theplacebo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Pre and Post Workout Nutrition

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what the nutritional goals are for pre and post workouts? I know post workout you want fast digesting protein (hence protein shakes), but I also hear about insulin spikes and certain kinds of sugars/carbohydrates... I'm just very confused. And what is the goal preworkout? Logically I'd guess you want carbs for energy, but I'm probably wrong. Anyway, any help would be necessary... foods/nutrients and why they are needed. Thanks.
    "Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead, "Scarlet Begonias"

xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

right idea

You are on the right track with your guesses, just needed some specific answers. The insulin spike you are referring to is one people achieve with the use of a simple sugar called Dextrose and or Maltodextrin which can raise blood insulin levels at a very fast pace. The reason for doing this is because after your body has been put through a significant strain your glycogen levels are depleted and needed replenished as soon as possible. This insulin spike has also been coppled with taking creatine for some as the rush of insulin acts as a transport catalyst for the creatine to your muscles. Some people find that they make better gains with complex carbohydrates postwork out however instead of simple ones, it's up to you to test your body and find out what works. Your basic idea with PW nutrition is about 30-50 grams of nutritive dextrose with 30-50 grams protein right after your last working set, or as soon as possible. Follow this up with a whole real food meal 30-60 minutes later. Before I forget, pertaining to the "fast digesting protein" you mentioned...The easiest to digest and probably easiest to find on the market protein is Whey, so that's what you'll be taking the Dextrose with if you decide you need the postworkout insulin spike.

As for preworkout, make sure you are taking in a complex carbohydrate of some type and it's light enough for you to keep down while truncating your body through it's working sets.

xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

right idea

You are on the right track with your guesses, just needed some specific answers. The insulin spike you are referring to is one people achieve with the use of a simple sugar called Dextrose and or Maltodextrin which can raise blood insulin levels at a very fast pace. The reason for doing this is because after your body has been put through a significant strain your glycogen levels are depleted and needed replenished as soon as possible. This insulin spike has also been coppled with taking creatine for some as the rush of insulin acts as a transport catalyst for the creatine to your muscles. Some people find that they make better gains with complex carbohydrates postwork out however instead of simple ones, it's up to you to test your body and find out what works. Your basic idea with PW nutrition is about 30-50 grams of nutritive dextrose with 30-50 grams protein right after your last working set, or as soon as possible. Follow this up with a whole real food meal 30-60 minutes later. Before I forget, pertaining to the "fast digesting protein" you mentioned...The easiest to digest and probably easiest to find on the market protein is Whey, so that's what you'll be taking the Dextrose with if you decide you need the postworkout insulin spike.

As for preworkout, make sure you are taking in a complex carbohydrate of some type and it's light enough for you to keep down while truncating your body through it's working sets.