ClaytonG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Please clarify post-workout meals!!

hey guys,

ive been lifting for over 3 years now, and I'm still utterly confused about what to have immediately post-workout, and then about an hour after that. could someone please help clarify?? right now, i have a protein/glutamine/creatine shake immediately post-workout, but i know this is not the best thing. i have heard i should be intaking high-gi carbs, but im not sure. please help a brotha out! thanks a ton!

American As Apple Pie theHULK9281's Avatar
    theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Post-workout shake should consist of a fast absorbing whey protein, and a carbohydrate source (low GI/high GI, your choice). There are other options, but these are the staples. Also, NO fat. Here's what mine looks like:

40g of protein from whey
    50g of carbs from oatmeal (dextrose will suffice also)
    5g creatine

Post-workout meal (about 1 hour later) should be a protein/carb meal. One of my choices:

12 egg whites
    1 cup kidney beans
    Multivitamin

webbum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by theHULK9281
    Post-workout shake should consist of a fast absorbing whey protein, and a carbohydrate source (low GI/high GI, your choice). There are other options, but these are the staples. Also, NO fat. Here's what mine looks like:

40g of protein from whey
    50g of carbs from oatmeal (dextrose will suffice also)
    5g creatine

Post-workout meal (about 1 hour later) should be a protein/carb meal. One of my choices:

12 egg whites
    1 cup kidney beans
    Multivitamin
    Good luck
    Work hard, play harder!

theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) theHULK9281 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by webbum
    Good luck
    lol. I think you need it more than I do.

thanks for the advice...

i have hear alot about dextrose and consuming carbs...where can i find dextrose to purchase? what about maltodextrin? is that good as well? if so, where can i get that too?

webbum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by theHULK9281
    lol. I think you need it more than I do.

Yeah! Ok, fatty!
    Work hard, play harder!

sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally posted by ClaytonG
    thanks for the advice...

i have hear alot about dextrose and consuming carbs...where can i find dextrose to purchase? what about maltodextrin? is that good as well? if so, where can i get that too?
    Dextrose

You can search google.com for maltodextrin

Maltodextrin is good but dextrose is better due to its science (it has less molecules then maltodextrin), therefore it is absorbed faster

Originally posted by webbum
    Yeah! Ok, fatty!

Kids these days.

Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000)

ClaytonG

ive been lifting for over 3 years now, and I'm still utterly confused about what to have immediately post-workout, and then about an hour after that

this subject confused the hell outta me for a long time as well and i tried many combinations and read many posts which just added to confusion.

but i did settle on one i've been doing for a while now and with good results!!!

pre workout i have 2 spoons of creatine & 2 spoons of dextrose. that's it. no protein. lots of water.

post-w/o (within 20 minutes) i have

6 egg whites
    1 scoop of whey isolate
    2 t-spoons of soy ISOLATE
    2 spoons of creatine
    6-8 heaping spoons of dry raw oats
    and
    1 large spoon of honey
    all mixed in water.

basically it's a combination of slow & fast digesting protein & slow & fast digesting carbs.

just before i make this i have 1500 mg of ginger root caps & 1000 mg of ala (or 400mg of r-ala)
    this has really helped with the bloat & lethargic feeling i used to get from my post w/o meals

then i shower & have a nap for an hour.

first solid meal after that is some sort of lean meat (mostly chicken) sweet potato & a huge salad.

these meals around training time have little to fats at all and then i won't eat at all for 3 or 4 hours after that.

i feel great on this. the rest of the day is protein, fibrous veges & good fats, salmon, fish oil, flax etc.

Richie

canadion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dude...

Well, I am not sure how your culture is with supplements and food but I'll help you with the Brazilian one...It's the 1st time I've been here but I am part of the Brazilian forums.

You should take in "Whey protein" about 15 minutes after working out and also "maltodextrin" (I don't know the term in English. If it's not "Maltodextrin" it must be "Maltodextrose" although I think Maltodextrose is different. Here, I was told "Maltodextrose" is a supplement for horses! You must have a protein which will be absorbed fast and a carbohydrate with high glycemic index to recompound your muscle fibers after workout. Whey protein + malto are the most important. Don't forget todrink enough water all day long to help absorb better. One hour before sleeping, take in albumin with water. (You may take it with milk as well but prefer water. The albumin will feed you during the night for some hours since it's got a low absoption. You take albumin as well in the morning but you can have it with milk and a fruit of your preference if the taste is too bad...hehe...I know how bad it can be with water only. Ah, and don't take in too much frutosis because it may cause a little catabolism which will be noticed throughout the time. After workout have more proteins. Try to have less carbo after 6:00 pm unless you work out at night but eat normally with moderation, of course, with more proteins.Strength during workout, malto + whey protein is enough...Be sure.

Last edited by canadion; 01-21-2004 at 06:45 AM.
    A healthy human is a happy one.

thanks to everyone for the help...ive decided, from all the advice, to go with:

Pre-workout:
    -5 g creatine
    -5 g glutamine
    -BCAA/HMB
    -No2

Post-workout:
    -5 g creatine (powder has dextrose already mixed in)
    -30 g whey protein isolate
    -40 g rolled oats (grinded into powder form)
    -water
    -BCAA/HMB

if anyone sees any probems with this, dont hesitate to give any more advice

you guys have been a huge help, thanks a ton!

Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000)

ClaytonG

if you're not cutting at the moment i'd drop the glutamine.

also whey has an abundance of bcaa's so you may want to save some dollars and just stick to the whey post w/o

have a look through Big Cats articles

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bigcat.htm

it should help you out with most things you'll need to know

Richie

Re: ClaytonG

Originally posted by Richie

also whey has an abundance of bcaa's so you may want to save some dollars and just stick to the whey post w/o

have a look through Big Cats articles

Richie
    >>> Exactly! If you have whey, glutamine and BCAA's/HMB...just stick to the whey protein... The rolled oats, water, and dextrose are fine.
    About the "No2", what is it?

In persuit of perfection. The Shizzy's Avatar
    The Shizzy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Shizzy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Shizzy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Shizzy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Shizzy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Shizzy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Shizzy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Shizzy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Shizzy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Shizzy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Shizzy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    what about a banana p/w with my whey??

I take my whey right after, or noz.. and a bannana and multi thereafter, with a meal after that.

2 questions..
    is the banana suffice?? Oats would prob be better, but it's not a viable possibility

secondly, sometimes i work out late at night.. say 11-12am..
    and plan on sleeping at 2am.. i have a protein shake w/ milk before bed... is it good to have a carb meal after the workout still? (the 1 hour after one) . I'm just gonna go with some lean meats tonight no carbs..and the milk/protein before bed.
    ~

Intensity is what I do best.
    On the rise. My ascent is inevitable.

***respect only to natural lifters...***

Bily Lovec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bily Lovec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bily Lovec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bily Lovec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bily Lovec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bily Lovec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bily Lovec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bily Lovec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bily Lovec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bily Lovec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bily Lovec will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    why no fat on post workout shake ?

its better to have some with your next meal in an hour or so ??

Plop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: ClaytonG

Originally posted by Richie

Richie
    why don't take glutamine during bulking.......?????

don't you still need it for muscle reciovering ect ect

for info on what No2 is (nitrus oxide), follow the link:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/no2.html

i just started taking it (sunday), but i have noticed greater endurance during my workouts. then again, it could just be me...i dunno. ill let you know if i see any specific results down the road, but from all accounts, i have heard that it really works. im currently using the product made by Pinnacle called "NoX2". its not as expensive as some of the others, but apparenltly its supposed to be just as good.

another question: does it have to be rolled oats in post-workout shakes?
    are there any other options, such as the banana suggested by others?
    does it really make that much a of difference what carbs it is, other than one is low-gi, and the other is high?

according to some other sources i have read, immediately post-workout it doesnt really matter the type of carbs you intake.

i could be totally off base with this, but let me know...thanks...

Originally posted by ClaytonG
    for info on what No2 is (nitrus oxide), follow the link:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/no2.html

i just started taking it (sunday), but i have noticed greater endurance during my workouts. then again, it could just be me...i dunno. ill let you know if i see any specific results down the road, but from all accounts, i have heard that it really works. im currently using the product made by Pinnacle called "NoX2". its not as expensive as some of the others, but apparenltly its supposed to be just as good.

another question: does it have to be rolled oats in post-workout shakes?
    are there any other options, such as the banana suggested by others?
    does it really make that much of a difference what carbs it is, other than one is low-gi, and the other is high?

according to some other sources i have read, immediately post-workout it doesnt really matter the type of carbs you intake.

i could be totally off base with this, but let me know...thanks...
    >>> If you use the Nitric Oxide for strength only, the
    creating plays the same role but I skimmed the text and read
    that it helps in a different way. I will read everything about it and post something about it soon.

For the post workout shakes, have whey + maltodextrin.
    They will suffice. Maltodextrin is like normal sugar in taste and
    is not so expensive as it will last. It's important to intake high-glycemic index carbohydrate 15 or 20 minutes after workout (the best time) so maltodextrin will do the job and whey will be the fast-absorption protein. If you want to have a banana in your shake you can, however, it's better to have fast-absorption protein mixed with maltodextrin in water so that it will absorb better. Despite the bad taste... After working out, the special need must be focused on fast-absorption protein + malto.
    You can eat the banana before working out. It's a carbo so you can have it with maltodextrin in a shake before working out - it will give you more energy.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by canadion
    [B]>>> If you use the Nitric Oxide for strength only, the
    creating plays the same role but I skimmed the text and read
    that it helps in a different way. I will read everything about it and post something about it soon.

>>> Sorry for the typo, where I put "creating" I meant "creatine"...
    Last edited by canadion; 01-21-2004 at 06:42 AM.

I translated some long texts from the Brazilian forums and they
    shall clear an important part of your doubts. Be patient and read
    everything as patience was all I had to have to translate all this.
    The texts are by DAVIKING, one of the moderators of
    the Brazilian forums. [Thank you DAVIKING!]

--------------
    Steve-O wrote:
    --------------
    "Hi folks. I always take 30g of whey protein in a little bottle
    attached to my bike, then as soon as I finish working out, I put some
    water and there I go!
    I would like to know if this method is right considering my aim is
    hypertrophy. People talk a lot about shakes...Wouldn't they be good?
    Do you know any webpage which teachs some nutritive recipes which
    may help me?"

---------------
    DAVIKING wrote:
    ---------------
    "Having whey as you described is not forbidden, however, to maximize
    the benefits related to the muscular anabolism after workout, this
    supplement must be taken between 30' and 45' after working out (for
    hypertrophy or definition).
    It is interesting to break the catabolism with some high or medium
    glycemic index carbohydrate as dextrose or maltodextrin and/or dose
    of liquid amino acid rich in BCAA's.
    Another ideal supplementation immediately after workout is Glutamine
    in powder, better if put into the solution described (WATER +
    5 grams of GLUTAMINE + DEXTROSE or MALTODEXTRIN)."

---------------------
    canadion/my comments:
    ---------------------
    I would have whey 20 minutes after working out but 30 or 45 minutes
    is also fine as you can read above.

---------------
    DAVIKING wrote:
    ---------------
    "About Whey...There are 3 different phases of post-workout:

1) 30 minutes after the workout
    2) 90 minutes after the workout
    3) Rest (sleep)

Of course, those phases have scientific foundation but are medium
    statistics which vary from person to person. Even though, in relation
    to the supplementation timing, about only 90 minutes after catabolism
    is interrupted by the insulin release, there is the muscular tissue
    repair phase since it is broken off during workout.
    In spite of this idea being polemic, I think you can even take whey
    as an anti-catabolic and yet (depending on the dose taken, body weight
    and training), keep complete aminoacid chains for the following phase,
    of tissue restoration during workout. However, in this case, you don't
    maximize the supplementation benefits with whey protein since for
    immediate post-workout the intake of a carbohydrate with high-glycemic
    index (high gi) is enough for interrupting catabolism and it is the
    only proved/proven way to reduce the tiredness after the physical/mental
    stress. This intake fortifies the resynthesis of muscular glycogen
    which was depleted/reduced during the physical training/workout.
    Immediately after working out, having whey without dextrose or
    maltodextrin, for example, you will supply protein to be burned/burnt
    in the place of your muscle and until some aminoacids (Glutamine,
    Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine) be responsive for the anti-catabolic
    functions, interrupting the cellular break of the muscular fibers
    and helping with the repair of the tissue broken off during the
    workout. Only then we would go to the second metabolic phase of
    post-workout.

My point of view is simple: the protein has a specific function.
    In a diet lacking carbohydrates, some aminoacids do the job of
    carbohydrate through biochemical symbiosis. This metabolic process
    takes longer and I think that it does not maximize the benefits of this
    class of nutrients.

** It is important to understand how the whey protein is
    metabolized/metabolised to understand the timing.

It is known that our body tends to increase its "degradation" rate
    as the nutrient offer increases. One comparative study between WHEY
    PROTEIN and CASEIN (protein which compounds about 80% of the cow milk)
    by the University of London showed that, in fact, the whey protein
    takes less time to finish the gastrointestinal course and supplies
    a peak of amino acids faster. This sudden increase of aminocidemy,
    despite leading to a greater stimulus of the proteinic synthesis,
    does not alter the catabolism significantly and increases the
    oxidation rate considerably. (BOIRIE et al, 1997).
    Summing up, whey protein increases the anabolism but also increases
    the oxidation without altering the catabolism.
    So, putting those factors together, everything makes me understand
    that the most adequate supplementation post-workout is:

>>> IMMEDIATELY AFTER WORKING OUT:
    1) Dextrose solution in water and Glutamine (a) ;

>>> 30 MINUTES TO 45 MINUTES AFTER WORKING OUT:
    2) Whey protein with Maltodextrin (b) ;

>>> BEFORE GOING TO BED (1 hour before)
    3) A proteinic blend with varied protein sources with
    high biological value (Albumin/egg whites in powder,
    whey, supro).

(a) = During cycles with Creatine, it must be added to
    this solution, prepared at home before the workout with
    water so that this mixture will get homogenous/homogeneous.

(b) = Depending on the diet and on the workout time, it
    is interesting to add albumin/egg whites in powder to
    the supplementation with whey protein and maltodextrin
    in this second phase of post-workout.

I have been reading about researches which show that the protein
    "blend" is the ideal supplement for the post-workout and the
    time before the rest for athletes. If the biological value of the
    whey protein is high already (it contains more complete chains of
    amino acids), mixing WHEY + ALBUMIN/EGG WHITES IN POWDER + SUPRO/SOY
    ISOLATE PROTEIN makes an ideal proteinic supplement.
    The cow milk casein generates controversies because there are many
    people who are allergic to the lactose and, in these cases, it leads to
    a (mild) background of eating intoxication which complicates the
    proteinic metabolization/metabolisation.

In the very whey, there is whey protein concentrated, isolated by
    microfiltration and by ionic exchange. This does not represent an
    immediate and magical absorption as we expect but an ideal absorption
    (a) for post-workout periods and also for periods before the athlete's
    sleep. Thus, what is going to determine if they will take whey before
    sleeping is just their financial availability ($$$).

(a) = Here, "ideal" represents the absorption in phases of the various
    amino acid chains. In the case of the whey, these phases are more
    intense and faster than in the digestion process and metabolization/
    metabolisation of other protein classes. There are people who will say
    the physiological answer to the whey protein is a two-way road which
    increases the anabolism but also increases the oxidation without
    altering the catabolism. One way or another, it is important to
    explain the metabolic demands of post-workout...

1) UP TO 45 MINUTES AFTER THE WORKOUT:
    It's very important to ingest high-glycemic index carbohydrate
    (HIGH GI) as DEXTROSE or MALTODEXTRIN and FAST-ABSORPTION AMINO ACIDS
    with a great concentration of BCAA's up to 45 minutes after working
    out. The carbohydrates have the function of stimulating the insulin
    release, interrupting the catabolism; the BCAA's prevent catabolism
    of the dehydrated muscular mass.

2) 90 MINUTES AFTER THE WORKOUT:
    The muscular tissue reparation phase begins because the muscular
    tissue is broken off during the workout. In this time, it occurs the
    anabolic overcompensation, i.e./that is, the proteinic synthesis above
    the previous stocks to bear greater and greater loads of effort.
    There are people who think that great part of the muscular mass
    increment occurs right after working out. This has no foundation since
    the muscular metabolism phase in which this culminates happens
    during the sleep.
    It is interesting the ingestion of fast, medium and slow-absorption
    amino acids chains before the athlete goes to bed because there is no
    way people can know how many hours of sleep they will have till they
    arrive in the REM (Rapid Eye Movements) phase of sleep. This phase is
    indicated by studies as being the absolute peak of muscular anabolism.

JUST TO CLEAR SOMETHING:
    Only after 300 minutes from the ingestion of whey protein, the
    protein levels in the blood come back to their adjoining bases.

This means that if you take Whey before going to bed and arrive in
    the REM (Rapid Eye Movements) phase of sleep during the next 4 hours,
    what is very likely, you will still have enough whey protein in the
    bloodstream to feed the muscular mass increment. Simple like that!!!
    It is certain that this process is optimized if the whey protein
    is united to the albumin/egg whites powder, for example.
    Thus, a slower-absorption protein would be of great value during the
    last four hours of sleep (Having in mind that the medium time of
    sleep would be 8 hours per day).

** whey = fast-absorption protein
    albumin = slow-absorption protein **

There are people who will say that the bodybuilders need more hours of
    sleep than everyone else, exactly because of those intercellular
    metabolism nuances...
    ---------------------->>

Many people ingest only Albumin 1 hour before sleeping without Whey
    due to the costs since Whey is an important post-workout supplement
    as well and taking it before sleeping would increase the expenses.
    That's it...I hope those texts have been a great help for some of you...

ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    save yourself some money on the malto.. and hell on the rest of your supplements as well, just use a juice like juicy juice and 40g of whey. You want a fast absorbtion PWO meal, then an hour or two later get some complex carbs like brown rice, yams, etc., Carbs being the most critical factor for post workout. I know there is a big anti-carb klan out there nowaday's, it's quite pathetic actually for those seeking knowledge.

No fat post work out because fat will slow down your digestion, you want something to flash or spike your GI response at this time. Fat consumption would be better for your 5th or 6th meal of the day.

Glutamine is a waste during bulking, it is for sparing muscle while restricting calories.
    Aug 1 - Nov 1 Comp:
    8-1: xxx.x | 8-8: xxx.x | 8-15: xxx.x | 8-22: xxx.x | 8-29: xxx.x | Month Total:
    9-5: xxx.x | 9-12: xxx.x | 9-19: xxx.x | 9-26: xxx.x | Month Total:
    10-3: xxx.x | 10-10: xxx.x | 10-17: xxx.x | 10-24: xxx.x | 10-31 xxx.x | Month Total:
    Final Weigh-in | 11-1: (Goal: 210 lbs)