SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Unhappy Can't get back into keto...

OK, everything started with my first carb-up last Friday night, and lasted till Saturday night. I was 2 weeks into keto before my first carb-up. I ate a bunch of carbs, and limited my fats as well as overall calories. My carb-up included cereal, beans, brown rice, some cookies and etc. I ended up with about 800g of carbs over 30hour period. I gained about 5lbs too.

I did 1hour moderate intensity cardio on Sunday morning. Today is Thursday morning, and I'm still not in keto, even though i've lost the 5lbs that i've gained during carb-up. I've been strict on my diet, and haven't been eating anything differently than before my carb-up. I added a protein blend with 0 carbs, with some peanut butter before bed but that's about it.

I'm 20y.o., 6'4, 230lbs. My daily intake comes down to:

160g of fat/ 60g saturated
    200g of protein
    ~40g or less of carbs

~2300calories total.

I'm thinking about just skipping this weekend's carbup alltogether since It's so damn hard for me to get back into keto. Any thoughts?

Vinnys025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinnys025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinnys025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinnys025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinnys025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinnys025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinnys025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinnys025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinnys025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinnys025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinnys025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am afraid of this also, thats why I'm going to do my carbup once every other week. I was told that this is common and would be ok. Also, I read you eat peanut butter. I also read that you probably shouldnt eat too much of that either. Maybe a teaspoon when your cravings are too much to handle.

I'm sure someone else can give you a better answer. Just my 2 cents.

SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks for your reply, Vinny. The protein shake before bed consists of about 28g of protein and 1tbsp of pb. Sometimes I snack some almonds or peanuts, but nothing excessive.

nimrod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sycorax, now u know y i'm stil procrastinating to carb up

fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Shake

Before bed is not the best. Go with cottage cheese, cheese or walnuts. You will need the pre bed meal to absorb at a slow rate. The fatty acids will fuel you in the morning.

Dont be too afraid of a little carb up. Start slow and see what you can handle.
    Psalm 121

Re: Shake

Originally posted by fitnessman
    Before bed is not the best. Go with cottage cheese, cheese or walnuts. You will need the pre bed meal to absorb at a slow rate. The fatty acids will fuel you in the morning.

Dont be too afraid of a little carb up. Start slow and see what you can handle.
    So you're saying that I should still carb-up tomorrow even though I'm not in keto yet?
    And why protein blend with some peanut butter before bed is not the best choice? I always thought that it would be good, since the fat would slow down digestion, and would prevent me of going into catabolic state during the night.

Btw, it's a Night Formula from **************, containing:

25% Calcium Caseinate
    25% Soy Isolate
    25% CFM Whey Isolate
    25% Milk Isolate

The sweetner is Splenda and it also has a chain of BCAA's.

fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Sycora

I am not for any protein drink before bed while attempting to shed body fat. While yes the PB will slow the absorbtion down some, bottom line is, a drink will still absorb to fast. Not to mention studies indicate whey can create an insulin response by itself.

On a Ketogenic diet the only time shakes should be used is PW...And NO oats!!

Should you carb up or not? I would have to say thats up to you. Perhaps a carb meal only.
    Psalm 121

I've never used oats after PW. I actually hate oatmeal. Anywho, I'm still deciding how much carbs to go with this weekend or any at all. I really didn't expect to take that long to get back into keto. This is really weird, because the first time ever I did keto diet, i tested positive on day 5, and that was the first time ever.

Anyone else has experienced difficulties to get back into keto after a carb-up?

chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I fully agree with Fitnessman (he's always right you know ) the only thing you've changed is the shake and boom no ketosis winner there for me. Also like fitness man suggested start smaller on the carb ups. I'm only doing around 10 hours.

nitsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) nitsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) nitsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) nitsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) nitsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) nitsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) nitsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) nitsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) nitsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) nitsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) nitsux will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I disagree, he is not taking a whey shake but a protein blend, this would be slow digested (generally speaking). I wouldn't be too concerned about not being into ketosis in 3 days after your first carb up. I think you should be eating more fats though during your first few days to descend into ketosis quicker.

Also your cals are low at only 10x bw I would have suggested starting at 12x because now you have no way to drop your cals with out getting dangerously close to starvating.

Originally posted by nitsux
    I disagree, he is not taking a whey shake but a protein blend, this would be slow digested (generally speaking). I wouldn't be too concerned about not being into ketosis in 3 days after your first carb up. I think you should be eating more fats though during your first few days to descend into ketosis quicker.

Also your cals are low at only 10x bw I would have suggested starting at 12x because now you have no way to drop your cals with out getting dangerously close to starvating.
    Well... the problem is that it's been more than 3 days. It's actually been almost 5 days (from sunday till today). I'm prolly going to cut the protein shake before bed for a while, and see how that goes. I prolly should've added it once I was in ketosis, at least then I would've seen if it is the reason to be kicked out of ketosis.

I usually eat between 2300 and 2400 calories. I really don't have any problems with starvation, as I gain weight easily, so to drop it I usually need a pretty low calorie diet. When I was on a 40/40/20 diet, my calories were at around 2000 and I've lost 40lbs that way.
    Last edited by SycoraX; 01-22-2004 at 03:58 PM.

Angry ARRRGGGHHHH

For the last time people(yah right)...LOL!

FOOD!!! GOOD!!! Before bed...SHAKES BAD!!!!!!!!!!

Shakes are only to be used PW ONLY>>>PERIOD>>>NO DEBATE>>>>NO "SPECIAL" BLENDS.

And furthermore:

NO SHAKES WHAT SO EVER BEFORE BED!
    Psalm 121

judge4100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think that people put too much stock in the keto stix. After my first carb up I thought I was having the same problem, so I did a little experiment. I didnt drink anything for about six hours, and bam! I see ketones. I just think that keto stix can be misleading.
    "We forge our bodies in the fire of our own will." Kahn

Jerry: How's it going?
    Kenny: Great. I've been working out. Went from a size 40, to a 42.
    Jerry: No kidding.
    Kenny: Yeah, I’m huge

Homer: This is pretty light.
    Lisa: Maybe your getting stronger.
    Homer: Well, I have been eating more.

Originally posted by judge4100
    I think that people put too much stock in the keto stix. After my first carb up I thought I was having the same problem, so I did a little experiment. I didnt drink anything for about six hours, and bam! I see ketones. I just think that keto stix can be misleading.
    Very true. Sometimes the trace is soo light, that you can't even see it.

Anyways, I'm doing some carb up today, and tomorrow I'll get back into keto and we'll see how that goes.

chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: ARRRGGGHHHH

Originally posted by fitnessman
    For the last time people(yah right)...LOL!

FOOD!!! GOOD!!! Before bed...SHAKES BAD!!!!!!!!!!

Shakes are only to be used PW ONLY>>>PERIOD>>>NO DEBATE>>>>NO "SPECIAL" BLENDS.

And furthermore:

NO SHAKES WHAT SO EVER BEFORE BED!
    I sense stress bro

Talking Better now

Psalm 121