jcflip80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

headache during workouts (oops, just read the previous post about this subject)...

Last Friday I was doing squats and at the end of my second set I was pushing myself really hard. Then I felt my head pulse with every heartbeat. The pain in my head started to kick in where I got sort of dizzy. After I put the weight back on the rack, I still felt a moderate headache. I continued to finish my workout and my head continued to hurt. I took a few days off and I started working out today and the headache came back again while I was doing my bench presses or just simply walking around with heavy dumbells. Last year, I had this type of headache and it took more than a month (and 2 weeks of not working out), to really get rid of it. Does anybody know what's going on and does anybody know any way to quickly get rid of this headache while continuing to workout (since I don't want to stop working out right now)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

....I just read the previous post about this subject, sorry about the redundancy...
    Last edited by jcflip80; 03-21-2002 at 02:00 AM.

Location: in the back seat of your truck with duct tape stretched out
    Antigravity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, I've been having the same kind of headaches and my physical therapist told me that the problem was coming from my neck. This may not be the case for you. The headaches I've been getting are increasingly worse with greater intensity and I feel the pain in the back of head (pounding, like yours.) I have been doing lots of neck stretches (turning head side to side, chin tucks, and attempting to touch my ears to my shoulders.) These stretches and advil have been helping my situation, but like I said, this may not be the case for you, I just thought I would share my experiences.

Also, be sure to watch your breathing during lifting. A lot of excercise induced headaches are caused by poor breathing.

Wiggy44k is just really nice. (+1000) Wiggy44k is just really nice. (+1000) Wiggy44k is just really nice. (+1000) Wiggy44k is just really nice. (+1000) Wiggy44k is just really nice. (+1000) Wiggy44k is just really nice. (+1000) Wiggy44k is just really nice. (+1000) Wiggy44k is just really nice. (+1000) Wiggy44k is just really nice. (+1000) Wiggy44k is just really nice. (+1000) Wiggy44k is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah, make sure you are breathing enough, because a lack of plentiful oxygen will make your head hurt.

Johnmortin3 is not very well liked. (-100) Johnmortin3 is not very well liked. (-100) Johnmortin3 is not very well liked. (-100) Johnmortin3 is not very well liked. (-100) Johnmortin3 is not very well liked. (-100) Johnmortin3 is not very well liked. (-100) Johnmortin3 is not very well liked. (-100) Johnmortin3 is not very well liked. (-100) Johnmortin3 is not very well liked. (-100) Johnmortin3 is not very well liked. (-100) Johnmortin3 is not very well liked. (-100)
    The most common cause for headaches is lack of sleep, water. If you know you're getting plenty of water. But it also depends on the type of headache. some headaches are brought on by stress. If you find the pain very difficult to bear, and lasting for longer then a day, consider seeing a doctor. Some people don't process all the nutrients their body needs to stay healthy, and need certain diets to minimize symptoms like headaches. If you know you're taking good care of your body, Then you should definitely see a doctor.

Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jcflip80 View Post
    Last Friday I was doing squats and at the end of my second set I was pushing myself really hard. Then I felt my head pulse with every heartbeat. The pain in my head started to kick in where I got sort of dizzy. After I put the weight back on the rack, I still felt a moderate headache. I continued to finish my workout and my head continued to hurt. I took a few days off and I started working out today and the headache came back again while I was doing my bench presses or just simply walking around with heavy dumbells. Last year, I had this type of headache and it took more than a month (and 2 weeks of not working out), to really get rid of it. Does anybody know what's going on and does anybody know any way to quickly get rid of this headache while continuing to workout (since I don't want to stop working out right now)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

....I just read the previous post about this subject, sorry about the redundancy...
    It's called an exertion headache and it happens. Takes different times for everyone to pass. I had it for a week and a half after doing 10x10 Squats and...well... exerting myself on the 9th/10th set.

Usually happens because of a combination of things. Lack of water/improper breathing/neck muscles too tight/ neck position slightly off.

If you google it, you will find a ton of info on it. It's quite common.

I got back into it after a week of break, I still had it when i started. I just went lighter, focused on my breathing and drank a lot.

Consider going to a chiropractor. I didn't go myself, but have been told it helps a lot, because part of the exertion headache is due to very tight upper neck muscles which can surely be relaxed by a pro

s0ysizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ysizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ysizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ysizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ysizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ysizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ysizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ysizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ysizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ysizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ysizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with the post about overexertion and neck tension. Once, I was in the middle of doing burpees and decided to push myself even though I was exhausted. My form slacked and I ended up extending my neck a little too much as I was looking up during the jump motion. I ended up having the most painful headache of my life.. I literally sat on the ground for 10 minutes just trying to gather myself. For about a month after that, I had recurring headaches while working out. Moral of the story is, watch your stay hydrated, watch your breathing and watch your form!