TheChrisJung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trainers at 24 hour fitness

Hey wassup everyone
    I did a search on trainers here on the forums and it seems like the general consensus is that some well qualified trainers may be beneficial to begining lifters.
    So i was wondering if anyone has had any expereince with the trainers at 24 hour fitness. I did a trial sessions with one of the guys who seemed to know what he was talking about technique wise. But I have also read alot of Stuart McRoberts and articles on this site so I dont know if hiring a trainer (if 24 hour fitness trainers are any good) is worth it.

THanks

slipknot9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slipknot9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slipknot9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slipknot9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slipknot9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slipknot9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slipknot9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slipknot9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slipknot9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) slipknot9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Trainer

My opinion, If you have the cash to do it go for it otherwise there ripping you off big time. $100 a lesson where i live. too expensive for me. Good luck

HMFIC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HMFIC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs down

Do not waste your time. They are only trained for a week to become a "certified" 24-Hour Fitness trainer. You probally know more than they do. Do your research here and forget them. I would not even use one as a spotter.
    Work Smarter Not Harder

DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000)
    I regret that I have to lift at a 24 hour fitness. It's less than 5 min from my house though, so I can't beat that. At least nobody uses the squat racks.

The trainers at the one I am at look somewhat useless. I guess I expect a personal trainer to look like a badass, but most of these people need some work. Also, If I ever hired a trainer I would expect them to kick my ass every day. I guess that isn't there fault though 'cause the people that work out there are a bunch of f'in yuppies!

SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    24 hour fitness trainers are a joke for the most part

I was a trainer there but i had a national cert, had lost 70 lbs, knew how to train and competed in bodybuilding after the weight loss. So i looked the part and pushed my clients.

The powers that be wont let you be a good trainer. you must push their ****ty supps and they want the trainers to use lame training techniques!

so i left and own a supp store

i laugh whenever i am at the gym at look at their out of shape trainers doing things with clients that will never get results.

DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good for you! I totally agree with you about their training methods. They always have their clients doing all kinds of crazy stuff. Cables attached to belts, attached to various appendages, all on top of a swiss ball. Where do they come up with this stuff? The stuff that they make their female clients do is the worst. I'm no personal trainer, but training men and women can't be that different as far as exercises.

SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperBBGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by DallasLynx
    Good for you! I totally agree with you about their training methods. They always have their clients doing all kinds of crazy stuff. Cables attached to belts, attached to various appendages, all on top of a swiss ball. Where do they come up with this stuff? The stuff that they make their female clients do is the worst. I'm no personal trainer, but training men and women can't be that different as far as exercises.
    nope training no diff just reps and wieght depending on goal

the funniest on is someone who need to lose 100+ pounds paying to have trainer watch them do cruches WTF!! like crunches is gonna get rid of the gut!

and teh weird pancake looking thing that has air in it and they are doing squats on it with no weight

<rolls eyes>

thier clients look the same week after week , month after month, yr after yr!

Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ha Ha that's funny. I train at a 24 hour fitness and they pretty much do everthing everyone has listed so far, at mine they keep everyone on machines. I love it though they have everything I need and nobody ever uses the squat rack so it's like my own personnal area when I show up.

And to the poster of this thread just read, read, read it will be far better worth it than wasting your money.

PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I went to a 24 hour fitness gym one time with my brother in law and the personal trainer was trying to tell a girl she had a spine misalignment and that she needed certain excercises to help solve the problem.

BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoogie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Dont waste your $$. you can find everything you need to know online. Or you could go pick up a book. Trainers show you what to do. When you teach yourself, you learn not just what but why as well.

Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think 24 hour is a mediocre gym, there is def better out there. At the one I go to, there was a guy there, who imo, was about a certified as certfied gets. He competed in competitions, and was very knowledgable about what I needed to do.

But that's one in... how many?
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

-ohashi

TheChrisJung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow
    Thanks for the enlightnening posts. I would have wasted alot of time and money following his routines as opposed to the ones I have researched in Brawn and on this site

Big T-Rex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

LOL...

Funny, but true.
    Do not waste your time. They are only trained for a week to become a "certified" 24-Hour Fitness trainer. You probally know more than they do. Do your research here and forget them. I would not even use one as a spotter. [/QUOTE]

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by DallasLynx
    Same thing at Ballys. I think they do this fancy s**t because they think it makes them appear to be knowledgeable when in actualilty those of us who know better see them for the incompetent fools that they are.

And those fit balls are the biggest joke around.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

thegeneral4444 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegeneral4444 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegeneral4444 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegeneral4444 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegeneral4444 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegeneral4444 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegeneral4444 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegeneral4444 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegeneral4444 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegeneral4444 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegeneral4444 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Fit Balls No Joke

Fit balls are great for doing varied crunches and back extensions. Sure you cannot use much weight if any, but they help enormously for the elderly and beginners. When I had a back injury I put the ball against the wall and did wall squats. There are a very good tool for flexibility and balance. Many amateur and pro bodybuilders use these as a tool.

PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100) PopTart6 is not very well liked. (-100)

Re: Fit Balls No Joke

Originally posted by thegeneral4444
    Fit balls are great for doing varied crunches and back extensions. Sure you cannot use much weight if any, but they help enormously for the elderly and beginners. When I had a back injury I put the ball against the wall and did wall squats. There are a very good tool for flexibility and balance. Many amateur and pro bodybuilders use these as a tool.
    Thats nice....ok now get back to your bouncy ball.

Throwback is just really nice. (+1000) Throwback is just really nice. (+1000) Throwback is just really nice. (+1000) Throwback is just really nice. (+1000) Throwback is just really nice. (+1000) Throwback is just really nice. (+1000) Throwback is just really nice. (+1000) Throwback is just really nice. (+1000) Throwback is just really nice. (+1000) Throwback is just really nice. (+1000) Throwback is just really nice. (+1000)

Re: Trainers at 24 hour fitness

Originally posted by TheChrisJung
    Hey wassup everyone
    I did a search on trainers here on the forums and it seems like the general consensus is that some well qualified trainers may be beneficial to begining lifters.
    So i was wondering if anyone has had any expereince with the trainers at 24 hour fitness. I did a trial sessions with one of the guys who seemed to know what he was talking about technique wise. But I have also read alot of Stuart McRoberts and articles on this site so I dont know if hiring a trainer (if 24 hour fitness trainers are any good) is worth it.

THanks
    trainers are NOT a rip off. If you dont know what the hell you are doing they can plan a good program for you. I myself did the research and planned out (with the help of others here) a great workout program and diet. I still occasionally use a trainer to make sure my form is correct. For example, I just recently started incorporating dead lifts into my workouts. I hired a trainer for my next 2 sessions when doing DL's because my form was terrible. The $80.00 I spent was much less than back surgery, and is better than being in traction for the next 6 months.

I dont think anyone needs a trainer full time .. that is a waste. But you should consult a trainer to get proper form down, and also plan your diet and routine if you dont have time to do the research yourself.

just be very selective when choosing a trainer, I interviewed 3 before finding one I was comfortable with.
    Last edited by Throwback; 12-31-2003 at 11:51 AM.

Lilman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a training certification but Thats not what I do for a living.

Most trainers I see at the gyms here dont push clients at all and after about 12 weeks and very little results the clients usually dont even come back to the gym.

If your a beginner a trainer may help you get started but as you progress and advance you will have to research and study a lot on your on.There is a lot of great advice on these boards use it to your advantage.

As far as a personal trainer is concerned talk to them and watch them awhile ask about referances and even ask if they have some before and after pics of clients .

Just remember the trainer should be working toward teaching you to be able to live a fitness lifestyle on your on . Not trying to keep you dependant on them.
    Lilman
    Find 'em Hot Leave 'em wet

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)

Re: Fit Balls No Joke

Originally posted by thegeneral4444
    Fit Balls are good only in very isolated instances such as yours and possibly for athletes as a training aid. I cannot see how they are of benefit to a beginner who has enough difficulty getting the basic coordination down of an exercise without the additional burden of trying to keep balanced on a ball. Balls can also be dangerous. Lifting should be done on flat, immovable surface. I have seen many trainers using these balls for beginners and I think it is in most cases highly inappropriate.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Originally posted by Lilman
    I have a training certification but Thats not what I do for a living.

Most trainers I see at the gyms here dont push clients at all and after about 12 weeks and very little results the clients usually dont even come back to the gym.

If your a beginner a trainer may help you get started but as you progress and advance you will have to research and study a lot on your on.There is a lot of great advice on these boards use it to your advantage.

As far as a personal trainer is concerned talk to them and watch them awhile ask about referances and even ask if they have some before and after pics of clients .

Just remember the trainer should be working toward teaching you to be able to live a fitness lifestyle on your on . Not trying to keep you dependant on them.
    Excellent advice. I would add that one observe a trainer during a session with another client. Watch in particular if the trainer has and uses a WRITTEN plan for the client and does more than act as a "professional rep counter".

Many people would more wisely spend their money on one good book on bodybuilding and a one year magazine subscription to one of the major BB magazines.

Txpala94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It might just depend on the place and people working at that 24hr. My brother and I both started with a personal trainer and they kicked the crap out of us, mostly because we didn't cry about it. We both had been lifting before we joined 24hr. but we were not on the right program for what we wanted and they were a great help to us. They helped us with our forms and what exercises and how many reps, how much we rest before we do our next set, putting variety into our workout program. I have been on the fat burning program for about 1-1/2yr and have lost about 20lbs, I still need to fix my diet more.
    The young lady who trained my brother can put a good workout program for people and I've been thinking about getting with her for some lessons. I was with one for 5 sessions but now that I have advanced some, I need more variety in my routine but before I do that I'll see what's on this forum to help me out.
    Oh, I'm new here and this place will be helpfull.

Originally posted by Txpala94
    It might just depend on the place and people working at that 24hr. My brother and I both started with a personal trainer and they kicked the crap out of us, mostly because we didn't cry about it. We both had been lifting before we joined 24hr. but we were not on the right program for what we wanted and they were a great help to us. They helped us with our forms and what exercises and how many reps, how much we rest before we do our next set, putting variety into our workout program. I have been on the fat burning program for about 1-1/2yr and have lost about 20lbs, I still need to fix my diet more.
    The young lady who trained my brother can put a good workout program for people and I've been thinking about getting with her for some lessons. I was with one for 5 sessions but now that I have advanced some, I need more variety in my routine but before I do that I'll see what's on this forum to help me out.
    Oh, I'm new here and this place will be helpfull.
    Welcome to the site. You may learn enough here that you may not need a trainer.

POED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by egoatdoor
    ( Don Ross on personal trainers, Flex Magazine, January,1992) "Remember when trainers had students, not clients There's a big difference. Students learn to how to formulate their own workouts and train on their own. Clients are taken through workouts without explanation..they are expected to remain trainer dependent."
    Still oh so true today!
    That line in your signature is classic for this thread and remains true even 12 years after it appeared in print.

The purpose of personal trainers in gyms is to boost profits, not to make make people healthier. I work out at a 24-Hour Fitness. Some of the trainers are OK and some are mediocre. The good ones have been there for awhile and have built up a client base and reputation. They get the majority of their clients from referrals, not from the sales staff. The problem I see it is the person who walks in off the street, has never worked out before and is sold a training program, and then gets an inexperienced or poor trainer.

If you are going to hire a trainer, get as much advice as possible and do not be afraid to ask questions or question the trainer's techniques. Remember the most important thing - it's your money.

goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goatscrot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DallasLynx
    The trainers at the one I am at look somewhat useless. I guess I expect a personal trainer to look like a badass, but most of these people need some work.
    Ditto for the 24 hour gym here in my neighborhood.
    I'll mess with Texas.

stayhova has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking cetified trainers LMAO

hey if you got money to waste go ahead and give me some. take a certification test for a couple hundred bucks and u can be a personal trainer too. personal trainer are no more experienced than u probably. there are sum good 1s out there but screw that. time and experience should be your gage. soccer moms and white collar dudes need personal trainers you shouldn't. and dam people begnners should read books and magazines 1st before they start in the gym. do research before you start.

G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I was a trainer at Balley's for a month before I quit due to the gimmicks and lack of respect for clients. It was all about sellling the package. Getting someone in shape was a secondary goal. Trainers there are required to be nationally certified but that doesn't mean they choose a good cert. I think the majority were NASM which I feel is inferior to several others. In any case, I now have my own independant personal training business and I can tell my trainees the truth about training instead of turning them into helpless rubber band snapping, physio-ball popping, frog hopping babies.

I do want to give some credit to the physio-ball and those rubber band things. Those of you who think they are useless haven't used them correctly. I felt the same way until I started figuring out very challenging moves using those tools.