Thread: Wider back

Filthy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wider back

I was wondering if any one could help I hear that chin ups are the best way to give your back width.I can only manage to do a couple of sets of 6.What is the best way to get stronger to be able to do more chins? And what is a good program to get a wider back? Thanx

Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Chin-ups are definitely a good way to put some width on your back. If you can only do 2 sets at 6 reps, that's fine. See if you can add one more set to that even if you only get 2 or 3 reps. The key to chin-ups is to use strict form. Avoid looking like a gymnast getting ready to dismount! Rather concentrate on pulling with your back muscles with no swinging. I really like to try and pull my chest up to the bar as I feel that little extra distance gives me a good squeeze. Just remember to lower yourself in a controlled manner and don't let your arms lock out at the bottom of your rep. If you don't already do so, you can use some straps to help take the strain off of your forearms so you can get an extra rep or two. Once you start getting more then 10 reps, start weighting a belt and go from there.

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My back is my best part and all I do is:

- Wide grip pullups (palms facing out & slightly wider than shoulder width)

- Close grip chinups (palms facing me & slightly closer than shoulder width)

- Some type of row like bent over row, t-bar, 1 arm DB row or seated row.

That's it. I do 2 sets of each for 6-10 reps as heavy as I can. Once I do 10 on pullups and chinups, I add weight using a dipping belt.

How many sets exactly are you doing? I do my pullups and chinups first in my back workout so I can do a few more and add more weight.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

Filthy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanx mate I am getting to sets of 6 out but on the second set I am struggling to get the last couple out

Toddspell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No DL's, Overload?

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    time...time and patience. you'll build up

imho, once you can do 6chins buy a dip belt and add weight. weighted chins are far better than just regular chins
    Booo

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Toddspell
    No DL's, Overload?
    Can't at the moment. 2 damaged discs in my lower spine. Can't squat either. At least not heavy anyway. So for now I use high rep squats/hack squats and leg presses.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron