Dirty B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best routine to get a perfect on military PT test

Hey guys I have an important PT test coming up. The max points are assigned for the reps of the exercise below

80 pushups in 2 min
    90 situps in 2 min
    1.5 mile run in 8 min 50 sec

I know its not all that hard but I am a little out of shape. I have 3 weeks until I have to take this test and I really want to max it out. I have been running like 4 miles a day for the last week or so. I am not too concerned about the pushups and situps but mainly the run. If you guys have any good training advice to help me out it would be great. I would say right now I am running the 1.5 in the mid 10 minute range. My stats:

6' 210 lbs with bad mechanics and even worse shin splints!!

The last time I have really tried to max this test was a boot camp and I maxed out the situps and pushups. the run back then was a 2 mile run and I did it in 13 min flat so I can build a decent cardio base. any help would be sweet, I need to max this out so that I can become a pilot!!!

cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    we have to run the cooper for soccer (2 miles, 12 mins) all i can say is, u better start trainin balls to the wall if u want to knock over one minute off that run. theres not much u can do but just b fit. quit runnin that 4 mile BS, ur only runnin 1.5. start runnin the cooper tomorrow, every other day. on the other days ur not runnin the cooper. do somethin like this. 4 x 400's, 8 x 200's, 8 x 100's, 8 50's, all in time. i forget the times we did, it was somethin like 1min15 for 400, 32 for 200, 18 for 100, 7 for 50. if u want this test thing bad enough, u'll have to do this. i guarantee if u do this, in 3 wks, ull breeze through the test. keep me posted, peace
    It doesnt matter how big, how cut, or how much you can lift, because there will always be someone bigger, more cut, or stronger than you. You should train to be the best you genetically can be. This is what should motivate you everyday.

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bump to cwsocr. I do something similar when it's time to get in shape for soccer season. It works. The main thing is that since it is in 3 weeks just go all out with your training. You can spend three weeks going all out. You might want to try running at the pace that you will have to run as well. Then you can see how good you are doing.

thanks for your help guys. eventhough I am a bigger guy i adapt to training pretty well. When training for that 2 mile I dropped 2 minutes off my time after one month of hard training. I like that workout and I will try it. I am very commited, thanks for the help. 17 Feb is the date, I will let you know how it goes. thanks a ton.

hey guys, i searched for this cooper thing, but i am kinda lost. i thought it might be a workout that is easy to find but i dont see it. could you explain it? thanks

cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cwsocr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    u run 2 miles, in 12 minutes. period. the rest is just runs we used to do for fitness training.
    It doesnt matter how big, how cut, or how much you can lift, because there will always be someone bigger, more cut, or stronger than you. You should train to be the best you genetically can be. This is what should motivate you everyday.

damn i havent run 2 miles in 12 minutes since high school. if i could do that then this 1.5 mile would be no sweat. i'll work on it though

Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are you in the Navy. Because if you are then to max out it is 100 pushups and 100 curls ups. I do not remember what the run time is.

UVA_USN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Actually the Navy standards are scaled for your age, they go down somewhat every 5 years. So depending how old you are, the standards are different. The maximum for push ups never reaches 100 though. I know for me (male 20-24) the maximums are 105 curl ups, 87 push ups, 8:30 run. The relevant instruction is OPNAVINST 6110.1G.

Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Damn, You are right I should now this because I am the assisant PRT Cordinator. I may have been thinking of the last instruction.

Me want heavier dumbells! fireg275's Avatar
    fireg275 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fireg275 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fireg275 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fireg275 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fireg275 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fireg275 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fireg275 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fireg275 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fireg275 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fireg275 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fireg275 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

PT test

Hey Dirty, elevate your feet and start pushing you! Just kidding. It's been a few years since I left the army, but here's what I did to more than max out my PT test after I got a royal butt-chewing from my PSG (I got pretty fat after getting back from Ranger School - 200 when I left for school, starved down to 170, and then ballooned back to 230 a few months after my return).
    I did normal PT with my unit, but additionally did pushups every evening in front of the TV. Typically the Playboy channel or something to keep my interest, I'd go hard for 2 minutes and then continue till I got to 200, resting with my butt in the air. Abs were the same, lots and lots of flutter kicks. As far as running, I'd choose a different fun event to complete every other day. Running the airfield with my ruck, hill sprints wearing body armor, sprint interval training, and plain ole 2 mile runs. Each time I'd put a stopwatch to it and record all times on a master list. My times went down quite a bit and my next pt test was awesome. Just some ideas for you.

jmnage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DirtyB- That PT test you're looking to take sounds freaking hard as hell. You wouldn't happen to be aiming to become an Army Warrant Officer would you?

hey guys, thanks for all the input. For all those wondering I am a cadet enrolled in Air Force ROTC. This is the standard PT test for all cadets under 25. I am going up for a pilot board in a little over 3 weeks and just want to come as close as possible to max out the test. Thanks for all the help.