen pic

here's another from bb.com where they are reffered to as a pansie excercise even though he says they are good for developing certain parts of the quads
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/phano73.htm

and another, read the poem at the end lol
    http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/sean2.htm
    Yeah, those kinds of articles and comments are ridiculous. People try to get ultra-hardcore, or at least pretend to be, in order to gain acceptance from their peers rather than doing what works for them. The big 3 are not the end all be all to lifting.

Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    With ya on that chris hansen pic
    Thanks, and I'm serious about it.

Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Heavy parallel back squats+leg extensions=

I had nearly no VMO ("teardrop") before leg extensions.
    Random Guy, Ph.D., Clinical Psychologist
    -Although I offer advice and information, I am not diagnosing or treating anyone
    with anything.