mark26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Leg exercises that are bad for you knees

I heard somewhere that leg extensions are really bad for your knees and put huge "shear forces" on the joint. Is this true?

I want to work my legs hard but preserve my knees at the same time. Can you guys recommend some good exercises?

thanks
    Mark

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    just stick w/ heavy squatting movements (front, back, box, chain, overhand); all you need for legs
    Booo

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    stick with compounds.... leg extensions can damage your kneees... i saw my friend rip his knee ligaments...

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not that I do them but.

I have actually heard that leg extensions are the only excersize where you can lock your knees.
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

Thanks for all the advice guys. Can you list some specific exercises that I should use?

Mark

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by mark26
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Can you list some specific exercises that I should use?

Mark
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    just stick w/ heavy squatting movements (front, back, box, chain, overhand); all you need for legs
    Booo

FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    Not that I do them but.

I have actually heard that leg extensions are the only excersize where you can lock your knees.
    You shoudl lock your knees out on every leg exercise.

Kc
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

http://fortified-iron.com/board/entry.php?2-FortifiedIron-Wave-Progress-For-Strength-Training

Per Ferrum, Ad Astra- Mel Siff

hmmm, squats only. That is something new to me. But I am sure it works, I will give it a shot.

buggy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buggy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buggy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buggy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buggy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i have bad knee's, i can do squats and legpresses with a heavy weight and i dont feel any discomfort. As soon as i do leg extensions my knees start to hurt and stay sore for a few days afterwards. I have stopped doing them, i do lunges instead..