rolling187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How often should you work out?

I have been working out for the past 3 1/2 years straight, only small breaks of a week here and there! I don't feel like I have made the gains that I should have! I'm strong and in pretty decent shape, I weigh 200 pounds at 6'0 and my bench is about 335 for one. I use bench cause most people can relate since most people max there bench. Anyway I have read that as you get older (33) you should not work out everyday since after a hard workout your body needs time to rebuild the test that you used for that workout! You should do every other day and if you don't finish a full body workout that week you should start the next week with what you didn't finish! This makes me think that I am overtraininng and maybe the reason I haven't gained like I should have. I work out 5 days a week! (Monday-Friday) and sometimes will do cardio on the weekends. ANy thoughts from you guys who have changed your workouts over the years and made better results this way?

Thanks

fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I dont think over training sounds like the issue in your case. If your energy is well, that is a good indicator that your not over training. Recovery time as well factors in.

If gains have stopped look at your nutrition first. Then look at your weight program.

I am 38 and train 5 days a week...Most often when gains slow/stop its the nutrition aspect.
    Psalm 121

TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree with fitnessman but only up to a point. Working out five days a week does work ok, yet it still might be that you are tearing down as much muscle each workout as your body can rebuild. I think the number of days is in direct proportion to the volumne and intensity of the individual workout. Then a person has to look beyond the text book at the individuals own ability to recover and to grow.

I agree 100% that the first place to look is nutrition.
    Question is: are you really going to mind if you hit your goals without puking 3 times a week?
    by Daniel Roberts

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I read somewhere that after 40 it's best to spread your workouts out over a period of 9 days to hit all bodyparts. Right now, I'm doing a 4 day split within a week's period and training each bodypart one time in that period. I have tried training each bodypart within a 9 day period, though, and do think it's nice to have some recuperation time. I'm not sure which is best. I did notice a difference in my recuperative abilities, though, past 40.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Twowalks

I train Chest and tris on Monday. By next monday I am rip roarin ready to go. Training a body part once every week makes it very difficult to over train..

However:

If a muscle group by some odd chance was still sore the next week, there would be no way I would train it. I think alot of common sense has to come into play with training amounts. If a muscle does not recover in 6-7 days I would really look hard at my diet.
    Psalm 121

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Age certainly is a factor also. Recovery time does takes longer as we age. As I said, I've noticed a difference since I turned 40.

Since you're only 33, I wouldn't think a 5 day split would be a problem, as long as you're not overdoing it each workout.
    Last edited by Hibiscus09; 01-14-2004 at 08:33 AM.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. I have no problems recovering, I am always ready for the next workout! My concern is does test actually rebound after working out day after day? I know everyone is different but what is your feel on testosterone recovery.

bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000)
    More is not always better!
    I'm now 52 and I train every other day. Since I have adopted that training schedule, my workouts have been more productive
    Sometimes I tried to train 2 or 3 consecutive days and I could feel the difference: on the third day I might as well have gone fishing! The energy was low and the pump just didn't come.
    So now I stick to the one day on one day off schedule . After all , muscles don't grow at the gym, but when you rest ! Provided of course you supply them with the necessary material to adapt and grow! Which brings us back to the nutrition aspect !
    Age is but a number ! a healthy diet and regular exercice can make you feel and look much younger than you really are !

TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000)

Re: Twowalks

Originally posted by fitnessman
    I train Chest and tris on Monday. By next monday I am rip roarin ready to go. Training a body part once every week makes it very difficult to over train..

this was and is the part I agree with and I do believe that a person can workout five days per week. As long as their recovery will allow it and that brings up the point of Rolling " My concern is does test actually rebound" added also would be other levels such as natural hormones as well as the CNS. If each of these recovers with 5 days per week then its a good way to train and in your 30, yes it probably is ok. In your 40's you might need to drop down a day per week and in your 50 perhaps another day. Now we all know these are rules of thumb and may or may not apply to different individuals.

Here is what I believe:

I do not feel that 5 workouts of 36 minutes each will tear your system down any more than 4 workouts of 45 minutes or 3 workouts of 1hr ... they all add up to 3hrs per week and the remainder of the hours will still be used for recovery.
    Question is: are you really going to mind if you hit your goals without puking 3 times a week?
    by Daniel Roberts

I guess the best thing for me to do is to try an every other day workout and see how my body responds. I hate the thought of not working out I feel like I am shrinking when I go the weekend without working out. Thanks for the responses, I will let you know how things turn out. By the way I am also starting a new diet, I have always eaten good, I try to consume at least by body weight in protein and eat around 5 to 6 times a day but have never really calorie counted or watched by carb intake. Maybe this will also help the cutting process.

whutevr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whutevr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whutevr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whutevr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whutevr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whutevr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whutevr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whutevr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whutevr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

I work out 3 days week for 45 minutes and take a full week off every 11 weeks. I'm getting plenty of growth.

Veinpopper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rolling how much time are you spending on your workout?

supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supadave is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by rolling187
    I guess the best thing for me to do is to try an every other day workout and see how my body responds. I hate the thought of not working out I feel like I am shrinking when I go the weekend without working out.
    It wouldn't hurt to try something different, you never know if you don't try. you definately won't shrink in two days. you'll probably feel stronger when you workout next.

webbum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I train 6 days a week, and I don't over train.
    Work hard, play harder!

Lately my typical workout consists of this:

Monday
    Chest- lately I have been doing approx. 16 sets not including warmups. Usually do 4 sets of flatbench, 4 incline bench, 6 total cable flyes (2 low pulley, 2 medium, 2 upper) 3 weighted dips and
    3 decline bench. Takes around an hour.
    Followed by about 15 to 20 min. abs

Tuesday-Bi's and calves we vary our arm workout weekly for a total of 30 to 40 min. followed by calves.

Wed.-shoulders and quads- Again we vary this workout and tend to do this for 40 min followed by 4 sets of squats and leg ext. with lunges. ( Worst workout of the week )

Thurday-Tri's and Traps about an hours work followed by abs

Friday- Back for about 40 minutes

I am starting this week with:

Monday- Chest and back
    tuesday-cardio
    wed-Bi's and Tri's
    thursday-cardio
    friday-back and traps
    Sat. Will do my leg workout and have to work abs in during the week. I am going to try this for a month or two and see how the body responds.