Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Why Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is THE art to learn if you can learn only one!

Guys,
    Some of you may have read the thread asking which martial art one should take if they can only take one. In that argument, I've decided to post an article I wrote about BJJ.

Go ahead and give it a read and tell me what you think!

http://www.helium.com/tm/174506/thre...nswer-question

DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Women have been knowing this way before any of us.

They were the primary students of BJJ self defense classes in America before ufc.

Spuddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Spuddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Spuddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Spuddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Spuddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Spuddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Spuddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Spuddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Spuddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Spuddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Spuddy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DaHooligan View Post

They were the primary students of BJJ self defense classes in America before ufc.
    im assuming this is because they could stop a rapist with bjj more than any other art

as for a regular street/bar fight, id rather know how to box- one punch and its over. better yet,learn both
    siggy

DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000) DaHooligan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Spuddy View Post
    im assuming this is because they could stop a rapist with bjj more than any other art

as for a regular street/bar fight, id rather know how to box- one punch and its over. better yet,learn both
    I think helio gracie said it best the most effective is boxing and jiu jitsu/wrestling.

Im more of a fan of sprawl and brawl but only if you have the athletic prowess to use it...

but for the weaker person BJJ is the way to go.

wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TheClips View Post
    Guys,
    Some of you may have read the thread asking which martial art one should take if they can only take one. In that argument, I've decided to post an article I wrote about BJJ.

Go ahead and give it a read and tell me what you think!

http://www.helium.com/tm/174506/thre...nswer-question
    I would rather do combat sambo if I had to pick ONE style.
    Mirin'triceps peak? Thanks westside barbell.

Gettin'older, studying MMA in Brazil gonna fight soon, on my own crew.

On & on & on on & on ssmokinjoe's Avatar
    ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ssmokinjoe has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I honestly have yet to do any BJJ training. I've trained some boxing and muy thai, but i suppose adding some BJJ techniques would be a very useful addition, especially for being in the guard and recognizing locks and holds and for escapes. I don't plan on ever doing any kind of competitive stuff anymore but i still do techniques to stay in shape and as a release.
    yo mama is so _____

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

that's odd
    in my JJ class there is only one chick

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think helio gracie said it best the most effective is boxing and jiu jitsu/wrestling.

Im more of a fan of sprawl and brawl but only if you have the athletic prowess to use it...

but for the weaker person BJJ is the way to go.
    actually BJJ isn't that great for weak people
    no style of grappling is
    and it's nice to nkow Helio agreed with Bruce Lee

izzm is on a distinguished road. (+10) izzm is on a distinguished road. (+10) izzm is on a distinguished road. (+10) izzm is on a distinguished road. (+10) izzm is on a distinguished road. (+10) izzm is on a distinguished road. (+10) izzm is on a distinguished road. (+10) izzm is on a distinguished road. (+10) izzm is on a distinguished road. (+10) izzm is on a distinguished road. (+10) izzm is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you can only take one style, I'd take Judo. Find a good instructor who teaches you the ground game.

For self defense, Judo would also be better.

Use the biggest thing in the room to beat up your opponent. It's common sense. The floor.

Coach McGuirk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coach McGuirk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coach McGuirk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coach McGuirk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coach McGuirk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coach McGuirk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coach McGuirk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coach McGuirk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coach McGuirk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coach McGuirk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coach McGuirk has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by izzm View Post
    If you can only take one style, I'd take Judo. Find a good instructor who teaches you the ground game.

For self defense, Judo would also be better.

Use the biggest thing in the room to beat up your opponent. It's common sense. The floor.
    ya it seems like judo gets no credit in mma.... judo is insane...

tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    has BJJ become the generic term for all types of Jujitsu?

Originally Posted by Kane Fan View Post
    that's odd
    in my JJ class there is only one chick

lol how is it odd? this was before ufc came out...not now.

thats how the gracies made most of there money from bjj self defense classes and most of there clients were women at the time.

marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) marvrealdeal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If your planning to compete against other trained fighters, BJJ is probably the best as you will both eventually end up on the ground if the defense for takedown is not too good. If you mean self defense on the street, boxing or muay thai is the one for me. A quick 1-2 to KO someone. If there's 2 people its also better to KO 1 guy and scare the other guy away rather than rolling around with him and get your head stomped in.

I throw spinning sh*t HardGainer82's Avatar
    HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

thats how the gracies made most of there money from bjj self defense classes and most of there clients were women at the time.
    Exactly...especially since most men would never think of holding another guy between their legs. Until Royce showed the world how effective it was.
    "The sun is always gonna rise, and always gonna set and I'll just keep on punching because everyday is gonna bring something different and I just want to be ready for it."
    - Jens Pulver

If you refer to a fighter who you've never met in real life as "my boy" as though their performance somehow reflects well on you for simply being a fan, you're a lame ass.

LanceBoggs is on a distinguished road. (+10) LanceBoggs is on a distinguished road. (+10) LanceBoggs is on a distinguished road. (+10) LanceBoggs is on a distinguished road. (+10) LanceBoggs is on a distinguished road. (+10) LanceBoggs is on a distinguished road. (+10) LanceBoggs is on a distinguished road. (+10) LanceBoggs is on a distinguished road. (+10) LanceBoggs is on a distinguished road. (+10) LanceBoggs is on a distinguished road. (+10) LanceBoggs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by tabloid View Post
    has BJJ become the generic term for all types of Jujitsu?
    no, there are probably hundreds of ju jutsu styles some classical and some modern. BJJ is the ju jutsu adaptation made by the Gracie family and marketed under that name. I don't recall what style of Ju jutsu they studied before

Originally Posted by HardGainer82 View Post
    Exactly...especially since most men would never think of holding another guy between their legs. Until Royce showed the world how effective it was.
    yup

thats why i laugh now at all these guys talking about ill take it to the ground lol most of the guys who say that now used to clown me back in 98 when i took self defense bjj classes in highschool.

if people realize one thing and no insult but thats how girls fight...give women credit where credit is do...no one taught them bjj if you watch a chick fight they automatically mount and ground and pound or pull hair lol.

its natural for them in a fight.

most of the fights i seen at school pre ufc guys always stood back up even in a bar fight...they just swung at each other.

most of the time if you wind up trying to choke a guy out you would get jumped and kicked by the guys buddies...jiu jitsu is effective in self defense style scenarios like "one on one" against a mugger or rapist...but jiu jitsu does not fair well with multi opponents, judo would actually be much better with a bit of boxing and striking arts.

this was great marketing by the gracies they knew how to market there style...their motto almost all fights end up in the ground true...but they never said the rest that people usually stand back up and trade punches.

I love brazilian jiu jitsu but its difficult to fight off many guys with it but for one on one its very effective.

I suggest people should try some filipino martial arts they specialize in using any object as a weapon when in very difficult scenarios its not for sport but more to save your ass.
    Last edited by DaHooligan; 03-29-2007 at 01:14 PM.

TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yup

thats why i laugh now at all these guys talking about ill take it to the ground lol most of the guys who say that now used to clown me back in 98 when i took self defense bjj classes in highschool.

if people realize one thing and no insult but thats how girls fight...give women credit where credit is do...no one taught them bjj if you watch a chick fight they automatically mount and ground and pound or pull hair lol.

its natural for them in a fight.

most of the fights i seen at school pre ufc guys always stood back up even in a bar fight...they just swung at each other.

most of the time if you wind up trying to choke a guy out you would get jumped and kicked by the guys buddies...jiu jitsu is effective in self defense style scenarios like "one on one" against a mugger or rapist...but jiu jitsu does not fair well with multi opponents, judo would actually be much better with a bit of boxing and striking arts.

this was great marketing by the gracies they knew how to market there style...their motto almost all fights end up in the ground true...but they never said the rest that people usually stand back up and trade punches.

I love brazilian jiu jitsu but its difficult to fight off many guys with it but for one on one its very effective.

I suggest people should try some filipino martial arts they specialize in using any object as a weapon when in very difficult scenarios its not for sport but more to save your ass.
    I've noticed that about fighting chicks too! That's kinda ironic, huh?

I was interested to know why you think judo would be better for multiple attackers--is it because of the throws? I just could see someone getting rushed by the others while trying to throw the one guy...

Honestly, if it ever came down to me being squared off against by 2+ guys, I would just run...I will admit that in that case, Muay Thai would probably be your best bet. Just throw a SICK leg kick and run!!

It's just that BJJ, to me, represents the worst case scenario. If you are fighting against one untrained guy and you are proficient in a striking art, you are good...But if you fall down or are taken down, you are just as "untrained" as your attacker.....

However, if you know BJJ, you can be "untrained" on your feet and hence equal to your attacker, (because everyone is capable of at least trying to punch and kick), but when it goes to the ground (especially if you're getting whipped on your feet and want to take it down then), you will own the dude...Basically, a fight is more likely to go on the ground and then stay there then it is to start on the feet and stay there.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I've noticed that about fighting chicks too! That's kinda ironic, huh?

I was interested to know why you think judo would be better for multiple attackers--is it because of the throws? I just could see someone getting rushed by the others while trying to throw the one guy...

Honestly, if it ever came down to me being squared off against by 2+ guys, I would just run...I will admit that in that case, Muay Thai would probably be your best bet. Just throw a SICK leg kick and run!!

It's just that BJJ, to me, represents the worst case scenario. If you are fighting against one untrained guy and you are proficient in a striking art, you are good...But if you fall down or are taken down, you are just as "untrained" as your attacker.....

However, if you know BJJ, you can be "untrained" on your feet and hence equal to your attacker, (because everyone is capable of at least trying to punch and kick), but when it goes to the ground (especially if you're getting whipped on your feet and want to take it down then), you will own the dude...Basically, a fight is more likely to go on the ground and then stay there then it is to start on the feet and stay there.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
    I agree BJJ is the best against 1 untrained guy or attacker but not multiple guys.

when i took self defense classes wayyyy back when...they said to us the best self defense in a street confrontation is to spot the trouble signs and avoid dangerous confrontations as much as possible...that is the best defense .

some guys try to act tough because they know how to box, wrestle, bjj...but dont realize the involvement of weapons and drugs...ever fight a guy on pcp? dont matter how trained you are he would take your best punches and kill you even if you broke his arm.

here is a good example of boxing be effective against 2 foes..if this guy tried to get one of the thugs backs the other thug would stomp the **** out of him...you gotta keep it on your feet.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=0mo_1AKveRo
    Last edited by DaHooligan; 03-29-2007 at 10:03 PM.

Cyclops will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyclops will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyclops will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyclops will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyclops will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyclops will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyclops will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyclops will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyclops will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyclops will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyclops will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree BJJ is the best against 1 untrained guy or attacker but not multiple guys.

when i took self defense classes wayyyy back when...they said to us the best self defense in a street confrontation is to spot the trouble signs and avoid dangerous confrontations as much as possible...that is the best defense .

some guys try to act tough because they know how to box, wrestle, bjj...but dont realize the involvement of weapons and drugs...ever fight a guy on pcp? dont matter how trained you are he would take your best punches and kill you even if you broke his arm.

here is a good example of boxing be effective against 2 foes..if this guy tried to get one of the thugs backs the other thug would stomp the **** out of him...you gotta keep it on your feet.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=0mo_1AKveRo
    Yepp, that fight was over in less than 15 seconds and it was 2v1...

BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BORN2LOSE has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    There was this hot girl that used to show up in our classes with spandex on. Way too much.
    Putting fools to sleep since 2005
    Prime BJJ

DaHooligan,

I've seen that video before, but thanks for the illustration to your post....

Obviously, it took care of two people and I agree that BJJ would have gotten him stomped...

But do you think it would've went the same way had those dude's not been surprised by the boxer?...Like, if maybe they had thrown a sucker punch on the boxer and both been "ready" to fight before it began??

I'm not arguing, I'm just wondering would it have been different?

Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Jesus christ...

every friggin thread turns into "lolz BJJ is teh suckz because 2 guyz wud stomp u!!1"

tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50) tabloid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LanceBoggs View Post
    no, there are probably hundreds of ju jutsu styles some classical and some modern. BJJ is the ju jutsu adaptation made by the Gracie family and marketed under that name. I don't recall what style of Ju jutsu they studied before
    I think you miss read what I posted. It seams like because of he UFC, every body and their mother thinks BJJ is the only form of submission grappling. Like Carlos Gracie invented submission techniques. It's really annoying to me.

DaHooligan,

I've seen that video before, but thanks for the illustration to your post....

Obviously, it took care of two people and I agree that BJJ would have gotten him stomped...

But do you think it would've went the same way had those dude's not been surprised by the boxer?...Like, if maybe they had thrown a sucker punch on the boxer and both been "ready" to fight before it began??

I'm not arguing, I'm just wondering would it have been different?

to be honest we cant tell what happens but we can know the best way to avoid things or defende certain situations.

multiple opponents=bjj no good
    single opponent=bjj ownage.

boxer gets owned by bjj guy cause he takes it to the ground.

Street fights unpredictable...

either way anything can happen its dangerous a knife could be pulled a gun.

OntarioGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OntarioGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OntarioGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OntarioGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OntarioGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OntarioGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OntarioGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OntarioGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OntarioGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OntarioGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OntarioGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There was a recent article in Black Belt magazine about when its best to grapple or stay on your feet. I believe it said grappling is good if your trying to arrest someone (security/cop), one-on-one, or a sexual assualt of a female, however for multiple opponents, its recommended you stay on your feet. I can't remember the other scenarios, it's from the Feb or MArch issue of BB

Get-Big has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Get-Big has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Get-Big has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Get-Big has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Get-Big has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Get-Big has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Get-Big has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Get-Big has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Get-Big has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Get-Big has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Get-Big has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i dont know much about BJJ maybe 1 of the guys here who train it can inform me but is it mostly fighting on the ground? i do kno i a little about akideo which i think is good 4 SELF DEFENCE and not picking fights does any1 train akideo?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1846321

Originally Posted by windsorguy29 View Post
    There was a recent article in Black Belt magazine about when its best to grapple or stay on your feet. I believe it said grappling is good if your trying to arrest someone (security/cop), one-on-one, or a sexual assualt of a female, however for multiple opponents, its recommended you stay on your feet. I can't remember the other scenarios, it's from the Feb or MArch issue of BB

The best thing to do is avoid any fight going to ground! as much as possible keep it on your feet becuase if it gets dirty you can run and move incase weapons get pulled.

imagine if you got a guy in gaurd and your trying to hold him down he bites you, his arms are still free and he pulls a pocket knife while your trying to secure a triangle choke on him and he gets his pen or pocket knife out while your on your back? and shanks you repeatedly in your abodomen?

how is that gonna help you?

always keep it standing as much as possible and give yourself room to run.

well it's odd because why would women stop going?
    I mean when men show up women just stop coming....do they still think we have coodies?

Originally Posted by BORN2LOSE View Post
    There was this hot girl that used to show up in our classes with spandex on. Way too much.
    yah
    yah that can be rough
    yoru like hang on let me make sure this cup is secure...

Originally Posted by windsorguy29 View Post

I think trying to defend yourself from sexual assult by grappling is a terrible idea