crunchyhippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crunchyhippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crunchyhippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crunchyhippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crunchyhippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crunchyhippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crunchyhippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crunchyhippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crunchyhippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crunchyhippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crunchyhippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

High protein, low fat, low carb diet?

Ok, I gotta question. I've been doing pretty well on the low-carb/high protein diet lately and seeing good results. I've lately stalled, however, so I'm looking to do some things a bit differently. I've also started working out in order to gain some muscle, as well as doing cardio, and I'm considering cutting out all the foods I've been eating which are high-fat (like beef, most cheeses, bacon, and nuts). I figured that if I reduced my fat intake, my body would burn off my current (substantial) flab reserves that much faster. Does this not make sense? I will have deprived my body of its massive fat intake, and consigned it to have to use its own fat. Yes, I understand that any excess protein eaten will be either stored as fat or burned as fuel, but I'll still be in better shape than before.

Any thoughts or comments would be welcome before I embark on this new alteration.

BrentAus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mate cut the fat cut the calories burn more calories then what you take in and presto u will keep losing it as long as your causing a calorie defect u will loose the weight im on the same type of diet but i dont watch the carbs that much i do say after 3pm but before then im not to fussed im trying to burn more calories then i intake therefor causing weight loss its worked so far

sdge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Let me start off by saying that I low carbed/high fat for about 3 months succesfully. All that ketosis jazz, in my opinion, is just that, jazz. Yes i believe you lose fat through ketones, but i don't think it makes up for how slow you metabolism goes. The high protein/low carb diet is really just a low calorie diet in disguise. Protein fills you up QUITE a bit. Not only that, it's hard to digest which makes it burn calories. The part where they say fat doesn't matter cause it's not the real enemy it's those damn carbs is just what they say so that you'll love their diet and think it's the greatest thing ever. Each gram of fat has twice the calories that it's carb and protein counter part has. What it really comes down to is the calorie deficit. YOU MUST USE MORE CALORIES THAN YOU CONSUME, PERIOD.

My advice is, the lower the fat the better. The lower the carbs the better, to a point. I'd advise at LEAST 30, preferably, 40 grams of carbs to stay OUT of ketosis. Cutting fat means cutting empty calories. The way I see it, anything you eat that doesn't give you something in return is access. We all know the wonders of protein, so clearly this is a necessary macronutrient. As for carbs, complex carbs deliver energy and bring glucogen to the muscles, which makes them look big. Sugars and other simple carbs are useless. Fat is also useless, TO AN EXTENT. There is a minimum of fat you should take in, or else you'll die. You need them to make up cell membranes and what not. I'm not sure on the amount or type of fat that is good and sufficient for you, but I'm sure some pro on the boards will answer that lickidy split.

Summary. Cut the fat, why the hell not.

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: High protein, low fat, low carb diet?

Originally posted by crunchyhippo
    Ok, I gotta question. I've been doing pretty well on the low-carb/high protein diet lately and seeing good results. I've lately stalled, however, so I'm looking to do some things a bit differently. I've also started working out in order to gain some muscle, as well as doing cardio, and I'm considering cutting out all the foods I've been eating which are high-fat (like beef, most cheeses, bacon, and nuts). I figured that if I reduced my fat intake, my body would burn off my current (substantial) flab reserves that much faster. Does this not make sense? I will have deprived my body of its massive fat intake, and consigned it to have to use its own fat. Yes, I understand that any excess protein eaten will be either stored as fat or burned as fuel, but I'll still be in better shape than before.

Any thoughts or comments would be welcome before I embark on this new alteration.
    High protein/low fat/low carb will probably not give you enough calories to keep from losing muscle. The old timers cut for contest on fish and water so it will cut you up very nicely.