Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000)

Training For Senior Professional Bodybuilding Contests

My name is Scott "Old Navy" Hults. I am a retired U.S. Navy Captain. I got the nickname, "Old Navy" from my fellow gym rats while I was preparing to enter my first bodybuilding contest in 2004 at the age of 61. My training was intense. The guys would say things like, "Hey, Old Navy, slow down man, take it easy, you aren't that young anymore." What they didn't understand was, to me, age is a statistic not a burden. Nevertheless, I like the nickname so I kept it.

In March of 2005, after training for 10 months, I entered my first bodybuilding competition, a non-tested NPC event. In the following 21 months I entered 15 more tested and non-tested contests, winning 32 weight, height, age class and Best Poser (3) trophies, including the 2006 FAME WNSO Men's Masters 60+ World Championship in Toronto in June, and at 63 years of age, my Masters Pro Card at the 2006 NGA National Bodybuilding & Figure World Championships in Georgia in September and a second Masters Pro Card at the 2006 IDFA Canadian Classic II in Toronto in November 2006.

Along the way, www.Bodybuilding.com named me "Amateur Bodybuilder of the Week" in 2005 www.bodybuilders.com/hults.htm,"Over 40 Amateur Bodybuilder of the Week" in 2006 www.bodybuilders.com/scotth.htm. and the "2006 Over 40 Amateur Bodybuilder of the Year." http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbcom_bestof2006.htm

I will enter my first Natural Professional competition, the 2007 Olympic Gold Junior Professional Championship in Salt Lake City, Utah on May 12th. I am also the Guest Poser for the show. Then I will enter the 2007 NGA Pro/Am in Duluth, Georgia on September 8th. This is the show where I won my first Masters Pro Card. I will continue training to enter the 2007 Master Pro Class of the IDFA Canadian Classic III in Toronto six weeks later; at the same venue where I won my second Masters Pro Card this year.

I stepped onto the stage in Toronto at the Canadian Classic II weighing 141 pounds. I entered this contest about three pounds fuller than any other contest I entered in 2006. My goal for my first Pro Show is to compete somewhere between 150 and 155 pounds. This is the challenge. I will focus on heavy lifting with fewer reps in order to add size. Of course, I will intersperse this with endurance work and maintenance work (hardening) along the way.

I am also a National Federation of Professional Trainers (NFPT) - Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) and run an Internet based Distance Training business through my web site www.BodyBuildingSenior.com. I have clients in California, Wyoming, Indiana, Florida, Georgia and Washington, DC. Some of my clients are training for bodybuilding competitions and some are working on conditioning. Additionally, I train athletes one-on-one and am taking one of my trainees a 41 year-old Novice and Master 40+ competitor to his first bodybuilding competition in Georgia on April 7th. I will be a test judge at the show, the 2007 FAME SNBF Georgia Open in Marietta and a regular judge at the 2007 OCB Spirit of America in Plymouth, Mass on April 21st. All this while I continue my contest prep for my own show on May 12th. It's turning out to be a busy Spring.

My journal is posted in the Workout Journal forum and in my BodySpace thread. I will begin posting my journal in the Over 35 forum.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Old Navy; 03-31-2007 at 02:36 PM.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults
    Natural Master Professional Bodybuilder
    Master Certified Personal Trainer
    Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Contest Judge
    Show Promoter, Posing Coach

My Web Site: www.BodyBuildingSenior.com

Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000) Old Navy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Monday, April 2, 2007 - Four Days Until Bruce's Weigh In, Six Weeks Until My Contest

My training partner, Bruce, is spending the week with his family in Florida. He has the final week of his contest prep training plan with him and I assume he it working it.

Meanwhile, I am focusing on my own contest prep for my first Pro Show on May 12th. Today I began a two-week Hypertrophy/Strength Training Plan:

Monday's Workout

Incline Bench Press - 4 x 4 (155 pounds)
    Flat Dumb Bell Press - 4 x 4 (75 pound dumb bells)
    High Pulls - 4 x 4 (160 pounds on the machine)
    Laterals - 3 x 6 each way (side, bent) (30 pound dumb bells)
    Press down - 4 x 6 (75 pounds)
    After the weight training, I did 30 minutes of moderate tread mill (10 degree elevation, 4.5 speed)
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

This is the second day of two-weeks of Hypertrophy Strength Training. The Plan calls for heavy weight and low reps.

Holding at 159.0 body weight.
    Workout Day 2:
    Leg Press ? 4 x 4 (300 pounds)
    Squats ? 4 x 6 (300 pounds)
    Hack Squat ? 4 x 5 (300 pounds)
    Leg Curl ? 5 x 4 (125 pounds)
    Leg Extension ? 3 x 4 (150 pounds)
    Seated Calf Raises ? 3 x 25 (150 pounds)
    I ended this session with 20 minutes of moderate cardio on the tread mill.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Looking good Old Navy !

Good luck in your show.

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wow -- you're an inspiration. And to think, I was impressed with myself for doing my first figure show at 43. Your photos are great (as is your contest history) and you really look like you're having fun with it!

Best wishes to you in your shows this year!
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

Thanks, Chi_town and Hibiscus09. I appreciate your interest.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Hypertrophy/Strength Training

Workout - Week One, Day 3

Today's training focused on cardio, abs and posing.

I did 100 hanging leg lifts and 100 crunches. I completed a 30-minute moderate tread mill run and ended the workout with a posing practice session.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Crossing the Boards from Contestant to Judge

Sunday, April 8, 2007 - I am officially a member of the FAME WNSO SNBF Judging Panel.

I sat at the table as a regular contest judge for the first time on Saturday at the 2007 FAME WNSO SNBF Georgia Open Championship, a men's and women's Pro Qualifier. I was originally scheduled to be a test judge at the show, but the head judge, who has judged me in several FAME shows, said he was waving the "test" judging and said I would take my seat at the judge's table and my scores, along with the other four judges, would count. There were 92 contestants, not including crossovers. It was the largest SNBF show ever and the event was sold out, with standing room only tickets going for $15 and selling out, too.

After prejudging, the Head Judge said he analyzed my scoring and determined I was very close to the consensus of opinion in every class and that for my first judging stint, especially at a show this large, I did a good job. After the show, He said he was also impressed when he listened in on the feed back I gave to contestants who came up to the judges after the competition to ask how they could improve and to point out special weaknesses they need to work on.

He immediately recommended to Bruce Johnson, the president of the SNBF that I be added to the permanent roster of contest judges for the federation. Bruce agreed. I'm certified, and have already been asked to judge at upcoming FAME SNBF shows. Sweet.

I really learned a lot judging this competition that I will use the next time I step onto a stage (in five weeks). I learned how really important conditioning is (a few pounds can make a great difference. A small amount of held water can be devastating) and how hard you really have to pose to show your muscles in the best light. Those who did, scored well and those who were tentative or "weak," scored lower. I was astounded as I watched contestants actually get harder with each pose. I also watched with interest as contestants actually got softer as they lost their focus or strength. I will certainly keep this in mind when I'm up there again.

It was interesting, to say the least, after competing 16 times and looking down at the judges and audience, to be sitting there, looking up at the competitors with a clip board and score sheet in my hands.

I have competed in seven FAME events. As a judge, I can no longer compete in this federation, including in their Pro Shows. It's the only thing I had to give up when I accepted certification as a contest judge. I'm glad I accepted. As an athlete who has competed (and will continue to compete in other federations), I know I will be a judge who understands fully what it takes to bring your "A" package to the stage to play your "A" game and I will be able to judge each contestant with that in mind.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I made it to pre-judge yesterday morning at the SNBF Georgia. Good show...I was really impressed by the turnout in both the number of competitors and the number of people in attendance (usually pre-judgings are typically pretty empty, but this one was packed)...and I was also very impressed by the condition of the competitors. Wow...that was definitely the most competitive natural show I've ever been to.

Well, aside from NPC Team Universe...which is "natural"...though I assume that it's not "natural" the same way that SNBF / FAME are natural.

Anyway, are the results up anywhere? I didn't really know anyone in the show, but I am interested to see how it turned out...didn't make the night show.

By the way, congrats on earning your judge status! It must be hard to let go of the ability to compete in the federation!!
    $157 billion creates 650,000 jobs = $240,000 cost to create or save 1 job

Originally Posted by j_neatherlin View Post
    I made it to pre-judge yesterday morning at the SNBF Georgia. Good show...I was really impressed by the turnout in both the number of competitors and the number of people in attendance (usually pre-judgings are typically pretty empty, but this one was packed)...and I was also very impressed by the condition of the competitors. Wow...that was definitely the most competitive natural show I've ever been to.

Well, aside from NPC Team Universe...which is "natural"...though I assume that it's not "natural" the same way that SNBF / FAME are natural.

Anyway, are the results up anywhere? I didn't really know anyone in the show, but I am interested to see how it turned out...didn't make the night show.

By the way, congrats on earning your judge status! It must be hard to let go of the ability to compete in the federation!!
    Yes, it was an outstanding show. 92 competitors, not including crossovers. The results are posted on the web site: www.snbf.com

I really enjoyed competing as an amateur in FAME SNBF, but as a Master Pro, I will continue competing in NGA and IDFA (Canada) Pro Shows. I am going to try for a third Master Pro card in June at the NPA Pro Qualifier in Virginia. Then, with three Master Pro cards, I will have some interesting competition choices for the next few years. After I stop competing, I hope to stay in the game by judging contests and Personal Training athletes for Bodybuilding competitions.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 ? Five Weeks until my Weigh In
    I weighed 157.6. My target weight is 150.0, 4% body fat

Bruce is training with me, but as this is my contest prep, he is supporting me.

I began a new program today that will take me to my first Pro Contest on May 12.

To maximize fat loss the plan involves four types of training:

1. Heavy lifting

2. Lactate-inducing lifting

3. Aerobic work

4. Anaerobic alactic energy systems work

Today I did my first Lactate-inducing lifting. It was incredible. I was drained after this workout.

Lactate-inducing lifting

The objective of a lactate-inducing session is to stimulate growth hormone release (as well as burn a lot of calories for fuel) via a whole-body lactate production. The more the numbers of muscles are involved in the process, the more effective the session will be. So in that regard we respect these guidelines:

1. Work the whole body

2. Minimize rest-intervals (or maximize the work-to-rest ratio)

3. Use sets lasting 50-70 seconds (12-20 reps)

4. Alternate exercises for muscle groups that are far away from each other and "unrelated"

CIRCUIT A: (12-15 reps per set)

A1. Bench Press
    A2. Hack Squat
    A3. Cable Row
    A4. Leg Curl
    A5. Knee Raise

No rest between exercises within the circuit (or as little as possible). Perform the circuit three times.

CIRCUIT B (15-20 reps per set)

B1. Push press
    B2. Lunge
    B3. Close grip chin
    B4. Dead Lift
    B5. Incline Sit Up

No rest between exercises within the circuit (or as little as possible). Perform the circuit three times.

CIRCUIT C ? (15-20 reps per set)

C1. Dumbbell Curl
    C2. Calve raise
    C3. Triceps Extension
    C4. Crunch on Exercise Ball
    C5. Upright Row

The lactate-inducing sessions are performed twice a week; they should not be performed before a heavy lifting session to avoid a decrease in performance. Limit strength is something that cannot be trained efficiently in a fatigued state.

After the Circuits, I ended the session with 30 minutes of moderate cardio, designed to blow off the built up lactic acid.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Congrats on being certified to judge! How exciting!

The lactate inducing lifting sounds painful. I just read the article on t-nation by Christian Thibaudeau that outlines this program. I hope you do well with it!
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

Originally Posted by Hibiscus09 View Post
    Congrats on being certified to judge! How exciting!

The lactate inducing lifting sounds painful. I just read the article on t-nation by Christian Thibaudeau that outlines this program. I hope you do well with it!

Thanks, I plan to work it as hard as I can.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 30 Days Until My Weigh In
    Weight: 156.6 - Target 150.0

"The Shark," a predator that keeps moving, is cruel, and eats it's young!

To maximize fat loss, "The Shark" includes four different types of training:
    1. Heavy lifting
    3. Aerobic work
    Today was dedicated to Aerobic work
    After doing 100 hanging leg lifts (50 weighted) and 100 slant board crunches, I did a HITT cardio session (speed sprints followed by elevated tread mill) for 30 minutes. I ended the session with a hard practice posing round. Judging the contest last Saturday reminded me how hard you have to hit each pose during the symmetry and mandatory rounds. I will practice posing every day until my show.

A note about my Training Partner, Bruce. We spoke today about his competition and his future plans. Bruce has decided not to do any more shows. He feels, because of family considerations, he is going to build on what he has accomplished and will continue training and dieting to maintain a healthy lifestyle. We also agreed, because I need to continue focusing on contest prep for my competitions, we will no longer train together. I will continue my training solo as I prepare to enter the 2007 NGA Olympic Gold Junior Pro Championships on May 12 in Salt Lake City, Utah. I wish Bruce much success and we feels the same way about me.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Thursday, April 12, 2007 - Four Weeks Until My Weigh In

Bodyweight - 156.8 - Target - 150.0

The Shark - The Predator Workout and Diet

The Fish Diet

Meal #1
    5 oz. whitefish, 3 egg whites, 1 grapefruit and 12 almonds

Meal #2
    6 oz. whitefish, 3 cup veggies

Meal #3
    6 oz. tuna or 7 oz. whitefish, 2 cups vegetables (spinach best)

Meal #4
    5 oz. Whitefish, 3 cup veggies

Meal #5
    6 oz. Whitefish, 2 cups vegetables, 12 almonds

Meal #6
    Monday and Thursday

1 cup oatmeal (precooked) or cooked rice, 10 oz. sweet potato, 6 oz. banana, 1 cup vegetables, 1 TBS butter

The workouts:

To maximize fat loss we'll need four different types of training. These four aspects of our fat loss training approach are:

1. Heavy lifting
    3. Aerobic work

Heavy lifting

The objective of the heavy lifting portion of our training is maintenance or even an increase in muscle mass while in a fat loss phase. You should have two heavy lifting sessions per week
    Day 1: Chest and Back
    Day 2: Quads and Hamstrings

This was Quads and Hamstrings Day + some Calves

A1. Leg press - 300 Pounds
    4-6 reps

No rest

A2. Full Squats - 235 Pounds
    6-8 reps

Take 2 minutes of rest, and then move on to...

B1. Stiff leg dead lift - 185 Pounds
    4-6 reps

No rest

B2. Leg curl - 110 Pounds
    6-8 reps

Take 2 minutes of rest then get back to A1. Perform each superset 5 times

C1. Calf raise - 300 pounds (seated machine)

5 sets of 25 reps (I did one 25 rep set after each A + B cycle)
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Friday, April 13, 2007 - Four Week From Today - My First Pro Show Weigh In

I have one month to go before my first bodybuilding competition of the year. My last show was in early November, six months ago. By this time last year, I had already competed three times. Last year I entered a total of 10 shows and stayed roughly the same weight and size the entire time. I needed to take six months off from competing in order to add some size, and I have. Today I had my body fat and weight checked in the gym on their computer-based body fat measuring system. My height is 5' 7". My weight was 157.0 and my body fat was 8.8%. My lean mass is around 143 pounds. I weighed 140 on stage at my last show and my body fat then was 6%. My lean mass was around 131 pounds. I have indeed added some size and I'm pumped. I have been doing lots of heavy lifting and clean eating and it has paid off. I hope to hit the stage at the 2007 Olympic Gold Junior Pro Championship in Salt Lake City, Utah at around 150 pounds with a body fat of 6% and a lean mass weight of 141 (I can't get much lower than that because of my age. I have some loose skin that won't go away). Nevertheless, I'm confident I will come in the best shape of my life for my first Pro Show. I have added size in my chest, quads, biceps and calves. I have also added a little size to my waist, but I'm working on that. LOL

Today was a moderate cardio day. I did flat crunches and reverse crunches, weighted hanging leg lifts and slant board crunches. I did about 30 minutes of elevated, moderate speed tread mill and ended my workout with a hard practice posing session. I will work out in the gym tomorrow as part of my contest prep training.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Monday, April 16, 2007 - 25 Days Until My Pro Show Weigh In

Body Weight: 156.0 - Target Weight: 150.0

The Shark ? The Predator Workout and Diet

The workouts:

To maximize fat loss we'll need four different types of training. These four aspects of our fat loss training approach are:

1. Heavy lifting

3. Aerobic work

Heavy lifting

The objective of the heavy lifting portion of our training is maintenance or even an increase in muscle mass while in a fat loss phase. You should have two heavy lifting sessions per week.

Today's workout looked like this:

A1. Incline DB press
    6 reps x 60 pound dumbbells
    No rest (or 10 sec. to change exercises)

A2. Dumb Bell Flies
    8 reps x 40 pound dumbbells

B1. Weighted Chins
    6 reps x 25 pound plate
    No rest

B2. Bent over rows
    8 reps x 75 pounds
    Take 2 minutes of rest then get back to A1.

Perform each superset 5 times. Then add:

C1. Curls
    3 sets of 6 reps x 30 pound dumb bells

D1. Press downs
    3 sets of 6 reps x 70 pounds

I followed this workout with a 30 minute HITT Cardio session of 20 second speed splits at 10 degrees elevation and 8.0 speed on the tread mill, followed by 10 minutes of cool down. I ended today with practice posing of symmetry and mandatory rounds.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 24 Days Until My First Pro Show Weigh In

I weighed 156.0 - Target Weight is 150.0

Lactate-inducing lifting

The objective of a lactate-inducing session is to stimulate growth hormone release (as well as burn a lot of calories for fuel) via a whole-body lactate production. The more the numbers of muscles are involved in the process, the more effective the session will be. So in that regard I respected these guidelines:

1. Work the whole body

The specific exercises I did for this session are listed in a prior post. I completed three cycles of three sets of high reps of several exercises, alternating between upper and lower body. Then, I did a moderate 30- minute cardio workout to burn off the lactate acid buildup.

I was wasted after this session.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 23 Days Until I Check In For My First Pro Show

Today was a non-weight training day and I dedicated my time to practice posing and cardio. I went through a hard pump up and then two complete contest rounds of hitting and holding all of my poses. I ended the session with 30-minutes of moderate cardio. I will practice my posing each day until the contest. It's the only way I can be sure I will be able to be on stage for what ever length of time is required without shaking or losing my form.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 22 Days Until I Check In For My First Pro Show

I weighed 155.0 - Contest goal 150.0

Today was Legs and Calves day. I did three sets of couplets (supersets with no rest) of the following:

Machine Leg Press - 3 x 8 x 300 pounds
    Lunges - 3 x 8 x 150 pounds

Squats - 3 x 8 x 285 pounds
    Ham Curls - 3 x 8 x 125 pounds

Extensions - 3 x 8 x 150 pounds
    Seated Calf Raises - 150 pounds (3 sets of 25 reps seated + 3 sets of 25 reps standing)

Then I did 30-minutes of stationary bike, 100 abs crunches and a practice posing session. I'm feeling strong.

Tomorrow morning (Friday) I leave Birmingham at 6 AM in route to Providence, RI, to then drive to Plymouth, Massachusetts to see my Coach, Sean, "Sully" Sullivan and to help him with his show, the OCB Spirit of America, on Saturday.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Sunday, April 22, 2007

I just want to say how awesome it was to be a judge at this year's OCB Spirit of America Bodybuilding and Figure IFPA Pro Qualifier Championship in Plymouth, Massachusetts on Saturday. Last year I competed in this contest and this year, I watched it from a totally different perspective. There were 88 athletes competing. My report card is good, as my scores were very much in line with the consensus. It was a great learning experience for me as a competitor. I have now judged shows in the FAME SNBF and the OCB Federations. I have been asked to judge a NGA show in a couple of months. I know this experience will impact how I compete in future contests and I'm grateful for the opportunity to learn more about our sport.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Monday, April 23, 2007 - 18 Days Until Check In At My First Pro Show

Body Weight: 157 (I put on a few pounds over the weekend at the OCB Sprit of America) - Target 150

Heavy lifting Day
    The objective of the heavy lifting portion of this training plan is maintenance or even an increase in muscle mass while in a fat loss phase. The plan calls for two heavy lifting sessions per week.

Chest and Back Weight Training

A1. Incline Dumb Bell press - 6 x 60 pound dumb bells

No rest

A2. Dumb Bell Flies 8 x 40 pound dumb bells

B1 Medium Grip Chins 1 X 10 (full reps)

No rest

B2. Machine Lat Pull Downs 8 x 120 pounds

Take 2 minutes of rest then get back to A1. Perform each superset FIVE times.

C1. Dumb Bell Curls 3 x 6 x 30

D1. Triceps Rope Pull Downs 3 x 6 x 70

After the weight training, I did 100 slant board crunches, 200 skip ropes and a practice posing session, where I worked on my symmetry, mandatory rounds and individual posing routine.

This was a great workout.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 17 Days Until My First Pro Show Check In.

Today I did Lactate-inducing lifting. It was incredible. I was drained after this workout.

Lactate-inducing lifting

The objective of a lactate-inducing session is to stimulate growth hormone release (as well as burn a lot of calories for fuel) via a whole-body lactate production. The more the numbers of muscles are involved in the process, the more effective the session will be. So in that regard we respect these guidelines:

1. Work the whole body

4. Alternate exercises for muscle groups that are far away from each other and "unrelated"

A1. Bench Press
    A2. Hack Squat
    A3. Cable Row
    A4. Leg Curl
    A5. Knee Raise

No rest between exercises within the circuit (or as little as possible). Perform the circuit two times.

B1. Push press
    B2. Lunge
    B3. Close grip chin
    B4. Dead Lift
    B5. Incline Sit Up

No rest between exercises within the circuit (or as little as possible). Perform the circuit two times.

CIRCUIT C - (15-20 reps per set)

C1. Dumbbell Curl
    C2. Calve raise
    C3. Triceps Extension
    C4. Crunch on Exercise Ball
    C5. Upright Row

The lactate-inducing sessions are performed twice a week; they should not be performed before a heavy lifting session to avoid a decrease in performance. Limit strength is something that cannot be trained efficiently in a fatigued state.

After the Circuits, I ended the session with 30 minutes of moderate cardio, designed to blow off the built up lactic acid. Whew!
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 16 Days Until I Check In For My First Pro Show

Body Weight - 156.0 Target Weight - 150.0

Interval Aerobic Training

Today I focused on abs, calves and cardio:

30-minute HITT Cardio session on the tread mill with 10 degree elevation and several 20-second speed splits at 9.0 speed.

75 seated calve raises at 150 pounds and 75 standing calve raises

Hanging leg lifts with a 5-pound dumb bell held between my feet and seated abs crunches.

I ended the session with two practice posing rounds, holding each pose for 10-seconds.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 15 Days Until I Check In at My First Pro Show

I weighed 155.6. Contest Goal is 150.0

Heavy lifting

The objective of the heavy lifting portion of this training is maintenance or even an increase in muscle mass while in a fat loss phase. I have two heavy lifting sessions per week.

Day 2: Quads and Ham strings

This was Quads and Ham strings Day + some Calves

A1. Leg press - 6 x 300 Pounds

No rest

A2. Full Squats - 8 x 235 Pounds

Two minutes of rest, and then I moved on to...

B1. Stiff leg dead lift - 6 x 185 Pounds

No rest

B2. Leg curl - 8 x 125 Pounds

Two minutes of rest then I got back to A1. I Performed each superset 5 times

C1. Calf raise - 300 pounds (seated machine)

5 sets of 25 reps (I did one 25 rep set after each A + B cycle)

I did 50 abs chunches and then tried to do a practice posing session, but ran out of gas. Whew!
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Friday, April 27, 2007 - Two Weeks Until My First Pro Show

Body weight: 154.6. Contest goal. 150.0

Ex Beetle, Paul McCartney has a song. It's called "When I'm 64"

"When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now, will you still be sending me a valentine, birthday greetings, bottle of wine? When I stay out to quarter of three, will you lock the door? Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64?"

I be 64 tomorrow and my wife says, "Yes."

It has been my goal since I turned 50 to be in the best shape of my life each year, on my birthday. Today, I am in the best shape of my life and I'm grateful.
    Attached Images
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Saturday, April 28, 2007 - Exactly Two Weeks From Today I Will Be On Stage In My First Pro Contest

I weighed 155.0. Contest weight goal is 150.0 I'm looking hard and vascular

I can't think of a better way to spend part of my birthday than working out in preparation for a bodybuilding competition. I was focused, energetic and driven. With two weeks to go until the 2007 NGA Olympic Gold Junior Pro Championship in Salt Lake City, Utah, I don't have any time to waste, and I didn't waste any.

Today I did Lactate-inducing lifting. It was incredible. I was drained after this workout.

Lactate-inducing lifting

The objective of a lactate-inducing session is to stimulate growth hormone release (as well as burn a lot of calories for fuel) via a whole-body lactate production. The more the numbers of muscles are involved in the process, the more effective the session will be. So in that regard, here are the guidelines:

1. Work the whole body

A1. Bench Press - 15 x 150
    A2. Hack Squat - 15 x 235
    A3. Cable Row - 15 x 125
    A4. Leg Curl - 15 x 125
    A5. Knee Raise 15 x each knee

B1. Push press - 20 x 125 pounds
    B2. Lunge 20 x 130
    B3. Close grip chin 20 (some rest to get them all done)
    B4. Dead Lift 20 x 140
    B5. Incline Sit Up - 20

CIRCUIT C ? (15-20 reps per set)

C1. Dumbbell Curl - 20 x 25
    C2. Calve raise - 25 x 300
    C3. Triceps Extension 20 x 50
    C4. Crunch on Exercise Ball 20
    C5. Upright Row 20 x 100

After the Circuits, I ended the session with 30 minutes of moderate cardio, designed to blow off the built up lactic acid. After I returned home, I did a practice posing session. I will do a couple more practice posing sessions during the weekend.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12 Days Until My First Pro Show

Body Weight: 155.8 Contest Goal: 150.0

News Flash

I have decided to compete this Saturday in the NPC Vulcan Classic in Birmingham, Alabama. Quite a few of my gym budds are competing in this non Pro-Qualifier and I feel it will be a great warm-up show for my Natural Pro debut a week later in Salt Lake City, Utah. I will compete in the Men's Master 50+ and Men's Master 60+ Classes. So, I am now in a final week contest prep mode. This will be my first show since I won my Master Pro Card in Toronto last November. I'm pumped.

Today I did an upper body, core workout with 6-8 rep sets of heavy weights, followed by a moderate cardio session. I will do more cardio this evening and complete a couple of practice posing rounds.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Originally Posted by OldNavy
    "When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now, will you still be sending me a valentine, birthday greetings, bottle of wine? When I stay out to quarter of three, will you lock the door? Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64?"

I be 64 tomorrow and my wife says, "Yes."
    I'm glad she says, "Yes."

I hope you had a wonderful 64th birthday celebration! Happy Birthday!! You look fantastic!

Best wishes to you in this Saturday's competition.

Originally Posted by Hibiscus09 View Post
    I'm glad she says, "Yes."

I hope you had a wonderful 64th birthday celebration! Happy Birthday!! You look fantastic!

Best wishes to you in this Saturday's competition.
    Thank you. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully, I will come in harder and leaner the following week after preping for this week.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults

Tuesday, May 2, 2007
    Four Days Until My First Show of 2007, 11 Days Until My First Pro Show

2007 NPC Vulcan Classic, Birmingham, AL, May 5
    2007 NGA Olympic Gold Junior Pro Championship, Salt Lake City, UT, May 12

Weight: 154.0 (I'm a Lightweight). Contest Goal: 150.0

Here is my Final Week Contest Cutting Diet for both of these contests:

Sunday - 2 Gal. Water, light salt

Meal 1: 8 egg whites, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 8 oz grapefruit juice
    Meal 2: 6 oz salmon, 1/2 cup brown rice, salad or vegetablesMeal 3: 6 oz chicken, 2 cups vegetables, 8 oz grapefruit juice
    Meal 4: 6 oz chicken, 1/2 cup brown rice, salad or vegetables
    Meal 5: 6 oz salmon, 3 cups salad, 8 oz grapefruit juic
    Training: None

Cardio: None

Posing: 1 set, hold each pose for 10 seconds

Monday - 2 Gal. Water, light salt

Meal 2: 6 oz salmon, 1/2 cup brown rice, salad or vegetables
    Meal 3: 6 oz chicken, 2 cups vegetables, 8 oz grapefruit juice
    Meal 5: 6 oz salmon, 3 cups salad, 8 oz grapefruit juice

Training: AM Leg flexes, 10 sets of 30 seconds, leg extensions, isometric hold 3 times, hold for 40 seconds

Training: PM Upper body power style, 3-4 sets per body part, 4-6 reps per set, 40 seconds rest between sets, core movements

Cardio: AM, 25 minutes moderate

Cardio: PM, light treadmill or jog 20 minutes

Posing: AM 1 set, hold each pose for 10 seconds

Posing: PM, 1 set, hold each pose for 15 seconds

Tuesday - 2 Gal. Water, light salt

Meal 2: 6 oz salmon, 1/2 cup brown rice, salad or vegetables
    Meal 3: 6 oz chicken, 2 cups vegetables, 8 oz grapefruit juice
    Meal 5: 6 oz salmon, 3 cups salad, 8 oz grapefruit juice

Training: AM Leg flex, 10 sets of 30 seconds, leg extensions, isometric hold 3 times for 40 seconds

Training: PM Chest, Delts and Triceps, 3-5 sets of 3-5 different isolation movement for 40-50 reps, rest 30 seconds between sets and hold a hard flex for 15 seconds between sets

Cardio: AM, 25 minutes moderate

Cardio: PM, light treadmill or jog 15 minutes

Posing: AM 1 set, hold each pose for 15 seconds

Posing: PM, 1 set, hold each pose for 20 seconds

Wednesday: Water: 1.5 gallon ? Light Salt

Meal 1: 6 egg whites + 1/2 grapefruit
    Meal 2: 6 oz fish + 2 cup veggies
    Meal 3: 6 oz chicken + 2 cup veggies
    Meal 4: 6 oz chicken + 1/2 grapefruit
    Meal 5: 6 egg whites + 3 cups salad

Training: AM: Leg Flex 10 X 30 sec. & leg ext. isometric holds 3 X 40 sec.
    PM: Light upper body workout, keep the reps in the 12-15 range and do
    6-8 sets per body part (no legs) then twice through the mandatory.

Cardio: AM & PM 25 min treadmill @ 3.5 mph, flat (no incline)

Posing: AM: 1 X 20 seconds each
    PM: 2 X 20 seconds each

Thursday: Water: 1.5 gallon - Light Salt

Meal 1: 6 egg whites + 1/2 grapefruit
    Meal 2: 6 oz fish + 2 cup veggies
    Meal 3: 6 oz chicken + 2 cup veggies
    Meal 4: 6 oz chicken + 1/2 grapefruit
    Meal 5: 1 cups oats, 4 oz. sweet potato, 1/2 banana, 1 cups green beans, 1 tablespoon peanut butter

Training: Leg Flex 10 X 30

Cardio: AM & PM 20 min 3.5 flat

Posing: AM: 2 X 20 seconds each
    PM: 2 X 20 seconds each

Friday: Water: 1.5 gallon - Lightly Salt Meal 1-3 and then cut Salt

Meal 1: 6 oz 93% lean beef + 1/2 grapefruit
    Meal 2: 4 oz 93% lean beef + 1/2 grapefruit
    Meal 3: 6 oz chicken + 1/2 grapefruit
    Meal 4: 4 oz 93% lean beef + 1/2 grapefruit
    Meal 5: 6 oz turkey + 1/2 grapefruit

Training: none

Cardio: AM & PM 15 min 3.5 flat

Posing: As necessary through the day

Saturday:

Meal 1: 4 oz 93% lean beef + 1/2 grapefruit
    Meal 2: 2 oz chicken + 1/2 sweet potato
    Meal 3: 2 oz chicken + 1/2 sweet potato
    Meal 4: 2 oz chicken and 1 sweet potato

Sodium: only what is in listed foods

45 min before pump-up: Snickers bar or 3 rice cakes with natural peanut butter and a hot coffee or tea to bring out the vascularity

20 min. before Pump-up: sip some Gatorade, but not too much. I'll have lots of carb in me at that point so I should be nice and full and hard.

Water: Keep water high so the carbs have something to work with. Don't cut it back at all, keep to 1.5 gals. (this is for the Pro Show, which is judged at one time.) The show this weekend is split between morning prejudging and the evening show. For this one I will cut back some water.
    Last edited by Old Navy; 05-01-2007 at 06:22 PM.
    Scott "Old Navy" Hults