retooferab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My I'm-not-gonna-overtrain-anymore-mass-gaining workout: feedback, please.

Quick background: Started post-surgery happy to still have my right arm (long story) but weak weak weak, 5' 11" and 145. In 15 months of lifting since then I've done no cardio and gained about 12 pounds of fairly lean bodyweight (mirror and jeans judgment). My goal is to get bigger and stronger, which I've done but plateaued. I've learned from reading here to do compound movements, eat alot, try V2, etc. Here's the workout I'm planning to switch to. What do you think?

Monday
    Flat Bench
    Military Press
    Dips
    Hanging Leg Raises

Tuesday
    Pull-ups (wide)
    Barbell Rows
    Barbell Curls
    Crunches

Wednesday
    Squats
    Dead Lifts
    Obliques

Thursday
    Dumbell Incline Press
    Military Press
    Dips
    Hanging Leg Raises

Friday
    Pull-ups (wide)
    Dumbell Rows
    Dumbell Curls
    Crunches

Weekends = FUN

2 to 3 working sets of 4 - 8 reps (always heavy)

*EDIT to note above workout is idiotic. Keep reading.*
    Last edited by retooferab; 01-06-2004 at 07:12 PM.

AlphaOmega2003 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs down

lol, are you serious. The title should be "My overtrain idiotic kill myself so that my muscles will never grow routine"

idiotsavant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thursday and Friday look suspiciously like Monday and Tuesday.

Esmir03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    wow what a tittle.

Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by AlphaOmega2003
    lol, are you serious. The title should be "My overtrain idiotic kill myself so that my muscles will never grow routine"
    LMAO.....i have to agree

ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Too much upper body I think. Four upper body days and only one leg day, plus... No calves? No hams?

Don't like the idea of working with weights every day. Rest days are a good thing.

How about something like this:

Day 1: Upper body
    Day 2: Cardio
    Day 3: Lower body/Abs
    Day 4: Cardio
    Day 5: Upper body
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Rest
    Day 8: Repeat but start with Lower body/Abs
    Day15: Cycle starts over

For Upper body how about this:
    Deadlifts
    Military Press
    Chinups
    Bench Press
    Rows
    Dips

For Lower body / Abs:
    Squats
    SLDL
    Leg Press
    Calf Raises
    Crunches
    Leg Raises

2 sets for everything. Don't go to failure.
    36 years old
    150 lbs
    7% bf

skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skarotum is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Plus one key problem is that you have exercises all over the place. Flat bench this day, incline bench a few days later. The two hardest lifts on the same day. Then back a few days after deads. It needs major work.

Talking

HAHAHAHA OK, I forgot to add to my background that I'm an idiot and have no knowledge except for what the red shirt dude at the Y says. So, thanks for all the laughs, but does everyone agree with ahadabans, or do you have an original idea? Thanks in advance.

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you're 5'11" and weight about 156lbs after the weight gain you stated, I don't think you should be considering any cardio. You need to eat and fill out.

As for a routine, maybe something like this. There's many options but I wouldn't do what you listed. No need to work the same muscle twice a week IMO.

I love low volume so I'll keep it similar to what you listed. Do just 2 sets of each with the 4 - 8 reps. Heavy!

Monday:
    Squats
    Dead Lifts
    SLDL or Leg curls
    Military press or DB seated press
    DB side laterals
    Obliques

Rest

Wednesday:
    Flat Bench
    Incline press (bb or db)
    Chest Dips (leaning forward)
    Close grip press
    Skull crushers
    Hanging leg raises

Rest

Friday:
    Wide grip pull-ups (palms facing out) - just about shoulder width
    Close grip chin-ups (palms facing in) - little inside shoulder width
    Barbell Rows
    Barbell Curls
    DB hammer curls
    Crunches

Rest
    Rest

Repeat

Here's one of my favorites. Again just 2 sets each. Theory is that if you get up to really heavy duty weights with these exercises, you won't be lacking in any bodyparts. Leave the smaller isolation exercises for when you're bigger.

Day one:
    Bench Press or Incline press
    Chest Dips
    Military or dumbbell press
    Close grip bench press

Rest and eat

Day three:
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    SLDL
    Calf Raises
    HEAVY Abs

Rest and eat

Day five:
    Pull-ups or chin-ups
    Bent Rows or Dumbell Rows
    Barbell or Dumbell Curls
    Hammer Curls

Day six/seven:
    rest and eat even more...

Good luck
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The best feedback you can expect is to do the program, then see if you make progress or not.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Wow. Thanks, Overload! I like that second workout, and I'll give it a try. I just have a hard time getting it out of my head that I can spend LESS time in the gym, and sleep in MORE days... and make BETTER gains. But, hey, I'm eatin' like crazy now and haven't been making gains for months, so... new work out (yours, not mine) and more real food protein (tuna, seeds, etc.), plus more sleep. WOOO HOOO!

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by retooferab
    I just have a hard time getting it out of my head that I can spend LESS time in the gym, and sleep in MORE days... and make BETTER gains.
    Yeah, it took me a while to give up the idea of set after set with multiple exercises at multiple angles.

This might interest you. It's changed the way I do my workouts and construct my routines.

http://www.allnaturalalternatives.co...IronAddict.zip
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50) ahadabans will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Overload...

That day 3 in your second routine is nuts. Squats, deads AND SLDL???? That's suicide man. Otherwise, I like it.

But here's how I would do it:

Day one:
    Bench Press or Incline press
    Chest Dips
    Military or dumbbell press
    Close grip bench press

Rest and eat

Day three:
    Squats
    SLDL
    Leg Press
    Calf Raises
    HEAVY Abs

Rest and eat

Day five:
    Deads
    Pull-ups or chin-ups
    Bent Rows or Dumbell Rows
    Barbell or Dumbell Curls

Day six/seven:
    rest and eat even more...

Don't think 2 bicep exercises are necessary. Deads should be on the "pull" day IMHO.
    36 years old
    150 lbs
    7% bf

Switching deads is a good idea. But keep in mind it's just 2 sets per exercise so you get the pain over with quickly. lol

Thanks, guys! I hope I can shape up as well as this workout is. (Man, I slept in this morning instead of working out... that was weird! Since I lift first thing in the morning, I'll have to figure what to do with sleep schedule. Getting up early every day worked for me -- a little groggy today.)