Closed Thread
    tatupaul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein shake/for someone with acid reflux

can someone recommend a good cheap tasting potein shake thats easy on the stomach and easy on someone who has acid reflux.

Ive been under medication for acid reflux for about ayear until i got better , but now that i got back into training and taking EAS myoplex vanilla, my acid reflux has returned. I know it takes a while to get used to it, but its just too much.

Does anyone recommend a lactose free shake. Would that help??

tatupaul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    anyone????????

edplayer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) edplayer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    maybe you should analyze your whole diet first (instead of thinking about more protein)? The acid reflux is a sign that there is a problem.
    www.onelook.com

mvanlone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have acid reflex and I have no problem with protein shakes. There is different degrees of acid reflex and I simply cannot eat a huge meal and than go right to sleep, if I do, I am flirting with the grim reaper that night. I have had acid reflex with mostly acid types of foods (Italian, pizza, sausage,...). I am a person with common sense and the best policy I follow is if I eat a meal, I am going to wait a 2 - 3 hours before I sleep, if it is at night or late.

With that said the is no reason to not be able to drink a protein shake. Where is the acid? The protein drink feels great to the stomach and your body can break down the protein drink very quickly and absorb the nutrients in it.

What makes acid reflex is there is a small valve at the top of the stomach as you get older, it sometimes will not shut completely so when you are lying down to sleep the stomach acids will try to travel up your eso****us (excuse my spelling) to your throat, where than you can gag on the acids and cut off your air or worst yet breathe the acid into your lungs. It is one of the most frieghtning experiences that you can ever feel because you truely feel that you are going to die cause you cannot breathe.

Now the good part (if there is any with acid reflex) your stomach will only make enough acid in order to break down food. So if you eat a meal like a large speghetti dinner, your stomach is going to be making alot of acid to break this meal down, especially the sauce and being full of solids like noodles and meat. If it is a protein shake, the stomach will not have to make much acid since it is easly digestable, so there will be less acid. So there should not be any reason that a protein shake should cause problems to someone with acid reflex.
    Only the strong survive!

RickRack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Acid reflux

I have the same problem as you and have tried many different kinds of protein shakes and weight gainers, but they all bother me. I am also lactose intolerant which makes it even harder to find one that won't make me sick. I have tried many shakes that have little or no lactose, but still get acid reflux from them. I don't know if it makes sense or not, but I think that aspartame contributes to the acid reflux because I recently tried a weight gainer that is lactose and aspartame free and hasn't given me any problems. The name of it is Pro Blend Solid Gains made by HDT. I have the chocolate which tastes pretty good. I don't know if your looking for a gainer or just a whey protein, but you should give this stuff a try. Hope this helped.

~Rick
    Last edited by RickRack; 02-05-2004 at 11:02 AM.

legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have the same issue in the evening specifically. I am looking inot things that help with acid reflux and imporving your diet always helps.

EDog

gstlynx is on a distinguished road. (+10) gstlynx is on a distinguished road. (+10) gstlynx is on a distinguished road. (+10) gstlynx is on a distinguished road. (+10) gstlynx is on a distinguished road. (+10) gstlynx is on a distinguished road. (+10) gstlynx is on a distinguished road. (+10) gstlynx is on a distinguished road. (+10) gstlynx is on a distinguished road. (+10) gstlynx is on a distinguished road. (+10) gstlynx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    In my experience, unmixed meals/adequate hydration are the best way to deal with acid reflux. Meaning only eat either protein/fat or carbs/fat, don't mix protein and carbs. Furthermore, chewing food is ridiculously undervalued, especially as we age. And body builders, accustomed to eating a lot, all the time, are notoriously bad at chewing.

If you use a protein powder, pretend to chew it. I know it seems like mastication to chew a liquid, but it helps.

The idea is to speed up gastric clearance without sending undigested chyme to the small intestine.
    If Fitness were that simple, we'd all wear Best Form Tank Tops!

bestforminc.com

Beaver Hunting Member rbuffetta's Avatar
    rbuffetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbuffetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbuffetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbuffetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbuffetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My dad who had acid reflux so bad surgery was required. He is in his 60s. They went in with a laser and got rid of pre cancerous growths/cells. I gave him some of my syntrax nectar (which has aspartame) and he had no problem with it. (this all started when I told him there was a protein shake that was as good as kool aid). Maybe an option.

legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250) legalgear has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by gstlynx
    In my experience, unmixed meals/adequate hydration are the best way to deal with acid reflux. Meaning only eat either protein/fat or carbs/fat, don't mix protein and carbs. Furthermore, chewing food is ridiculously undervalued, especially as we age. And body builders, accustomed to eating a lot, all the time, are notoriously bad at chewing.

If you use a protein powder, pretend to chew it. I know it seems like mastication to chew a liquid, but it helps.

The idea is to speed up gastric clearance without sending undigested chyme to the small intestine.
    Great advise! Does that mean no more cookies and steak?

SupplementFreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This may help you guys

Have that Burning Feeling? Gastro-Eso****eal Reflux Disease (GERD) might be the reason • Nearly 7 million Americans suffer from GERD. • GERD afflicts people of every socio-economic class, ethnic group and age, although it is most common in adults between ages 45 and 64. • GERD affects an estimated 7 percent of the global population (men, women and children). Sources: International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders (IFFGD); GERD Information Resource Center (www.GERD.com) You recognize the feeling, that burning sensation in your chest after a meal. (Maybe eating that last slice of pepperoni pizza wasn't such a good idea.) Nearly everyone suffers from this discomfort -- heartburn – on occasion. In fact, more than 60 million of us experience heartburn at least once a month, and about 25 million suffer from it on a daily basis. But if heartburn has become a regular complaint, you may have the digestive disorder known as gastro-eso****eal reflux disease, or GERD. GERD affects the lower eso****eal sphincter (LES) muscle, which connects the eso****us with the stomach. Normally, this muscle prevents digestive acid from flowing out of your stomach into your eso****us. But if your LES muscle isn't working properly, the resulting reflux of stomach acid can cause regular heartburn and chest pain. Additionally, you may have problems swallowing and you may notice a sour-tasting fluid in your mouth. When digestive acid is refluxed (backed up) into the throat it can cause sore throat, and if it reaches your mouth, it can dissolve tooth enamel.
    GERD can eventually cause breaks in the lining of the eso****us, leading to severe damage to the skin-like lining of the eso****us (a condition known as Barrett's eso****us). The risk of eso****eal cancer is significantly increased in people with Barrett's eso****us. In most cases, GERD is a chronic condition. Unfortunately, because the most frequent symptom of GERD -- heartburn -- is so common, many people don't associate it with a disease. That's why it's important not to ignore regular heartburn. Don't try to self-diagnose or self-treat if heartburn (or other symptoms, such as a sour taste in your mouth) is a recurring problem. If you find yourself reaching for the antacids more than twice a week, have trouble swallowing, or regularly experience nausea or vomiting, see your health care professional. Although GERD can't be cured, it can be effectively managed with modification to your lifestyle and diet. The following are recommended: • Avoid fatty foods, spicy foods and caffeine, which stimulate stomach acid. • Say "no thanks" to chocolate, peppermint and alcohol, all of which relax the LES muscle and lead to heartburn. • Be a grazer. Eat smaller, more frequent meals, rather than three meals a day. (When your stomach is full you increase your risk of stomach acids spilling into the eso****us.) • Forget that bedtime snack. Avoid eating for three hours before bedtime. Eating anything elevates the acid level in your stomach, and lying flat in bed can worsen the problem. • Elevate your head when you sleep or raise the head of your bed. • Don't wear tight-fitting clothes. They increase pressure on the abdomen. • Don't smoke. Smoking stimulates stomach acid. • Maintain a healthy weight. Excess body weight puts pressure on your stomach, which then leads to heartburn. • Avoid foods and beverages that can irritate a damaged eso****eal lining, such as citrus fruits and juices, tomato products and pepper. • Avoid exercising, straining, or bending over immediately after eating. Treatment of GERD is usually aimed at minimizing exposure of the eso****us to refluxed stomach acid, which then relieves symptoms and leads to healing of the eso****us. Antacids can neutralize acid in the eso****us and stomach and stop heartburn. It's not a good idea, however, to use antacids for more than three consecutive weeks. Long-term use can result in side effects, including diarrhea, altered calcium metabolism and build-up of magnesium in the body. Additionally, use of antacids can decrease vitamin B-12 absorption, so if you choose antacids, take a vitamin supplement. Herbal licorice may help symptoms, too. Just make sure it's deglycyrrhizinated licorice. Whole licorice contains glycyrrhizin, which can raise blood pressure. Deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL), on the other hand, is an effective natural remedy that increases the mucous coating of the stomach, making it more resistant to the effects of acid. And there's some speculation that taking digestive enzymes (such as bromelaine, which is found naturally in pineapples) can help aid digestion, and, therefore, control heartburn. Unfortunately, GERD has a high recurrence rate because there is no medication that can correct the underlying cause of the disease. Most people, however, get adequate 14
    symptom control (which leads to eso****eal healing) through a combination of lifestyle and diet modifications. ******************************************End of Article******************************************* ***
    WWJD-Nuff said!

ashutoshg12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool Regarding beating In stomach very fast and gassy stomach

Yesterday I feel my stomach is beating very hard like a heart and also have gas so please someone tell me I am taking my protein impact whey so it is because of this or some another reason

mvernon619 is not very well liked. (-100) mvernon619 is not very well liked. (-100) mvernon619 is not very well liked. (-100) mvernon619 is not very well liked. (-100) mvernon619 is not very well liked. (-100) mvernon619 is not very well liked. (-100) mvernon619 is not very well liked. (-100) mvernon619 is not very well liked. (-100) mvernon619 is not very well liked. (-100) mvernon619 is not very well liked. (-100) mvernon619 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by legalgear View Post
    Great advise! Does that mean no more cookies and steak?
    I thought I'd chime in here as an ENT/GI clinician. Steak, chocolate, liquor, and an umber of others foods are REFLUX-INDUCING foods. They don't necessarily have to be acidic themselves such as orange juice or strawberries to cause reflux. The relationship between foods we eat and the severity/frequency of reflux it causes relieso n an umber of different factors outlines in several papers I have wirtten by people with MD, FACS after their names. I can send these to anyone who's interested!

Moreover, the chewing rule is true and this is because when we chew our body secretes a specific enzyme which aidesi n thebreakdown of food material before it even gets to the stomach, giving the stomch less work to do in a smaller timeframe. If you don't chew, you don't get the help of this enzyme. Also, if oyu chew gum but don't eat anything you get hungier quicker becasue youre body is ready to receive and break down food that isn't coming.

If anyone wants any more info on reflux please let me know!