Leeps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Success with Cervical Fusion?

I'm 30. My surgeon says I need a fusion for my C6-C7 herniation b/c it's causing central canal stenosis and is quite severe. Before I even went to see him, I kept telling myself that I didn't want a fusion, but it seems like there is no other surgical choice. Although, he does not do disk replacement surgery.

He said I could resume weight lifting as long as I am smart about it, so I can totally go without ever benching 185 lb or OP 50 lb dumbbells. Train smarter not harder is my new motto.

Although I'm going for a second opinion, I'd like to hear about your experiences with this surgery. I'm graduating with my nursing degree in a few weeks, so I hope I will be able to find a job that doesn't put me at high risk if I have the surgery.

How long was the recovery? When could you start exercising and going back to work? Have you had any complications?

Thank you

Charlie1121 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlie1121 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlie1121 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlie1121 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlie1121 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlie1121 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlie1121 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlie1121 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlie1121 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlie1121 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlie1121 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You are better off getting the cadaver disc replacement,especially because of young age.
    My mother (a renal care nurse) had this done in her late 40's,recovery was manageable and she went back to work with no restrictions.

AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I had C6C7 fusion (cadaver bone plus titanium plate) Jan 2013. The reason I had the surgery is because I lost the ability to contract my left tricep and left pec due to nerve impingement. My surgeon said that without the surgery it was a good chance I would never get the full use of those muscles back.

The impingement happened with heavy barbell overhead presses. My bench went from 300+ to 135 in the month before surgery.

I was back in the gym 3 months after surgery. I started getting the use of my triceps/pec back about 8-9 months after surgery. (The nerve had to regrow, and it grows about 1 inch per month.) I'd say it is only now (1.5 years) that I am close to normal. My left arm still lags a bit in size and strength and my bench is only up to 260 and I'm gaining about 5 lbs a month in bench. My arm finally looks normal again.

I don't notice a restricted range of motion in my neck now and I have no side effects from the surgery. In the first few months I had the normal discomfort but no real pain of any kind. I would totally do it again in my case.

kubrad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

acdf c6/7

Originally Posted by AbleBonus View Post
    I had C6C7 fusion (cadaver bone plus titanium plate) Jan 2013. The reason I had the surgery is because I lost the ability to contract my left tricep and left pec due to nerve impingement. My surgeon said that without the surgery it was a good chance I would never get the full use of those muscles back.

The impingement happened with heavy barbell overhead presses. My bench went from 300+ to 135 in the month before surgery.

I was back in the gym 3 months after surgery. I started getting the use of my triceps/pec back about 8-9 months after surgery. (The nerve had to regrow, and it grows about 1 inch per month.) I'd say it is only now (1.5 years) that I am close to normal. My left arm still lags a bit in size and strength and my bench is only up to 260 and I'm gaining about 5 lbs a month in bench. My arm finally looks normal again.

I don't notice a restricted range of motion in my neck now and I have no side effects from the surgery. In the first few months I had the normal discomfort but no real pain of any kind. I would totally do it again in my case.
    Hey ablebonus
    Thanks for your post - your story sounds very similar to mine - over the past few months my triceps and bench on my left side dramatically decreased and felt less fullness on my left triceps and my index finger has been constantly tingling and numb - i have c6/7 severe stenosis and they are recommending surgery to hopefully prevent and possible recover some of the motor loss. I have been hesistant to due this but it sounds like your case was very successful. How are things now ?

JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have the plate/screws & cadaver bone at my c6/c7. I had no choice, it was severly compressed at the root nerve. Recovery depends on how long the nerve is compressed. If you need it, the sooner you get it done the better for recovery.

I'm heading towards my 4th year of recovery but I'm prolly not ever going to fully recover. My size came back but the pushing muscles are still weak. There is nothing I can do about it but I still try. I have weakness, tingling in fingers, sensitive to hot/cold, bad cramps & fatigue every day.

I think that in most cases the surgery is fine. My situation happened mostly due to having no insurance. It took 4 months with a compressed nerve to get the operation. Surgery wise, my worst part was swallowing food etc for months on end.