UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Dangers in deadlifting off a platform?

I recently deadlifted off a relatively high platform, the barbell was level with my toes. Although I was pulling only 315 lbs (70% of my 1RM), it was a big challenge.
    I'm thinking of incorporating platform deads in my routine, I figure they'll help me increase my 1RM.

But are there any dangers in this type of deadlifts, especially on high platforms? Any cautions?

Thanks.

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    There definately are some dangers. The larger the ROM of a deadlift, the more likely your lower back will be to round which you don't want to do under any weight. If it were me, I'd stick to weights I can somewhat easily do, and stay the hell away from failure.

Though, pulling in the 400-450 range, you should be able to get plenty more progress without even needing to resort to platform pulls. So if you wanted to avoid the possibility of rounding altogether, just use some form of periodization to help increase your deadlifts. The Coan/Phillipi deadlift program is one of the best. Just watch for muscular overtraining in your lower back. The CP program can be a tad bit much for some guys.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Very informative, VikingMan! Thanks.

Regarding the CP program, how many times a week are you supposed to do it? Twice perhaps?
    Last edited by UtahRocks; 03-28-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by UtahRocks View Post
    Very informative, VikingMan! Thanks.

Regarding the CP program, how many times a week are you supposed to do it? Twice perhaps?
    The CP program was one of the most stressful deadlift programs I ever did. In 4 weeks, I went from having pulled 525 for a single about 8 weeks prior, to pulling 510X2 with awesome bar speed.

You wouldn't want to use it twice in the same week. That would be severe overkill. Once every 7-9 days is more than sufficient. It's a periodized program though. So you need to go find the calculator, input your numbers, and it tells you exactly what to do each week.

Keep a very close eye on lower back muscular overtraining though. If you begin to experience lots of tightness, proceed WITH CAUTION.

I actually rounded on that second rep with 510 due to the muscular overtraining I was "working through". I'm still getting over it. However, it wasn't the program's fault, it was mine.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I recently deadlifted off a relatively high platform, the barbell was level with my toes. Although I was pulling only 315 lbs (70% of my 1RM), it was a big challenge.
    I'm thinking of incorporating platform deads in my routine, I figure they'll help me increase my 1RM.

But are there any dangers in this type of deadlifts, especially on high platforms? Any cautions?

Thanks.
    I sometimes do them off a block, just make sure its extra slow especially on the negative. Also - wear steel capped boots!

Originally Posted by feltmann View Post
    I sometimes do them off a block, just make sure its extra slow especially on the negative. Also - wear steel capped boots!
    How high is the block? Above barbell level?

I usually dont do the negative part when going heavy, I just drop the bar (I use bumper plates)

I pull in socks. Why work boots?

feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) feltmann is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Its high enough so the weights never touch the ground during the set - so bar can just touch the feet. Wear the boots if youre not using straps & going close to failure in case you drop the bar. I usually wear straps though when maxin out.
    Overall I do them off the block every third session for something a bit different. So std off the ground most of the time.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

I really don't see the point of pulling from that big a platform. It completely changes the lift. 2-3" of elevation is enough to get the benefits out of platform deads IMO.

Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post
    It completely changes the lift.
    Thats true, it becomes kind of like half way between a regular deadlift & a stiff-legged one.