Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Eugen Sandow, et al

Does anyone else admire the strongmen of yore? Eugen Sandow is my favorite, but I also love reading about Saxon, The Mighty Atom, and Apollon. They're interesting characters, some eating amazing diets, and had incredible physiques for being around 100 years ago.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    Does anyone else admire the strongmen of yore? Eugen Sandow is my favorite, but I also love reading about Saxon, The Mighty Atom, and Apollon. They're interesting characters, some eating amazing diets, and had incredible physiques for being around 100 years ago.
    True. Eugene Sandow also lived a long time and was athletic in a way many current guys are not. Some of these real old time BBrs were also half gymnasts, half strongmen.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    True. Eugene Sandow also lived a long time and was athletic in a way many current guys are not. Some of these real old time BBrs were also half gymnasts, half strongmen.
    Ah, I should have known my kindred 1890s amigo would be into it.

I've been reading for years about these guys. I just can't get enough information about them to satisfy me. Sometimes I've gone back and read the same articles and write ups numerous times like I can get inside their heads if I read about them enough. LOL
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ah, I should have known my kindred 1890s amigo would be into it.

I've been reading for years about these guys. I just can't get enough information about them to satisfy me. Sometimes I've gone back and read the same articles and write ups numerous times like I can get inside their heads if I read about them enough. LOL

I like three things about these old guys: they were into health, not merely size, and were drug free; they had functional strength and could and did do many things with their muscles, often in a truly extempore fashion; and they were unique in a world that reviled the physical, at least ostensibly. What a time that would've been to be a bodybuilder who knew how to hit the muscles.

- Anon

Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

I like three things about these old guys: they were into health, not merely size, and were drug free; they had functional strength and could and did do many things with their muscles, often in a truly extempore fashion; and they were unique in a world that reviled the physical, at least ostensibly. What a time that would've been to be a bodybuilder who knew how to hit the muscles.
    I love the poster of him side-pressing the two men in baskets.

Also, taxation is theft.

I love the poster of him side-pressing the two men in baskets.
    There's another of him with a platform full of people on his back.

- Anon

Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm (lazily) researching Kate Robert (aka Vulcana - 1875 – 1946).

Stronger than most men at the time - and very much a gym-rat.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...anaflexing.jpg

Niiiiice arms!
    I'm Buddha-sized and full of wisdom... and fat.
    ~
    Proud member of "Thick Chicks"
    ~
    Status: Wrist back in action - starting weights again tomorrow morning (light - don't want to re-injure!). On an IBS-friendly diet which is resulting in less sick days, and weight dropping (fricken YAY!)

Originally Posted by Tishalicious View Post
    I'm (lazily) researching Kate Robert (aka Vulcana - 1875 ? 1946).

Stronger than most men at the time - and very much a gym-rat.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...anaflexing.jpg

Niiiiice arms!
    Never heard of her - kind of a muscle version of Annie Oakley. Thanks!

- Anon

Originally Posted by tropszzz View Post
    http://www.sandowmuseum.com/

I have spent many hours at this site....
    I love the man - but unfortunately on this first picture he looks like he's sniffing his underarms...

- Anon

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's very cool that many of these men and women played to packed houses in Europe and the US.
    " ----------I`m your Huckleberry......'"

John Adams

mule2625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mule2625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mule2625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mule2625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mule2625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mule2625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mule2625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mule2625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mule2625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mule2625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mule2625 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Did you know that during the course of his life he was appointed Minister of health for the united kingdom, Bodybuilders and strongmen were considered to heave great knowledge regarding health and longevity and were revered more so than doctors..
    http://www.myspace.com/mule2625

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There's an interesting book written by Randy Roach called "Muscle, Smoke, and Mirrors" (I can't remember the publisher's name) and it touches on the early days of bodbuilding/strength training, as well as the early supplement pioneers, among other topics. Perhaps Amazon.com has it; I've read excerpts and it's a fascinating chronicle.

Sandow was a magnificent performer by all accounts, and was just about as strong as he looked. Died at 58 from a cerebral hemmorhage (after reportedly pulling a car out of a ditch) and was more or less disowned by his wife, as he was a notorious womanizer and not very faithful. David Chapman is a well-known collector of strongman memorabilia, and has incredible insgiht into those days of yore.

As for strongmen, The Mighty Atom and Slim "The Hammer Man" Farman were always my two favourites.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Sandow is buried at Putney cemetary, about 60 miles from me. When I pass, I'm thinking about paying a visit.

This is really cool. I had no idea there were so many fans and admirers of the old strongmen.

I didn't know Sandow was a womanizer, but weren't most men back then? Hell, aren't most men now?

Stevelegh, stop thinking and go. If I lived near his grave, I'd go leave a kettlebell on it.

Also, taxation is theft.

musculardad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musculardad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musculardad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musculardad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musculardad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musculardad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musculardad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musculardad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musculardad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musculardad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musculardad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am also very impressed with the bodybuilders and strongmen of yesterday. The physical development they accomplished with the limited knowledge of the day is impressive. Thanks for the site on Sandow.
    MuscularDad

Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Stevelegh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    This is really cool. I had no idea there were so many fans and admirers of the old strongmen.

I didn't know Sandow was a womanizer, but weren't most men back then? Hell, aren't most men now?

Stevelegh, stop thinking and go. If I lived near his grave, I'd go leave a kettlebell on it.
    The best thing about Sandow's womanising is that women would pay $300 to have a close up viewing of him and have the opportunity to 'touch' him.

Now if you think about it, Victorian women didn't work and society was largely based around socialising. Women would actually get their husbands to pay what was then a huge amount of money for them to take these 'private audiences' so they could go off to their ladies tea parties and regale how they met and touched the great Sandow.

$300 to get felt up and the ladies old man paying for it?

I can't see him refusing any other 'services' when that kind of money is being laid on the table!

Rock on Sandow!

Marius, I will get up there eventually. Apparently a gravestone has been fitted after the site lying unmarked at the family's request for years.

I think you may have inspired me. I'll take pics and post.

This is another good Sandow site with links about other strongmen.

www.sandowplus.co.uk/

Probably not safe for work. My company has it classified under "Nudity" even though as far as I know no oneis actually nude on it.

Also, taxation is theft.

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm also a bit of a fan of these guys. As a kid I was always amazed at what they were able to do with their bodies. Planted the seed that makes me what to keep working my muscles today.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Does anyone else admire the strongmen of yore? Eugen Sandow is my favorite,
    Yes, I believe they were true bodybuilders and strongmen. I like Sandow's physique. Did you know he had a 36" waist? That is heresy in today's bbing world, with the pursuit of the Holy Grail of the 30-32" waist.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    Yes, I believe they were true bodybuilders and strongmen. I like Sandow's physique. Did you know he had a 36" waist? That is heresy in today's bbing world, with the pursuit of the Holy Grail of the 30-32" waist.
    I think I read about his waist before. I would think you'd have to have a thick waist like that to perform the feats of strength he did.

I wonder if he celebrated Festivus...

Also, taxation is theft.

Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    As for strongmen, The Mighty Atom and Slim "The Hammer Man" Farman were always my two favourites.

"spiritual Journey" IMO is the most interesting book I've ever read!

I've shaken SLIM's hand a few times, he takes it easy on me since I'm a little guy, but the big guys, watch out, he makes them cry!!!

I bent a 1/2" rebar across the bridge of my nose at AOBS last year for him, then scrolled it across my thigh, I've done 9/16" but thats hit or miss for me.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Luke,

Do you do strongman training exclusively? I've never tried bending bars or anything like that before, just general training. Sounds cool you actually met Farman; from what I've read about him he's practically a legend.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10) CYLON RAIDER is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Originally Posted by CYLON RAIDER View Post
    Bookmarked!

I saw a book supposedly written by Sandow today. I'm going to try to see if he actually wrote it, and if so, buy it.

Also, taxation is theft.

Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Luke Whippo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    Luke,

Do you do strongman training exclusively? I've never tried bending bars or anything like that before, just general training. Sounds cool you actually met Farman; from what I've read about him he's practically a legend.

hey Guy,

I am fortunate to have known a guy since middle school, we became training partners iin our mid-20's and both got into strongman contests and feats of strength, he happens to have made good freinds with SLIMS buddies, so I got to tag along to a dinner in honor of SLIM in madison N.J. I believe in 2006, he is the last of the old-time performing strongmen and gave us all a show after the dinner.

at AOBS (again in N.J.) they now have a "rising stars" show before the dinner, it's to show all the new blood, I was asked to do some bar bending across the nose (I do not feel worthy of such things in front of SLIM), but I was asked (1/2" is good for a guy at my height and arm span), plus I had another feat to show.

I suck at short nail bending, I can only bend 1/4" carrage bolts (not the cold rolled kind eithier) so I took this bolt (I made sure that at least some guys who did alot of bicep curls still could not dent it LOL) and I tied over 100lbs in kettlebells together and lifted them with my teeth, as I supported the weight gripped in my jaw, I bent the bolt way out in front of me.

the guys seemed to have enjoyed that one!!!

My tarining partner won SLIM and Dennis Rogers "feats of strength" contest, with a creative feat (it's top secert still).

My main interest is super-yoke (squat), carrying feats, but I bend a bar every now and then, plus I do more bizzare strength feats at which I will not disscuss online (stuff that has made my fiance cry).

at the rising stars a guy sonny (in his sixties) bent bottlecaps (import) he palced the bottom (pointed edges) on his index and middle fingers and pushed through the top of them with his thumb and folded them, very impressive, he had the bottoms of the caps scarred into his fingers!!!!!!

Originally Posted by mule2625 View Post
    Did you know that during the course of his life he was appointed Minister of health for the united kingdom, Bodybuilders and strongmen were considered to heave great knowledge regarding health and longevity and were revered more so than doctors..
    I actually didn't know that. I wish we were looked upon that way now. We probably wouldn't have a pill for whatever ails you now if that were still the case.

Also, taxation is theft.

GeorgiaRick has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Big Sandow fan here, and all the old time showman BBers. Have put together a small collection of old books and magazines of the era and am always up to talk about those guys. Still an inspiration.
    Rick

Trace333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trace333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trace333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trace333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trace333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trace333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trace333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trace333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trace333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trace333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trace333 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I LOOOOOOOOOOVE Strongman!!!!! I catch the old/newer marathons on ESPN and watch it all day. I really like Mariusz Pudzianowski. It's amazing what these guys can do.

Originally Posted by GeorgiaRick View Post
    Big Sandow fan here, and all the old time showman BBers. Have put together a small collection of old books and magazines of the era and am always up to talk about those guys. Still an inspiration.
    Rick
    Any books by the men of the late 19th/early 20th century? I'm always looking for ones I don't have or haven't already read.

Also, taxation is theft.

Smile

Marius,

Check out David Chapman's collection--I'm sure he has a website--he's one of the biggest collectors of strongman memorabilia around. Also, check out naturalstrength.com--there are references there from Alan Calvert and Mark Berry, among others.

Luke,

That must've been a damn fine show. I never had the hand strength to do what these guys--or you--do, but it's really cool you can do that kind of stuff.