Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    genxsis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) genxsis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Is white bread bad? Why?

I've heard white bread is bad for us because it is so refined and our bodies treat it like sugar. I've been eating whole grain bread for a little while now as a result and don't like it as much.

The nutritional info on the wrapper is almost identical to white bread. So what is really the difference?

stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000)

Originally Posted by genxsis View Post
    I've heard white bread is bad for us because it is so refined and our bodies treat it like sugar. I've been eating whole grain bread for a little while now as a result and don't like it as much.

The nutritional info on the wrapper is almost identical to white bread. So what is really the difference?
    It's refined, and our bodies treat it like sugar.

The main difference is in how the wheat flour is processed, of which the ingredient list doesn't give an indication.

IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by stahlhart View Post
    It's refined, and our bodies treat it like sugar.

The main difference is in how the wheat flour is processed, of which the ingredient list doesn't give an indication.
    Whew! Thank God it doesn't treat it like starch!
    Any workout you can walk away from is a good workout.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by genxsis View Post

In general, the more processed a food is (in this case bleached, hulled, then ground), the more of an insulin spike it gives us, usually nutrition is lost, as well as fiber. Often, the nutrition is added back in.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    In general, the more processed a food is (in this case bleached, hulled, then ground), the more of an insulin spike it gives us, usually nutrition is lost, as well as fiber. Often, the nutrition is added back in.
    ...and besides all that whole grain bread tastes good just by itself, white bread requires lots and lots of butter to be palatable!

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by IdahoViking View Post
    ...and besides all that whole grain bread tastes good just by itself, white bread requires lots and lots of butter to be palatable!
    I agree, though whole wheat pasta tastes like compressed crap stix.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

My Dogs White will become famous soon enough. (+50) My Dogs White will become famous soon enough. (+50) My Dogs White will become famous soon enough. (+50) My Dogs White will become famous soon enough. (+50) My Dogs White will become famous soon enough. (+50) My Dogs White will become famous soon enough. (+50) My Dogs White will become famous soon enough. (+50) My Dogs White will become famous soon enough. (+50) My Dogs White will become famous soon enough. (+50) My Dogs White will become famous soon enough. (+50) My Dogs White will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ROFLMAO!

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yes, and brown rice and Capn Crunch are identical too on the label (except for the fiber). Doesn't mean it's ok to eat capn crunch.

It's like Dr Gott in the newspaper says, if it's white or has white stuff (sugar) mixed in it, don't eat it.

I think that a lot of people have lost weight on his No Sugar, No Flour diet.
    Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

Originally Posted by namtrag View Post
    Yes, and brown rice and Capn Crunch are identical too on the label (except for the fiber). Doesn't mean it's ok to eat capn crunch.

It's like Dr Gott in the newspaper says, if it's white or has white stuff (sugar) mixed in it, don't eat it.

I think that a lot of people have lost weight on his No Sugar, No Flour diet.
    ...isn't Cap'n Crunch with Crunch-Berries higher in fiber though, I would think the addition of those fine tasting berries must increase the nutritional value and fiber content considerably.

PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The bottom line is the fibre content.

Try to have grain breads (multigrain, soy and linseed) or wholemeal. Even fibre-enriched white bread.

If you arent getting enough fibre drink 10g psyllium husk (eg Metamucil) each day in water.

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ...isn't Cap'n Crunch with Crunch-Berries higher in fiber though, I would think the addition of those fine tasting berries must increase the nutritional value and fiber content considerably.
    And peanuts are ok with chocolate on them because they have lots of fibre lol
    Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

LTFOL.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Originally Posted by namtrag View Post
    And peanuts are ok with chocolate on them because they have lots of fibre lol
    Thanks for the tip, now I can eat my Goobers w/o feeling guilty.

Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This thread reminded me I was at the supermarket the other day with my wife when she said to me we needed more almonds (we are allowed some on low days). I grabbed a big bag of the Easter almond M&M's and said, "How about these?"

Originally Posted by Mr. Someday View Post
    This thread reminded me I was at the supermarket the other day with my wife when she said to me we needed more almonds (we are allowed some on low days). I grabbed a big bag of the Easter almond M&M's and said, "How about these?"
    Sounds good to me!

Crookshanks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Crookshanks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Crookshanks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Crookshanks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Crookshanks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Crookshanks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Crookshanks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Crookshanks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Crookshanks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Crookshanks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Crookshanks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm getting away from even 100% whole wheat flour bread to a sprouted wheat bread that replaces a lot of the wheat flour with sprouted wheat grains.

In the last 2 months I've eaten nothing other than Trader Joe's sprouted wheat bread.
    I even use it as the bun, when I fix a ground beef pattie.
    60 calories per slice
    7 grams carbs
    3 grams dietary fiber
    5 grams protein

I won't even order a Subway anymore because of the bread. I might be getting too rigid in my eating.
    "When we were children, we used to think that when we grew up we would no longer be vulnerable. But to grow up is to accept vulnerability, to be alive is to be vulnerable." Madeleine L'Engle

$BMBC$

My teams:
    Bears
    Blackhawks
    Bulls
    White Sox

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you only eat a few slices a week, it won't matter that much. While whie bread is higher than whole wheat in terms of both GI and GL, its GL of 9.4 is still in the "low" range, so it isn't going to produce a huge insulin spike (although butter will increase the insulin response). Plus, the foods you eat with the bread will affect GL and insulin response, as well.

Whole grain anything is better for you than its not-whole-grain counterpart, because the whole grain retains more nutrients and fiber, which are good things. So, in general, you want to go with the whole grain choice or, best of all, with a sprouted bread (Ezekiel bread is one).

That said, if you diet is pretty well dialed in and white bread is your only indulgence, it's not going to hurt you unless you are eating gobs of it (or prepping for a contest, which is a whole other thing).

Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees.

Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ChocolateGirl View Post
    If you only eat a few slices a week, it won't matter that much. While whie bread is higher than whole wheat in terms of both GI and GL, its GL of 9.4 is still in the "low" range, so it isn't going to produce a huge insulin spike (although butter will increase the insulin response). Plus, the foods you eat with the bread will affect GL and insulin response, as well.

Whole grain anything is better for you than its not-whole-grain counterpart, because the whole grain retains more nutrients and fiber, which are good things. So, in general, you want to go with the whole grain choice or, best of all, with a sprouted bread (Ezekiel bread is one).

That said, if you diet is pretty well dialed in and white bread is your only indulgence, it's not going to hurt you unless you are eating gobs of it (or prepping for a contest, which is a whole other thing).

Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees.

How will butter increase the insulin response ?

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1
    In a nut shell !
    Nice post !

oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Wink

White bread is the Devil's food! HAAA HHhhaaaaaaHHHhhaaaaaa!!!!
    CHECK OUT MY INTERVIEW WITH "SIMPLYSHREDDED"
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/ed-cook-interview.html

2009 Bodyspace Member of The Year!

http://www.********.com/group.php?gid=180967149598&v=info#/event.php?eid=264800703001&ref=nf

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by oldsuperman

Does that mean that anyone who eats it needs to go to church and ask for forgiveness ?

LAMO!

redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000)

Wink A little history

White bread was first for the royal familys and the workers had the less refined grains to bake with. Thus the saying" Let them eat Cake "
    RED
    Enjoy The Pump Of Life !!

IT'S NOT WHAT KIND OF CAR YOU DRIVE THAT COUNTS, IT'S THE SIZE OF THE ARM YOU HANG OUT THE WINDOW!

Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking

Originally Posted by Chi_town View Post
    Does that mean that anyone who eats it needs to go to church and ask for forgiveness ?

LAMO!
    I doubt that would help as most churches use white bread in the sacraments!!

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    like when the preacher saw the man going into a bar and said to him: My man, when you go into there, the devil follows you....

to which the drunk replied: "Thasssokay.....as long as he pays fer his own drinksss!!

and so with white bread: all carbohydrates must be broken down into simple sugar for the body to assimilate it.....just that more complex carbs with lower glycemic indexes require more time to do it, thus limiting the amount of insulin secretion.

so, there may not really be the devil to pay for having white bread, but as pointed out, moderation for the bodybuilder, as he/she should for most high glycemic carbs.......

try the breads from the health food stores, in the frozen section, and you will never go back to supermarket breads......

the so called "whole grain" breads in the supermarket are colored and trumped up white breads......

look for FOOD FOR LIFE brand, for example......get the ones that are made with no flour....that's right, flourless breads.......

oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Red face Heavenly food!

Originally Posted by oldsuperman View Post
    All tho, I'm convinced that Krispy Kreams are Heavenly! I eat them five minutes after my competition and then I eat Dove semi-sweet chocolate. MMmmmmmm.... can't wait!
    CHECK OUT MY INTERVIEW WITH "SIMPLYSHREDDED"
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/ed-cook-interview.html

2009 Bodyspace Member of The Year!

http://www.********.com/group.php?gid=180967149598&v=info#/event.php?eid=264800703001&ref=nf

domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I only eat Ezekiel 4:9 bread.

They make it in Sesame and Cinnamon raisin along with the other whole grain stuff. I keep it in the freezer, because it's got no preservatives in it. I drop a couple slices in the toaster and it's ready for enjoyment.

It did take awhile to get used to it, but it is the healthiest bread you can eat.
    HST is my choice of training
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/index.html

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Domineaux: the Eziekiel is very good...however, once you "unfreeze" them, in the fridgy, they don't go bad.....

the trick is to always keep it in the refrigerator......if you leave it out at room temperature, it is gone.

I have NEVER had a loaf of any of these breads go bad when you let them thaw out and keep them in the fridge....

of course, they don't last more than a week also and that helps.....

yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000)

Talking Dad gummit!

I just bought a pack of whole wheat pasta the other day. Haven't cooked it yet. What kind of sauce goes good with Crap Stix ?
    Lion or Sheep. It's your Choice.
    Life is short but it is W I D E.
    Life draws without an eraser.

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Barilla Plus and Ronzoni Healthy Harvest are both whole grain blends that taste pretty good. Not quite the same as having whole wheat, but a whole lot better for you than regular white pasta.

Originally Posted by Ironized View Post
    How will butter increase the insulin response ?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

I can't find the study I want right now, but for some reason, the body treats butter + carb differently than other fats + carb.